COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

QUOTES FROM COACH CHILDRESS

http://www.vikings.com/news_detail_objectname_ChildressQuotes6206.html

June 2, 2006

Childress: We just finished six practices with the rookies and select vets. We tried to teach them our tempo, our system, kind of how we do business. They are doing a good job with all of those things. They should be able to compete more favorably than that first mini-camp when the veterans show back up here on Monday. A couple of injury things, Joey Goodspeed had surgery with Dr. (James) Andrews on Thursday, and Troy Williamson saw the doctor today down in South Carolina. He's going to see him again in two weeks. There is an outside chance that maybe he gets back for a little bit of that last mini-camp.

Q: What did you see from Aaron Hosack?
    A: Great hand-eye coordination. Obviously he's a bigger target, which quarterbacks love. He kind of vacuums up the football. As my old stats guy used to say, receivers by definition should receive, and he does a good job of doing that.

Q: How about Tarvaris Jackson?
    A: He's done a good job of jumping in. We got into some situational football here for both the offense and the defense. He's moving through the system and then learning how we do business in different situations such as your third down and your two-minute that you saw here today, but he's progressing.

Q: Do all of the reps he is getting really help?
    A: It really does. When you're the only guy on the line, you don't get to look around and say come on up here and take a turn. When you get every turn, generally you're going to improve, and that was kind of one of our thoughts in terms of just having him take every rep.

Q: You said he has been here quite a bit. How do you monitor that?
    A: Part of this two-week process is kind of teaching these guys how to be professionals as well. They don't have any idea. They are in this building, most of them, at 6:00 in the morning and a lot of them aren't leaving until 3:30 or 4:00 p.m. We're kind of monopolizing their time both on the field, in the classroom, in walk-throughs, just to kind of really accelerate the learning curve. He's done a great job of embracing that. You can't give him enough and he's kind of committing it all to memory.

Q: What are your thoughts on Ronyell Whitaker and what advantage does he have coming from the Tampa Bay system with Mike Tomlin?
    A: I think the great thing is that they have a feel for his football character and how he plays the game. He's a great competitor. He already caught our guys' eyes in special teams area. He's got a chance. You like those guys that compete. I think with all of those NFL Europe guys, particularly at the skill positions, (Aaron) Hosack, Whitaker, you have to be careful that you don't run their legs off because I go back to Brian Finneran with us the first year at Philadelphia. We ended up waiving him just because there was no gas left in the tank. He's a good football player and ended up having a nice career with Atlanta, but because NFL Europe had gone a little bit later back then and because he was a receiver, he spent about six months running. It's hard when you come to a training camp with all of that running when you've just been through a bunch of it.

Q: Is that always one of the biggest challenges is teaching guys that this is a full-time job?
    A: Well, it's more of a challenge but I'm not going to say it's the biggest challenge. Certainly part of what you are teaching them is professionalism that is involved. The tempo is different and the words and nomenclature is different. I would just say it's one of the challenges, probably not the biggest challenge.

Q: How familiar are you with Rick Spielman?
    A: I've known Rick for a long time and knew what kind of person he was, a good person, and I'm excited to be working with him. I'm very excited.

Q: Have you been happy with what you've seen from Chad Greenway?
    A: Yeah, as a matter of fact I think it was him that got his hands on one of Tarvaris' passes today. He did a good job coming off the backside. He's playing faster. The more these guys are familiar with their assignments, the faster they will play, and that's what we're trying to emphasize.

Q: Do you expect more veterans here next week?
    A: Yeah, I expect them all.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

DaunteHOF is offline Coach

Re: QUOTES FROM COACH CHILDRESS

Greenway showin why he's a 1st round pick
    Its not braggin if you can do it!!!

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

At least he didn't say TJ was breathing well! :lol:

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Good deal.. I am getting excited for the season..

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion

I love this quote.

Q: Do you expect more veterans here next week?
    A: Yeah, I expect them all.
    :thumbright:

WWBGD

bigdaddy72_1 is offline Starter

I really like hearing that TJ is getting alot of reps, and that he is spending alot of time at the facility. He really seems to have his head in right place to make something of himself in this league.

And Greenway is just being Greenway. Obviously, he is working hard, and will continue to dso nothing but improve as he learns his assignments.