Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

Re: Question about Smoot

"RandyMoss8404" wrote:
    "muchluv4smoot" wrote:
    "vikesfan" wrote:
    Do you think the Vikes will use him as a real #2 CB. Because last year, even with Winfield, it seemed like we didn't always line him up on the opponents best receiver. For example, when we played Houston I remember Shaw covering Johnson the whole game. But maybe that's because of the height difference, I'm not sure.

I don't think we will have a #1 and #2 CB on this team. I think we will line up one guy on the left and one on the right, so that they can get used to mainly playing one side of the field. Either guy can be a #1 CB though. Smoot has better coverage skills than winfield, but is also more of a gambler and gets beat from time to time. He will give up some big plays, and make some big plays. Winfield nerver gave up any big plays, except for the so-called TD catch by TO. Smoot will give us more big plays than winfield, good and bad.

Despite everyone saying he is a bad tackler, I have seen him play a ton, in college and the NFL, and he isn't a bad tackler. Compared to winfield, you could say he is bad, but compared to the average starting CB, he would probably rank near the middle of the pack in tackling. He will make some big hits and miss some important tackles too.

So basically, what we got in smoot, is a guy that will give us big plays and give the opponent big plays too. But really, he isn't gonna give up near the ammount of big plays, that brian williams did last year, and will make more big plays for us too.
    Let me tactfully disagree with you hear - I don't think Smoot has better cover skills than Winfield. Smoot takes far more risks, and note that Winfield only gave up one - yes, that's 1.0 - touchdowns last year, and that touchdown wasn't even a catch (against TO on monday night)

Smoot is much more of a gambler. I've seen Smoot on a good number of play action fakes - he just has the speed to recover.

Just because winfield gave up only 1 TD, doesn't mean he is a better coverage CB than smoot. Champ bailey is the best cover CB in the league and he gives up plenty of TD's. Smoot is a better coverage CB than winfield, but is also much much more agressive at going after the ball. Just because he makes mistakes and gets beat, doesn't mean he isn't good at coverage. Winfield is more conservative and that is why he didn't give up many TD's or big plays.

Smoot is one of the best coverage CB's in the league and this is exactly why he was an alternate to the pro bowl last year.

Not saying winfield isn't really good at coverage, but that is smoot's fortay.

Burley81 is offline Asst. Coach

I love Smoot's tackling skills, did anyone say that vid. someone posted of him? Pretty risky, but he is a great open field tackler.

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

"givemossthetoss" wrote:
    I love Smoot's tackling skills, did anyone say that vid. someone posted of him? Pretty risky, but he is a great open field tackler.

He makes some big hits and also misses tackles because he goes for the big hits. He is nowhere near the tackling Cb that winfield is. The guy always goes down when winfield is there.

Smoot is a cover CB, that is why he was an alternate to the pro bowl last year.

Washington's Defense was highly ranked. Their offense stunk and they were able to beat better teams because of it. Smoot was part of a good unit. They make each other look good. I think he'll good alright. Our division has good receivers so this was a good move by Vikings. Don't have these doubts until you see him in action.

vikes09 is offline Hall of Famer

i think smoot will have a good year considering our defense will be so much better and our front 4 will be alot better. our front 7 is so much better i think that our corners will be like the eagles, all in the probowl!!!

KY Vike is offline Starter

smoot is known for his coverage skills, not his tackling. he is ranked high among coverage cb's.
    2 Most Favorite Things:
    1) Minnesota Vikings
    2) Kentucky Basketball. Yeah Baby!

Del Rio Guest

Yeah, and if we play like we did last year he will be required to tackle more then cover and hence will become an over paid Williams.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

The one thing I found out about corners switching teams is this. Champ Bailey moved to a team were there was less respect by the opponents an these opponents decided to challenge him. He didn't look as good this past year as he did in Washington. Is it easier to be a CB in DC or what? Or did he have more respect in DC and people just gave up throwing at him?

vikesfan is offline Starter

What I don't get is that if QB's stopped throwing at Champ Bailey that means that they were throwing at Smoot a lot. If that's the case, why were his tacking numbers so low. Some of that might have to do with his coverage skills, but still, if that many balls are being thrown his way, I would imagine he should have had way more tackles. Winfield didn't get too many balls thrown at him last year as QB's challenged B. Will and Shaw whenever they could and look how many tackles he had.

vikesfan is offline Starter

That post wasn't meant to sound negative towards Smoot. I am really happy that we signed him because everybody said he was one of the top CB's. But personally I have never watched him play so I don't know anything about him.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123