Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    favre4ever Guest

Re: Question about Smoot

I think he will definetly be an improvement for you guys but I dont think he will be as good as some are saying. I think winfield is still the best you guys got and a top five in the NFL.

vikes09 is offline Hall of Famer

i never said he was a good tackler, but more of a throw his body in there, and hes not scared.

Del Rio Guest

Not sure what is worse being a poor tackler or "throwing" your body around.

Yeah I agree with the Eagles fan. I think he was a goo dpickup because we improved on many levels. But if we had signed him alone and ended our moves I would not have been impressed.

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

"vikesfan" wrote:
    Do you think the Vikes will use him as a real #2 CB. Because last year, even with Winfield, it seemed like we didn't always line him up on the opponents best receiver. For example, when we played Houston I remember Shaw covering Johnson the whole game. But maybe that's because of the height difference, I'm not sure.

I don't think we will have a #1 and #2 CB on this team. I think we will line up one guy on the left and one on the right, so that they can get used to mainly playing one side of the field. Either guy can be a #1 CB though. Smoot has better coverage skills than winfield, but is also more of a gambler and gets beat from time to time. He will give up some big plays, and make some big plays. Winfield nerver gave up any big plays, except for the so-called TD catch by TO. Smoot will give us more big plays than winfield, good and bad.

Despite everyone saying he is a bad tackler, I have seen him play a ton, in college and the NFL, and he isn't a bad tackler. Compared to winfield, you could say he is bad, but compared to the average starting CB, he would probably rank near the middle of the pack in tackling. He will make some big hits and miss some important tackles too.

So basically, what we got in smoot, is a guy that will give us big plays and give the opponent big plays too. But really, he isn't gonna give up near the ammount of big plays, that brian williams did last year, and will make more big plays for us too.

Del Rio Guest

Time will tell.

He makes a few mistakes the bandwagon will begin to get lighter.

I like the move but I'm not convinced he is as good as people are saying. If he is I will be very happy and will be thr first one to own up to my narrow mindedness.

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

i agree sel rio. Only time will tell.

RandyMoss8404 is offline Hall of Famer

"muchluv4smoot" wrote:
    "vikesfan" wrote:
    Do you think the Vikes will use him as a real #2 CB. Because last year, even with Winfield, it seemed like we didn't always line him up on the opponents best receiver. For example, when we played Houston I remember Shaw covering Johnson the whole game. But maybe that's because of the height difference, I'm not sure.

I don't think we will have a #1 and #2 CB on this team. I think we will line up one guy on the left and one on the right, so that they can get used to mainly playing one side of the field. Either guy can be a #1 CB though. Smoot has better coverage skills than winfield, but is also more of a gambler and gets beat from time to time. He will give up some big plays, and make some big plays. Winfield nerver gave up any big plays, except for the so-called TD catch by TO. Smoot will give us more big plays than winfield, good and bad.

Despite everyone saying he is a bad tackler, I have seen him play a ton, in college and the NFL, and he isn't a bad tackler. Compared to winfield, you could say he is bad, but compared to the average starting CB, he would probably rank near the middle of the pack in tackling. He will make some big hits and miss some important tackles too.

So basically, what we got in smoot, is a guy that will give us big plays and give the opponent big plays too. But really, he isn't gonna give up near the ammount of big plays, that brian williams did last year, and will make more big plays for us too.
    Let me tactfully disagree with you hear - I don't think Smoot has better cover skills than Winfield. Smoot takes far more risks, and note that Winfield only gave up one - yes, that's 1.0 - touchdowns last year, and that touchdown wasn't even a catch (against TO on monday night)

Smoot is much more of a gambler. I've seen Smoot on a good number of play action fakes - he just has the speed to recover.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWgAayphx7Y
    "He s done it! Portugal is through!"

"muchluv4smoot" wrote:
    "vikesfan" wrote:

exactly, so called TD catch by TO! We got robbed on that one!
    "We are Lions!!" - Achilles (from the movie Troy )

vikes09 is offline Hall of Famer

yeah so, they wouldve been on the 1, and the way our defense was going, i think it wouldve taken alot to stop them.

PurpleElf Guest

What I see in Smoot is a lockdown CB, who occasionally baits QB's into thinking his man is open but has the speed to make a play on the pass. His tackling skills are good enough. And most of the passes hes gonna see this year are wobbling hurried throws that are easily picked off or batted down. And our LB's are gonna be flying all over the place making all the tackles instead of recent years when our DB's had to do all the tackling.

In my opinion the Vikes have one of the top two CB tandems in the league.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast