Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    PurplePackerEater is offline Ring of Fame

Re: A question for those who know about Vikings Payroll

"soonerbornNbred" wrote:
    I am a new Vikings fan
    I was looking at Salaries for the NFL my info was coming form the web foxsports it says The Minnesota Vikings Have the 3rd highest salary of all 32 teams The patriots being #1
    is this accurate?
    It also showed that TJ was paid lower than BB and KH, Holcomb being the highest paid of the Three...Is this accurate ?
    Who are the top 5 or six paid players on the Vikings?
    It seems that the owners are paying to put out a good product, am I reading to much into this
    Here's the deal.

The Vikings offer LOTS of unreachable bonus' in their contracts that must be included in that particular year's Salary Cap. They end up getting that back, credited to the next year, I believe.

Anyways, by the time everything is said and done in a particular season, we end up paying MUCH less. Once or twice, under Red McCombs, we paid out LESS than the Salary Cap MINIMUM.

The Vikings have found a loop hole and have been exploiting it for years.

Some here will say that's genius, it is, from a business standpoint, but from a fan's standpoint, I feel like they're cheating us.

"vikingivan" wrote:
    "soonerbornNbred" wrote:
    I am a new Vikings fan
    I was looking at Salaries for the NFL my info was coming form the web foxsports it says The Minnesota Vikings Have the 3rd highest salary of all 32 teams The patriots being #1
    is this accurate?
    It also showed that TJ was paid lower than BB and KH, Holcomb being the highest paid of the Three...Is this accurate ?
    It seems that the owners are paying to put out a good product, am I reading to much into this
    If they are saying that we have the 3rd highest team salary that has to be wrong.
    We are 28 million dollars under the salary cap.

http://www.askthecommish.com/salarycap/numbers.asp
    Keep in mind that these numbers remain tentative -- and are changing on a daily basis. These "unofficial" figures are approximate as of March 2 , 2007.
    Those figures were BEFORE Free Agency and the Draft.

soonerbornNbred is offline Pro-Bowler

So is if all incentives are met its the leagues 3rd highest, but if their not then its average...is that the reality

"soonerbornNbred" wrote:
    So is if all incentives are met its the leagues 3rd highest, but if their not then its average...is that the reality

I haven't studied this years numbers, but judging from the past, I would say that is fairly accurate.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"PurplePackerEater" wrote:
    "soonerbornNbred" wrote:
    I am a new Vikings fan
    is this accurate?
    Here's the deal.

The Vikings offer LOTS of unreachable bonus' in their contracts that must be included in that particular year's Salary Cap. They end up getting that back, credited to the next year, I believe.

Anyways, by the time everything is said and done in a particular season, we end up paying MUCH less. Once or twice, under Red McCombs, we paid out LESS than the Salary Cap MINIMUM.

Some here will say that's genius, it is, from a business standpoint, but from a fan's standpoint, I feel like they're cheating us.
    True that...unless they were to roll that back in to get more for their money!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"cajunvike" wrote:
    "soonerbornNbred" wrote:
    I am a new Vikings fan
    is this accurate?
    Here's the deal.

It seems like they should be able to use today's cap space to free up extra space for the future. If they could use the 28million in cap space to, for instance, pay Adrian Peterson's entire contract in advance then we would have extra room in the future. Unfortunetly it is not that simple because nothing involving that much money ever is.

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "soonerbornNbred" wrote:
    I am a new Vikings fan
    is this accurate?
    Here's the deal.

It seems like they should be able to use today's cap space to free up extra space for the future. If they could use the 28million in cap space to, for instance, pay Adrian Peterson's entire contract in advance then we would have extra room in the future. Unfortunetly it is not that simple because nothing involving that much money ever is.
    They did to something to that effect when we signed Winfield.

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "soonerbornNbred" wrote:
    I am a new Vikings fan
    is this accurate?
    Here's the deal.

Isn't that basically the same as "front loading" the contract?
    Pay him 15 million the first year, than league minimum after that?

"BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "soonerbornNbred" wrote:
    I am a new Vikings fan
    is this accurate?
    Here's the deal.

Isn't that basically the same as "front loading" the contract?
    Pay him 15 million the first year, than league minimum after that?
    I would say so. I THINK they call it a "roster" bonus, as opposed to a "signing" bonus. I believe a "roster" bonus is payed in one lump sum, while a "signing" bonus is payed out over the length of the contract -but is guarranteed even if released before the contract expires.

I'm not 100% sure about all that, but I believe it's very close.

I would say so. I THINK they call it a "roster" bonus, as opposed to a "signing" bonus. I believe a "roster" bonus is payed in one lump sum, while a "signing" bonus is payed out over the length of the contract -but is guarranteed even if released before the contract expires.

I'm not 100% sure about all that, but I believe it's very close.
    Actually, both get paid in one lump sum.
    For the player, they're basically the same - they get a big check up front.
    There is a small difference in what a team can recover from the player if they don't show up, and you can look at the recent Vick decision for more on that.

The big difference (and what you were thinking of) is in how the team writes it down for cap purposes.
    The signing bonus is spread out over a number of years for cap purposes, while the roster bonus counts entirely against that years cap.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast