Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Ragnar is heading to Titletown

Posted May 21, 2006

[size=18px]Cruise for Cancer leaves bitter rivalry in the dust [/size]

By Andy Behrendt
    abehrend@greenbaypressgazette.com

In a battle as tough as the fight against cancer, even the worst of rivalries can be put aside.

With that, Green Bay Packers security director Jerry Parins has found an unlikely ally in Ragnar, the Minnesota Vikings mascot. The biking Viking is coming to Titletown for Parins' third-annual Cruise for Cancer.

"I guess I hated the man because he is the greatest mascot, I think, in the National Football League, and he does his job well," said Parins, who was diagnosed with cancer in 2003 and has used the annual motorcycle ride to help other families fighting the disease.

Parins and Ragnar, aka Joe Juranitch, met before Parins' illness and reconnected last year. After discussing the ride, Ragnar agreed to bring his famed motorcycle and some family and friends from Vikings country for this year's event on June 10.

On Friday, Parins presented $38,000 from last year's event to five local cancer-support organizations: St. Vincent Hospital Pediatric Oncology Department, St. Vincent Hospital/Compassionate Care Fund, Unity Hospice, Families of Children with Cancer and the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. Made possible by nearly 1,000 people with more than 600 motorcycles, the figure topped the first-year total of $27,500.

The first leg of this year's ride will lead to Vandervest Harley-Davidson in Peshtigo, where there will be food from Kroll's West for sale and live music from Little Cisco. Returning to Green Bay, riders will join any other members of the public for a 3 p.m. tailgate party outside Lambeau Field, where there will be more music from Toyboxx and a raffle and auction, including a Packers breast-cancer cap autographed by Brett and Deanna Favre.

This year's ride comes in a month of June that's jam-packed with Green Bay-area motorcycle parades. It's sandwiched between the 13th annual Packerland Ride for the Muscular Dystrophy Association on June 3 and the Wisconsin State H.O.G. Rally, which visits the area for the first time June 23-25.

Parins' event, however, boasts some special star power. Although only Packers strength and conditioning coach Rock Gullickson is expected to join Parins and Ragnar in the ride, players such as Samkon Gado and Najeh Davenport will be on hand for other festivities. Coach Mike McCarthy will come up from the Vince Lombardi Golf Classic in Menomonee Falls for the tailgate party, Parins said.

Riders who pre-register by June 5 are eligible for a chance to win a Cruise for Cancer cap autographed by the Packers' 2006 No. 1 draft choice, A.J. Hawk.

"I'm so fortunate to have the Green Bay Packers and Lambeau Field as a starting and finishing point here," said Parins, although keeping the focus on the recipients. "A lot of people, cancer has touched them, and I'm just looking to bring the motorcycle people out."

The effort may be getting somewhere when that base of motorcycle people extends far enough for Ragnar to join the green and gold. But the same may not be true for his bike.

"It might be Viking colors," Parins cautioned.

Cruise for Cancer leaves bitter rivalry in the dust

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Re: Ragnar is heading to Titletown

Jun 11, 2006 3:18 pm US/Central

[size=18px]The Cruise For Cancer Is Another Roaring Success[/size]

Video with Ragnar & full story:The Cruise For Cancer Is Another Roaring Success

:shock: Ragnar is from Milwaukee?

:scratch: I wonder if he was a Packer fan when he was growing up.

If he was, it's proof positive that you get smarter as you grow older.

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

hahaha, so true =)

i think its awesome he decided to do it, and Parins was right, he is the best mascot

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

UTVikfan is offline Coordinator

Ha, and people last year wanted to fire him. He is a great mascot, and a very good person, seems to me.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Cool dude! Ragnar is GREAT!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

When it comes to life threatning illness, put all things aside.. I have alot of respect for our mascot for what he is doing.. Just shows that the Vikings still have class after all that has happened..

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

I love Ragnar. I still think it's hilarious that he's a HS principal. He must be the greatest principal ever.

WBLVikeBabe is offline Jersey Retired

Ragnar is awesome. I found this website about him awhile back and thought it was pretty neat. And Ltrey I don't think he is the principal, but looks like Assistant Dean of Students. Whatever that means. But check out this website, it's pretty cool if you want to learn more about him. Could you imagine having Ragnar as the security officer at your school? :lol:
    http://www.ragnartheviking.com/about.htm

[move]My beautiful sig made by the one and only PPE![/move]

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

I like ragnar, it's hilarious when he dances with the Vikings cheeleaders.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast