Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

RACINO already has many legislative backers

http://vikingsfansunited.webs.com/apps/blog/show/2314431-overheard-at-the-capitol-racino-already-has-many-legislative-backers

We’re working on several stories for PIM Weekly related to Sen. Dick Day’s announcement this week that he’s retiring to run an organization called Racino Now. But here’s some buzz about the legislative head count.

According to one well-placed source with knowledge of the effort, there are currently 55 House members and 31 senators who would support a racino plan tied to a Vikings stadium.
    To put it in perspective, there are 67 Senators and 134 Representatives. That means that 46% of the Senate and 41% of the House support a bill that hasn't even been finalized in committee yet. For Racino supporters, this is very good news.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re:RACINO already has many legislative backers

so for those of us that out of state, how long are these percentages going to be in office before the next round of elections are due? More than 6 months so that there is a fighting chance of something positive happening ?
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

Blog Entries

AngloVike wrote:
    so for those of us that out of state, how long are these percentages going to be in office before the next round of elections are due? More than 6 months so that there is a fighting chance of something positive happening ?
    Well, the legislative session starts in February, and the elections aren't until November, so that should bode well for this session at least.

As far as relection, I believe (and someone correct me if I am wrong) that in 2010 every single seat in the Minnesota Legislature (both House and Senate) is up for relection.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

ThorSPL is offline Team Alumni

NodakPaul wrote:
    AngloVike wrote:
    Well, the legislative session starts in February, and the elections aren't until November, so that should bode well for this session at least.

As far as relection, I believe (and someone correct me if I am wrong) that in 2010 every single seat in the Minnesota Legislature (both House and Senate) is up for relection.
    I am not up on the Minnesota legislation, but I would think they'd follow some of the federal guidelines. Generally speaking, the US Congress positions have always tended to stagger their elections, so not every seat was up at the same time. The reasons for this are likely to keep some sort of flow/continuity going between classes of congresspeople.

For example, I believe Senate seats are 6 years and 1/3 of them go up for reelection every 2 years. Representatives are 4 years and also go every 2 years.... I THINK. I'm at work and am too lazy to google it My guess is the state mimics this system.

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

www.twitter.com/ThorSPL

Great news!

Blog Entries

ThorSPL wrote:
    NodakPaul wrote:
    AngloVike wrote:

I am not up on the Minnesota legislation, but I would think they'd follow some of the federal guidelines. Generally speaking, the US Congress positions have always tended to stagger their elections, so not every seat was up at the same time. The reasons for this are likely to keep some sort of flow/continuity going between classes of congresspeople.

For example, I believe Senate seats are 6 years and 1/3 of them go up for reelection every 2 years. Representatives are 4 years and also go every 2 years.... I THINK. I'm at work and am too lazy to google it My guess is the state mimics this system.
    That is how I expected it to work, but when I checked Google, it was different...

Senators are elected for 4 year terms on election years that end in 2 or 6. Senators are elected for 2 year terms on election years than end in 0.

House members are elected to 2 year terms.

After each election year that ends in 0, disrtict lines are redrawn according to the latest census.

So from that it sounds to me like there is a LOT of turnover in the Minnesota Legislature. Anyone from MN want to clarify for me?
    Zeus wrote:

=Z=

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

NodakPaul wrote:
    ThorSPL wrote:
    NodakPaul wrote:
    AngloVike wrote:

As far as reelection, I believe (and someone correct me if I am wrong) that in 2010 every single seat in the Minnesota Legislature (both House and Senate) is up for reelection.
    Pretty close.

The whole house is up for re election every 2 years. You were pretty much on with the senate. The Senate was set up to be staggered, for lack of a shorter explanation.

At any rate, I guess the legislators are starting to see things like I do and IMHO that gambling revenue is the only way funding a stadium will fly.

Of course I would take it farther and have a video poker screen on every seat in the stadium and slots in every suite if it were up to me.

That is how I expected it to work, but when I checked Google, it was different...

Senators are elected for 4 year terms on election years that end in 2 or 6. Senators are elected for 2 year terms on election years than end in 0.

House members are elected to 2 year terms.

After each election year that ends in 0, disrtict lines are redrawn according to the latest census.

So from that it sounds to me like there is a LOT of turnover in the Minnesota Legislature. Anyone from MN want to clarify for me?

fanofteam is offline Starter

NodakPaul wrote:

[/quote]

Senators serve terms of six years each; the terms are staggered so that approximately one-third of the seats are up for election every two years.

Blog Entries

fanofteam wrote:
    NodakPaul wrote:

Senators serve terms of six years each; the terms are staggered so that approximately one-third of the seats are up for election every two years.
    Not according to wiki. Remember, we are talking about the STATE legislature, not the US Senators from Minnesota.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_Senate
    The Minnesota Senate is the upper house in the Minnesota Legislature. There are 67 members, half as many as are in the Minnesota House of Representatives. Each Senate district in the state includes an A and B House district (e.g. Senate district 32 contains House districts 32A and 32B). The Minnesota Constitution forbids a House district to be within more than one Senate district. Before the 1960s, Senators were apportioned by county, resulting in the underrepresentation of those in cities. From statehood through 1972 the Lieutenant Governor of Minnesota served as President of the Senate. In 1972 the voters approved a constitutional amendment that provided for the senate to elect its own president from among its members effective January 1973. Functionally, the leadership in the Senate is vested in the Majority Leader.

Members are elected to four year terms in years ending in 2 and 6, and for two year terms in years ending in 0. Districts are redrawn after the census in time for the primary and general elections in years ending in 2. The state legislature is located in the Minnesota State Capitol building in Saint Paul, Minnesota.
    Zeus wrote:

=Z=

fanofteam is offline Starter

I was talking about Senators like Franken.

If I had to guess I think you're talking about represenatives from all of the districts in Minnesota, I have never heard of anyone but the 2 senators from each state reffered to as "senators" so it threw me off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast