Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

A Quick Thought On Big Free Agency Splashes

First off, the word ‘quick' up there? Yeah, that's a lie. So is the cake, FYI.

Earlier this offseason, what little there was of it, Viking fans expressed a mixed bag of emotions when it came to how we did in the FA mad dash. On the loss side, apart from Sidney Rice's departure, there really weren't any huge shocks: our other three biggest losses- Tavaris Jackson, Ben Leber, and Ray Edwards- were pretty much written on the wall as goners (TJack especially so). Bryant McKinnie's departure a bit later did come as a surprise, but it wasn't a FA move technically... the man was cut.

On the pickup side, our biggest move was picking up vet stop-gap QB Donovan McNabb. We also picked up LT Charlie Johnson when McKinnie was cut, and made the moves for WRs Devin Aromashodu, Michael Jenkins, and Emmanuel Arceneaux (while not a part of the normal ‘FA' period per se, he, like RB Lorenzo Booker and DE Adrian Awasom, came in a sort of quasi-FA move).

Some Viking fans were overall pleased with these results, others were disappointed (especially in the WR FA hunt), and still others were uncertain and are still withholding judgment. But let's review a little bit about FA splashes after the leap of faith. (G-d bless you brave souls who make it.)

So for Viking fans still a bit perturbed at how we ‘performed' in FA... just remember, FA itself isn't a game to be won. That's for the 16 games in regular season, and the 3-4 post season games. And a look at recent Super Bowl winners- Packers (dammit), Saints, Steelers, Giants... these aren't teams known for huge FA moves or big splashy roster make-overs during that period. (Yes, Drew Brees did enter the Saints via FA, but that's a bit of an anomaly, and also not indicative of how the Saints typically do things.) Neither are perennial contenders the Patriots or the Colts (recent Kerry Collins pickup aside- that's really only ‘dramatic' due to him being from a divisional rival and having retired, etc. etc.).

We'll see what shakes out when the season rolls around, and in particular post-Super Bowl
    A Quick Thought On Big Free Agency Splashes
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: A Quick Thought On Big Free Agency Splashes

That is what I have been saying all along.

You build your roster through the draft and you build depth by keeping your picks and not trading multiple picks to move up or to trade for a player.

The Vikings ignored this little rule and they are now living with the consequences, although they are still giving away the picks and mrtgaging their future to get a win or two now.

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

We are like the Calgary Flames of the NFL. We always think we are just one year away, one good player away from winning it all. We have a lot of the right pieces in place, but we cannot seem to get enough of the pieces working at once and are still missing something.
    We're bringing purple back.

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1106633

You build your roster through the draft and you build depth by keeping your picks and not trading multiple picks to move up or to trade for a player.

The Vikings ignored this little rule and they are now living with the consequences, although they are still giving away the picks and mrtgaging their future to get a win or two now.
    Sometimes I wonder (worry like hell) if that shift didn't come down as a mandate from the owner based on what he was hearing from the fanbase.

(Deep shudder runs through Marrdro)
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1106712

Sometimes I wonder (worry like hell) if that shift didn't come down as a mandate from the owner based on what he was hearing from the fanbase.

No, It is the result of a new owner who went all in to try and win a SB and seal the deal on a new stadium out of the gate with a coach who couldn't seal the deal and the owners inability to cut ties with said coach until it was too late.

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1106841

No, It is the result of a new owner who went all in to try and win a SB and seal the deal on a new stadium out of the gate with a coach who couldn't seal the deal and the owners inability to cut ties with said coach until it was too late.
    Or we could blame it on who it really needs to be blamed on. :whistle:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1106946

Let me guess.

Longwell and Birk.

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1106991

Let me guess.

Longwell and Birk.
    What about Smoot?

Quote Originally Posted by "ejmat" #1106993

Let me guess.

Longwell and Birk.
    What about Smoot?
    The guy who wasn't wearing his headset when the play was changed which resulted in him sending in the wrong player package.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1107007
    Quote Originally Posted by "ejmat" #1106993

Let me guess.

Longwell and Birk.
    What about Smoot?
    The guy who wasn't wearing his headset when the play was changed which resulted in him sending in the wrong player package.
    The head coach shouldn't have given that responsibility to someone who was not able to execute it.