singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Questions with Bob: Mike Lynn

Posted on Sat, May. 06, 2006

[size=18px]QUESTIONS WITH BOB[/size]

When he ran the Vikings from the mid-1970s until 1991, Mike Lynn was one of the NFL's most powerful executives. He led the push to have a little-known league attorney named Paul Tagliabue replace Pete Rozelle as commissioner. Lynn also was behind the building of the Metrodome as a home for the Vikings, Twins and University of Minnesota football team. And he made one of the most memorable trades in NFL history, swapping multiple draft picks to the Dallas Cowboys for running back Herschel Walker. Just a few weeks shy of his 70th birthday, Lynn lives in Holly Springs, Miss., and owns a private club in nearby Oxford.

BS I always figured you would find a way to run another NFL club, not a private club. Any similarities between the two?

ML I'm into cultural changes down here. This area did not have a private club. It had one years and years ago, and it failed. I said this area needs a private club and started one five years ago, and it's extremely successful. It's four floors with 20,000 square feet. We have a restaurant, a fitness center and a spa. It's similar to the Minneapolis Club. It's right in the center of town. I'm also building a tourist attraction in Holly Springs with restored cottages and botanical gardens.

BS Any regrets you left the Vikings back in 1991?

ML I said to my wife that the real regret I have is I didn't realize once I left most of the people who worked for me would be gone within a year. I really disrupted a lot of people's lives. I didn't realize that would occur.

BS You've been away from football more than a decade and a half. What do you miss most about it?

ML I miss having access to a private jet. And that's it.

BS What did you think of the Vikings' draft?

ML I watched the first round. After that, I didn't follow it.

BS The Twins, Vikings and Gophers all are trying to get new stadiums. When the Metrodome was built, how long did you think it would last as a home for those teams?

ML I felt the Vikings would remain there for the term of their lease. Thinking back, I never was for the Metrodome in the first place. I did it because that's what (then-owner) Max Winter wanted — a downtown domed stadium. I always thought an open-air stadium was best for the team. It was a competitive edge. I remember the old Rams stepping out on the field at Metropolitan Stadium. They wanted to get back on the plane and get back to L.A. The fans were used to being outside. And I think outside you also could have increased revenue by doubling the amount of suites constructed; instead of 120, you could have built 250 or 300 suites. They would have been gobbled up by corporations.

BS Any advice for Zygi Wilf?

ML The only advice I can give is surround yourself with good people and eventually good things will happen.

BS Any advice that would help Zygi get a new stadium?

ML He should take a trip to L.A., like I did when we had a tough time getting the Metrodome built. I went to L.A. and I went to Memphis and I went to Phoenix. By the time I got back in Minnesota, I had to hire 24-hour guards around my house. The stadium was not an easy task.

BS You turn 70 on May 18. Marv Levy is 80 and came out of retirement to run the Buffalo Bills. Any interest in being the Vikings' vice president of player personnel, or maybe its general manager again?

ML No. No.

BS I've got to ask. If you could do it over again, would you make the Herschel Walker trade?

ML (Laughs) I don't know. It was a whole combination of things. Someday, I'll tell you that story.

QUESTIONS WITH BOB

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

MightyVikes12391 is offline Pro-Bowler

Re: Questions with Bob: Mike Lynn

he cursed us

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Wow, had to have guards to watch over him.. Maybe Wilf shouldn't take a trip to LA.. Then again, if that will make sure he gets a deal in Minnesota, then I say go where ever you need to and let these people know you are serious about a new stadium.. It may open their eyes, and they will realize that the state of Minnesota is very close to losing both of their pro sports teams..

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    BS I've got to ask. If you could do it over again, would you make the Herschel Walker trade?

ML (Laughs) I don't know. It was a whole combination of things. Someday, I'll tell you that story.
    SCREW YOU, MIKE LYNN!

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

He gave the cowboys 3 superbowls...dummy.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Wonder what kind of "Thank You Bonus" he got from Jerry Jones...enough to easily build that private club of his???
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

jdvike is offline Hall of Famer

Jerry and Jimmie called that trade...The Great Train Robbery....A sad day in Vikings history.
    I agree.....EAT IT Mike Lynn.