singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Questions with Bob: Mike McMahon

From the St. Paul Pioneer Press;

Posted on Sat, May. 20, 2006

[size=18px]QUESTIONS WITH BOB[/size]

Mike McMahon got to know Vikings coach Brad Childress when both were with the Philadelphia Eagles last season. The relationship led to McMahon signing with the Vikings as their No. 2 quarterback.

BS You know Brad Childress as well as anyone with the Vikings. What's he really like?

MM He's all business on the field, but I think a lot of people don't understand the fact that he can joke around a little bit here and there. He jokes to let loose. He's a family guy. A Catholic guy. He reminds me of my father. He's strict, but as long as you're respectful to others and show class, you'll always get along with Coach. He always has been fair. He's not going to tell you one thing and go behind your back and do another. If you have the nerve to ask him where you stand, he's going to tell you exactly where you are. I really appreciate a guy like that.

BS When you were in Philly together, did you feel he was due or even overdue to be a head coach?

MM I definitely felt he was overdue. He was always the one that was head of the offensive meetings and took charge of everything. When I was on the field, I looked to him as if he was a head coach. He knows exactly what he wants and exactly how he wants things done.

BS Were you given any indication you can compete with Brad Johnson for the starting job?

MM Actually, when I signed it was, "Brad is the starter." They needed someone to back him up. He's almost 38 years old. Unless you're Brett Favre, it's hard to go 16 games without being injured. Coach needed someone he could trust and knew the offense, someone who could pick up where Brad Johnson left off.

BS Is it your goal to someday be a starter?

MM It definitely is; that's the ultimate goal. Sometimes, it comes sooner than you think. Sometimes, you wait a while. Guys like Steve Young and Rich Gannon, it took them a while to establish themselves.

BS Why do you think you haven't been viewed as a No. 1 quarterback?

MM There are a lot of things that factor into it. Sometimes, it's getting into the right system and the right fit, and being in the right place at the right time.

BS Did going 2-5 as the Eagles' starter last season hurt your stock as a potential starter, or do you think people realize the top skill position players were either hurt or suspended?

MM You don't get too many opportunities. You have to try to make the most out of every single one. I looked at it as a great opportunity to get out there and play. Yeah, we had some injuries and yeah, we had someone suspended, but it was definitely a great learning experience. We were able to put points up and almost win some more games. The result wasn't what you wanted. At the same time, I gave it my all. I proved to myself I can play in this league.

BS Enough about football. What are you doing to keep yourself busy during what's left of the offseason?

MM I have a place on the beach in Miami Beach. I like going to the beach to relax and I like jet skiing. Usually, I work out every day. A little lifting, a little running. And I play golf quite a bit. I like to stay active during the day. As long as you stay active during the day, you're too tired to go out and get in trouble at night.

BS Finish this sentence: The people of Minnesota and my new teammates would be surprised to know that I...

MM Go to church every Sunday. I'm Catholic. My father always says, "Hey, did you go to church?" Growing up all through grade school and high school, you didn't want to go but it got engrained. I went to church when I was in college, too. It's part of my schedule.

BS Two expensive watches recently were stolen from your Miami Beach condo. Have they been recovered?

MM Nothing has been recovered. One watch was a Rolex Presidential and the other was a Chopard. I love that Rolex and I wore it all the time. The only time I don't wear it is when I travel. It's a shame. A Miami Beach police detective is working on it now. The police are 99 percent sure they know who took them.

BS What do you recommend as a good, inexpensive watch for people who don't make millions a year?

MM I've got quite a few Reebok watches. When I'm working out or running errands, the thing I use the most to check the time is a cell phone. Cell phones work best sometimes.

QUESTIONS WITH BOB

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Questions with Bob: Mike McMahon

Interesting....I think MM seems like a good guy. I hope he's more successful with us than he was with Philly though if Brad goes down!

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

"Ltrey33" wrote:
    Interesting....I think MM seems like a good guy. I hope he's more successful with us than he was with Philly though if Brad goes down!
    pretty sure thats sums up what we're all thinking

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

bigdaddy72_1 is offline Starter

I think that he has more tools to work with her, if he does get in.

Our receiving core is much stronger than the Eagles' was last year, and don't forget about the 5 monsters we have on the line.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

He was always the one that was head of the offensive meetings and took charge of everything. When I was on the field, I looked to him as if he was a head coach. He knows exactly what he wants and exactly how he wants things done.
    I love this line about Childress! I still think we got a real winner in him regardless of what some others may think. I hope I'm right! :lol:
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

tampaviking is offline Rookie

i hope i don't get to see him play this year, but i felt the same way about BJ at the beginning of last season.

umaguma1979 is offline Asst. Coach

The Vikings really have an interesting QB situation; an aging, but capable starter and two up and coming projects that are at different points in their development.

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

"umaguma1979" wrote:
    The Vikings really have an interesting QB situation; an aging, but capable starter and two up and coming projects that are at different points in their development.
    I like your way of putting it; that's exactly how I see it, but you phrased it a lot more eloquently than I could manage.