Quotes on the Packer game by Childress, Johnson, McCarthy & Driver

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Quotes on the Packer game by Childress, Johnson, McCarthy & Driver

Interesting takes on the upcoming game!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Del Rio Guest

BIG time information in this article about some of our heated debates and all this gets is one post?

Del Rio Guest

: If Tarvaris Jackson hadn't had that knee problem, would he have accelerated faster or was this a learning year regardless?
    A: That's hard...you always ask me these hypothetical ones, these ones that require a crystal ball. Certainly he didn't want to miss those two or three weeks, but I think he's learning plenty right now. My strong preference would be not to have to put him in the fray.

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

Q: What is the primary function for the offensive coordinator during the game when he's not calling the plays?
    A: He's keeping you apprised of, kind of, as opposed to a play-by-play, there are some things you can't see on the far side of the field. That's what the height advantage gives you; what's happening on the far side, putting both sides of the coverage together. I generally get in the angle where I can get a little perspective as opposed to being lined up right in the huddle. That's not a very good perspective at all. Anything you may have missed or not seen on the far side. You can only look in one spot, whether you're looking at the point of attack or whether I'm standing there looking at coverage. In case I miss something, he can tell me what that was. It's kind of, what should I say, it's a technical litany that's going on. It's a 25 front, it's a cover five, corners press, you know those things all kind of conjure up an image in my mind in case at the angle I have. Sometimes you have trouble with the shades in the front, where they're lined up on those linemen. He and Heubs (Jim Heuber) can lend clarity to that.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Del" wrote:
    : If Tarvaris Jackson hadn't had that knee problem, would he have accelerated faster or was this a learning year regardless?
    A: That's hard...you always ask me these hypothetical ones, these ones that require a crystal ball. Certainly he didn't want to miss those two or three weeks, but I think he's learning plenty right now. My strong preference would be not to have to put him in the fray.
    So my take is that TJ was 'fortunate' in a way that he had those weeks out - else Childress may have been feeling a lot of pressure to maybe start him. I'd say that we will only see TJ play this year if we are mathmatically out of a play-off spot, otherwise expect to see Bollinger step in if the coaching staff look to make a change.

Have you talked to Troy (Williamson) at all about his struggles?
    A: At some point we all go through that. We all have to deal with it in our own way and we all encourage each other. Just keep working hard in practice and make those plays. Troy has improved. He's made some great plays for us this year and I'm sure he's had a couple he wished he had back. But Troy is a guy we're going to lean on heavy the second half of the season and he's going to make some big-time plays for us.
    Whether people like it or not Williamson will not be getting benched for the rest of the season. Childreess is looking to make him play through his troubles and work his way out of his current level of production.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

Del Rio Guest

"cogitans" wrote:
    Q: What is the primary function for the offensive coordinator during the game when he's not calling the plays?
    A: He's keeping you apprised of, kind of, as opposed to a play-by-play, there are some things you can't see on the far side of the field. That's what the height advantage gives you; what's happening on the far side, putting both sides of the coverage together. I generally get in the angle where I can get a little perspective as opposed to being lined up right in the huddle. That's not a very good perspective at all. Anything you may have missed or not seen on the far side. You can only look in one spot, whether you're looking at the point of attack or whether I'm standing there looking at coverage. In case I miss something, he can tell me what that was. It's kind of, what should I say, it's a technical litany that's going on. It's a 25 front, it's a cover five, corners press, you know those things all kind of conjure up an image in my mind in case at the angle I have. Sometimes you have trouble with the shades in the front, where they're lined up on those linemen. He and Heubs (Jim Heuber) can lend clarity to that.
    This is one of the questions that struck me as being a good one.

Sadly all I took from it is our OC is the highest paid secretary in the USA lol! Well there are copies to be made, coffee to be made.......lol

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

There's nothing really groundbreaking to any of Childress' answers to the questions.
    If you think a little before providing an emotion laden response most could have forecasted his responses.
    I'm not saying this because they are generic, canned responses...just because it make logical sense.

Answers like:

Q: You've had no trouble on the opening drive. What is the problem after that?
    ...As I mentioned to you, I make numbers of plays, of series, of drives, but it's fits and starts, and it's frustrating. But no more frustrating to me than it is to those guys, and they'll get it. It just may not be on everybody's time schedule. It's coming.
    This one really grinds my gonads.
    Some fans live on an immediate gratification timescale, they should be thankful that breathing is innate.

Q: Any thought to any lineup changes on offense?
    A: You have a limited number of moves that you can make. We're constantly in the process of that, whether it's giving a route to a guy that we feel like can run that route. You can call those lineup changes when you take people out and sub people in. Different guys do different things, but we're trying to play to what the guys do and what they do well.
    Coaching to the abilities of the players, another Einstein moment for some.

Q: Troy Williamson looked like he has lost some confidence. Have you lost confidence in him?
    A: I just think you have to play through. You can heighten yourself with balls caught during the day, balls caught after practice. You can't simulate those game time circumstances. We try to practice at a high level here, but success breeds confidence. There is not a magic serum that you can inject in him. You've got to play on. You've got to play through, and that's the toughest thing sometimes, whether it's the quarterback position or the wide receiver position.
    Another clever moment, just by the nature of his comments he infers what options are there available at this point and that he has confidence in him still, albeit somewhat questionable, so he relies on a cliche.

Q: Does it take a while for the offensive line to jell or do they continue jelling the whole season?
    A: I think there always is and you hear Hutch (Steve Hutchinson) talk about ‘five fingers make a fist.' I feel like they, for the most part, they've played pretty well this year. We've run the ball pretty successful for the most part and our pass protection has been good at times. When we've had bad things happen they've been bad. We just have to eliminate those things, get the play off earlier and give ourselves time at the line of scrimmage to make the calls.
    I was wondering about this the other day, Del, maybe you have some insight into this.
    It appears to me that a veteran line that has spent some time together doesn't need as much time right before the snap to make the adjustments so there is more flexibility in managing the play clock.
    With a line that is still starting to gel do you really need to get to the line of scrimmage a little faster so there is relatively more time to make calls at the line from the O-lines's perspective.
    Personally, I think one of the problems on the O-line is that Hutchinson should be the field general yelling out adjustments on the line instead of Birk.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Del Rio Guest

"Acumen" wrote:

I was wondering about this the other day, Del, maybe you have some insight into this.
    It appears to me that a veteran line that has spent some time together doesn't need as much time right before the snap to make the adjustments so there is more flexibility in managing the play clock.
    With a line that is still starting to gel do you really need to get to the line of scrimmage a little faster so there is relatively more time to make calls at the line from the O-lines's perspective.
    Personally, I think one of the problems on the O-line is that Hutchinson should be the field general yelling out adjustments on the line instead of Birk.
    I wouldnt have a problem with that. But the center usually does it because the right guard has a hard time seeing the left tackle lol.

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"Del" wrote:
    "Acumen" wrote:

I wouldnt have a problem with that. But the center usually does it because the right guard has a hard time seeing the left tackle lol.

The right guard is questionable anyway, does it really matter if he hears anything?
    Hutch said in an interview that he was doing some of that in Seattle last year.
    Just an idea.
    Hell, if it was up to you they would be swapping those bastards around and having a mediocre line across the board....possiblly a good idea though.

Since the Tarvaris issue should be dead now for anyone that has reading comprehension beyond the 2nd grade, what's the new controversy?
    I'm going with get Cook into the O-line and do a Braylock to Hicks.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast