cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

Quotes from camp - day 14 - Brad Childress

Head Coach Brad Childress
    vikings.com

Childress: Quickly, injuries. Koren Robinson was out of practice. He's doing a little treatment on that knee. He spent the morning inside with the trainers. Ciatrick Fason had that concussion from nine-on-seven drills. He sat out. He watched practice. He was on the side. Marcus Robinson is in treatment for that neck. He got his neck twisted in a handoff drill. He kind of got a little stinger there. He has had a couple of past stingers, but it looks like he's doing better and better. Jason Whittle left practice early. He had a rapid heart rate. He's had that condition before, and obviously that's not something you fool around with, so they got him inside and got him settled down. Darren Sharper was back in practice today.

One other word, Paul Wiggin is headed into the College Football Hall of Fame. What a great honor that is to be enshrined. They kind of do one thing in New York City in December I know, then they take him to South Bend where the College Football Hall of Fame is. Great career as a player and as a coach. My congratulations and my hat go off to him. He happens to be going in with a pretty good receiver, Jerry Rice, and one of the receivers I coached at Illinois, David Williams. Obviously I couldn't be present down there for him, but David Williams played for me at the University of Illinois. I'm excited for all those guys.

Good practice today. We worked short. We worked hard. We can get a lot of work done in a short period of time if we're at the right tempo. A couple of move the ball segments that you saw. End of the game situation there where one timeout we get a completion and the receiver gets down and we kick the field goal. I thought Ryan Longwell did a great job on the grass today of getting it through the sticks. Overall, it was a good crisp practice.

Q: After taking yesterday afternoon off, does that show that you're easing down on the guys now?
    A: You go on the peddle, and you go off the peddle. A lot of it is by design, and a lot of it is by feel. You have to see where those guys are at. Some of it is just straight hard work. Some of it, you just have to be able to push through. What I told those guys last night is that there's a lot of training camp to go. It's not like, "Hey it's over." You had an afternoon practice off. It's not over. If you unload them mentally and you unload them physically, it's amazing what wonders that does. The big thing for those guys is after you give them the night off, after you give them an afternoon off, are they able to come down and refocus? Get it back down to that laser beam. Because you have to be able to do that during a course of a game. You're sitting on the bench, you've got to stand up, you have to get in, you have to be able to flip that switch on. It refreshes them, but also they have to go through the drill and have a meeting with themselves about, "Boom, it's back on. I'm out here." It's as good for that purpose as it is for anything.

Q: How is (Artis) Hicks' transition going from moving from the left side to the right side?
    A: You have a different power leg. It's interesting to say that. I had a conversation with Andy Reid yesterday, and his rookie left tackle has always been on the right side. It's a transition because there's muscle memory involved with how you kick on the left side as opposed to the right. What's interesting is we took Artis from the left side and threw him out at right tackle yesterday. It looked like he'd been playing there the whole training camp. Boom, boom, boom, boom. A different speed, because he's used to it. You're re-teaching not only the mind for all the plays that go right, but also you're re-teaching those legs. It's kind of like having a dominant right hand. If you've been on the left side always and all the sudden you're asked to do something the other way, it feels different. You've got a different power base. You're used to propping on one foot as opposed to kicking that foot. So that's the kind of thing that he's going through, and it is difficult. And he's playing against a pretty good player every day in Kevin Williams.

Q: How much are you communicating with Andy Reid? What are your conversations like?
    A: My conversation with him yesterday was about the Raiders because they just played them, and we're playing them a week later. You see some things up close that you don't see on film. Those guys, interestingly enough, we talked when he was heading to the hotel. They play tomorrow and they played Sunday. So they're going to play two before we play one, which is a different dynamic. He just talked about what they look like as a team physically. I had mentioned a couple things. It's interesting to show our guys the film. It looks somewhat like some of the plays that we run. It's good for our guys to see it kind of up close and personal as well.

Q: When you were running that two-man drill, what did you think of Tarvaris Jackson?
    A: I always wait until I go back in and see the film. The one thing you haven't been able to see — you think you see — with all those quarterbacks is what they'll do when they flush. Because invariably, the pocket is going to break down, and then it's up to your innate skills. We say if the pocket breaks, be a thrower first but don't throw first. You want to be able to approach the line of scrimmage and not tuck the ball like you're a running back. Very good quarterbacks look like they're going to run with the football and always have great vision down the field about what's coming to them, drawing the defense to them and then being able to hit somebody on a 25-yard route. I'm interested to see that, and I've thought he's done a good job with it.

Q: Overall, how has this camp been for Tarvaris (Jackson)?
    A: I would say above average. I was asked the other day about the volume, and that's the thing that probably he's done the best with. A lot of times when you're thinking, it doesn't let your God-given athletic skills come out. I haven't seen that. I haven't seen him slow down in what he can do physically because he's strapped with what we're asking him to do mentally.

Q: Do you have an accurate account on where (Ryan) Longwell is at every day?
    A: Yes we do. You know what, I wish I could recall that. I get something every night on how many punts (Chris) Kluwe had, what he averaged if he had the wind at his back. We do that with all the kickers, but I can't call that percentage up right at this second.

Q: Has (Ryan Longwell) done exactly what his reputation says? That he's the most accurate kicker in the NFL history?
    A: He's very accurate, yes.

Q: Did they get (Jason) Whittle's heart rate back to normal?
    A: I just mentioned that I haven't been inside yet. I understood that he had that, and we'll find out here shortly. That's why they took him in.

Q: What does it say about your depth to have number twos practicing with number ones?
    A: You can say you have depth, and about two seconds later you're short of guys. You go into training camp and you think you've got a lot of defensive linemen and the next thing you know you're down to two strings. Depth is a good thing. It's a great to have people that are pushing because they want to be on that first line. If they've started before, they have that game experience. I think it's a win-win as far as we're concerned. You always have tough decisions at the end. My message to those guys is don't count the numbers in your line. Make us as coaches and Rick (Spielman) make tough personnel decisions. Make us make a tough decision at the end of this thing and say "Boy I don't know." Another message to that is the more you can do the better off you are. To be able to contribute in some phase of special teams or be a four-phase guy, if that sets you apart, if you are on the same line or are close with a guy that only plays one phase of special teams.

Q: Do you set a number as far as how many guys you'll have at one spot?
    A: Yeah we do. By position we go right down - how many offensive lineman, how many wide receivers, how many quarterbacks, how many tight ends. You have one number, and then you have another number that's in prentices that you could go up one or another, if you don't feel like you have an extra one of those where you could go heavy. As we start to move down that will start to tune in a little bit.

Q: There's a perception among the media and fans that if something happened to (Brad) Johnson and (Mike) McMahon that you'll be in trouble. How far off is that perception?
    A: Okay, I've got to ask you guys something. Did all you guys empower him to speak for the media? Kevin, Kevin it's a perception. We're just having a little bit of fun here. I don't know if there's that perception or not. Really we've got four preseason games to play. Yeah, I know the most about Mike McMahon because I've coached him before. But I want to watch these other guys play and some things usually end up cleaning up in terms of being able to move a football team. That's what it will always be about, being able to move a football team and get them in the end zone whoever you're playing with. You do have to be careful, I learned this with AJ Feely -- about judging a down-the-line quarterback. A second or third team quarterback playing with second and third team personnel. You can't say enough if that guy can take those snaps with all the number one wide outs, offensive line, running backs. A lot of times the picture is different. Do most people afford that guy the opportunity to do that? No. You're remiss if you judge that third quarterback behind the third offensive line with the third running back and the third receivers because in some instances, he'll be running for his life.

Q: On Tarvaris (Jackson) continuing to develop and how he can contribute...
    A: It just depends on how hard he pushes, how much he can do. I imagine there'll be one of these games where we'll sit a quarterback and let another one play so that more can play. I think that's a good way as opposed to going shares, is to put something on a guy and watch him play for an extended period of time. To give a series and make judgment off of a series or two series is probably a poor way to do it as well.

Q: Dovonte Edwards (CB) - What was your perception of him when he came into the preseason camp?
    A: As I got here I had a good conversation with him. I was able to watch a lot of tape on him. He's a tremendous gunner on special teams. A very, very good special teams player. I've seen him around the football some here. He had a little bit of a groin strain that slowed him for a couple days. He's a very good competitor. I like the guy and he's got a chance to contribute on this football team. He's just needs to keep coming.

Q: Can you asses the offensive line at this point with (Matt) Birk and (Steve) Hutchinson?
    A: Coming, they're coming. But again we're two weeks into this thing and we've got four preseason games to go. Again, you're going to see a decent front-four. You're going to see a guy like Derrick Burgess (Oakland Raiders DE) rushing off of one corner. Now you're seeing the real live posts. Not that our front four is chicken salad or what have you. They're pretty good. But in a game situation I'm interested to watch those guys compete and play together for the snaps that they have.

Q: How good do you think Mike McMahon could be if he practiced with the number one's?
    A: It's hard for me to venture a guess until you see it. I probably have an idea, but you want to see it before you surmise if you will. I'm not in the surmise business very much. I kind of like to get my hands around it and see it and feel it. We've got an idea on who he is just based on how he played last year. I'll get it redefined here in preseason as well.

Q: Will you have a moment on Monday where you stop and take in that you're a head coach in the NFL?
    A: No, I'll probably be like (Steve) Hutchinson and (Matt) Birk. I'll be just a little bit too nervous to be able to have that moment by myself. One of my college coaches told me, "Brad, just make sure you enjoy it." Now, you've got to make yourself stop to do that and stand back. Who knows, maybe when I walk out the tunnel for that split second, but then you've got to get into the business of playing the game and look at your card. I ask the players to stay focused, and I've got to do the same.

Q: So you will be nervous?
    A: There's not a game that I haven't gone out to since I've been coaching that I don't have butterflies about. And that goes for a preseason game because before, you were responsible for a player. You wanted that guy to play well and you wanted that unit to play well. I don't think I've ever gone into a game where it's kind of ho hum.

Q: Will (Mike) Tomlin be on the field on Monday?
    A: Mike (Tomlin) is down on the field. I'll go over that with you on Sunday if you're interested in that. Who will be where and obviously who's taking what reps and how long you're going to expect to see somebody.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Quotes from camp - day 14 - Brad Childress

"cogitans" wrote:
    Q: Dovonte Edwards (CB) - What was your perception of him when he came into the preseason camp?
    A: As I got here I had a good conversation with him. I was able to watch a lot of tape on him. He's a tremendous gunner on special teams. A very, very good special teams player. I've seen him around the football some here. He had a little bit of a groin strain that slowed him for a couple days. He's a very good competitor. I like the guy and he's got a chance to contribute on this football team. He's just needs to keep coming.
    Dovonte's squadstatus is surely not a lock after this coment. I still think that is one of the toughest competition out there.

When we get to the end of the month, we'll see some guys get cut in the around the depthchart that we may not expect. But I foresee that at the CB position we'll cut someone where we'll go: 'Wow, I thought he were a good football players'. Only because there is a lot of good looking kids out there.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

Slade is offline Star Spokesman

Good read...thanks

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

Artis from the left side and threw him out at right tackle yesterday.
    This worries me! I have heard reports that Marcus has not been doing as well as they hoped he would.

I would have a lot of crow to eat, I said that Marcus Johnson would make a huge jump in his 2nd year and be a beast this year. I also said I thought he would be a probowler in a few years and I hope that he does but this is making me nervous.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

Very informative...nice read. Thanks for the post. I don't like hearing about all of those injurys, but I guess that happens in camp.