Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    RandyMoss8404 is offline Hall of Famer

A question about caustic exclusion and zealotry...

I've been posting here for a while now, and I've certainly enjoyed my time here. We've laughed at cheeseheads, we've argued, we've deliberated and predicted with freedom and inclusion.

So I guess that's why I'm wondering when this changed to replies like this (and yes, if I'm mentioning your name, I am calling you out):

"cajunvike" wrote:
    If that's the way that you feel about Pep, then you might wanna find yourself another team to root for...because Pep is gonna be here for awhile...this is his team now, not Moss's...so get with the program!

Or get lost!
    That's just one particular example, although I'd say the poster in question is certainly a repeat offender. Since when are we telling people to 'get lost' because they disagree with our tired, rehashed opinion?

Since when can we not differ? Because I can say from personal experience that I've made many controversial statements here. It seems to me if we do not follow the path of zealotry, the blind 'Vikings-can-do-no-wrong-everything-happens-for-the-best" mentality here, all of a sudden it's considered to be grounds for attack. It's as if this site has become one of party politics - those who dare to question the Randy Moss trade, and the Viking zealots who believe that we can do no wrong. Anyone who questions any motivations that are not being POPULARLY questioned at the time is dealt a dose of Del Rio's childish sarcasm about "Moss lovers" being homosexual, cajunvike's immaturity or maybe, if they're really persistent, a nice STFU from ultra ( :sunny: ). Just a tip: ending your post with fifty thousand exclamation points !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! probably means it was a nice exercise in robotic drivel. You're not any more intelligent, or enlightened, or knowledgeable than any of us - none of us are better than others, so why do we pretend? And why are senior members not acting as WELCOMING EXAMPLES to the newer purple priders? Is that not our mandate?

I'm not making this post to offend or to be a hypocrite and exclude in my own right, but this board has in my opinion taken a sharp turn. We've gone from free speech and free questioning and a mutual love of the Vikings in spite of themselves to this sort of facist mentality that forces a love of popular ideals. Perhaps I'm wrong, but this doesn't seem to be what purple pride represents.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWgAayphx7Y
    "He s done it! Portugal is through!"

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Re: A question about caustic exclusion and zealotry...

"RandyMoss8404" wrote:
    I've been posting here for a while now, and I've certainly enjoyed my time here. We've laughed at cheeseheads, we've argued, we've deliberated and predicted with freedom and inclusion.

So I guess that's why I'm wondering when this changed to replies like this (and yes, if I'm mentioning your name, I am calling you out):

"cajunvike" wrote:
    If that's the way that you feel about Pep, then you might wanna find yourself another team to root for...because Pep is gonna be here for awhile...this is his team now, not Moss's...so get with the program!

Or get lost!
    That's just one particular example, although I'd say the poster in question is certainly a repeat offender. Since when are we telling people to 'get lost' because they disagree with our tired, rehashed opinion?

Since when can we not differ? Because I can say from personal experience that I've made many controversial statements here. It seems to me if we do not follow the path of zealotry, the blind 'Vikings-can-do-no-wrong-everything-happens-for-the-best" mentality here, all of a sudden it's considered to be grounds for attack. It's as if this site has become one of party politics - those who dare to question the Randy Moss trade, and the Viking zealots who believe that we can do no wrong. Anyone who questions any motivations that are not being POPULARLY questioned at the time is dealt a dose of Del Rio's childish sarcasm about "Moss lovers" being homosexual, cajunvike's immaturity or maybe, if they're really persistent, a nice STFU from ultra ( :sunny: ). Just a tip: ending your post with fifty thousand exclamation points !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! probably means it was a nice exercise in robotic drivel. You're not any more intelligent, or enlightened, or knowledgeable than any of us - none of us are better than others, so why do we pretend? And why are senior members not acting as WELCOMING EXAMPLES to the newer purple priders? Is that not our mandate?

I'm not making this post to offend or to be a hypocrite and exclude in my own right, but this board has in my opinion taken a sharp turn. We've gone from free speech and free questioning and a mutual love of the Vikings in spite of themselves to this sort of facist mentality that forces a love of popular ideals. Perhaps I'm wrong, but this doesn't seem to be what purple pride represents.
    OK, I will bite...

First off, I am not a blind zealot...I have challenged many personnel moves and non-moves by the Vikings Front Office...the difference is that in this particular case, having to hear the doomsayers already write off the season because Moss is no longer with the Vikings without giving the new personnel a chance to fully show what they can do is a similar form of zealotry. Because I object to this rush to judgment about how the Vikings will perform next year, I am branded as a fascist. You say that you are not making this post to be a hypocrite, but that is exactly what you are. What you fail to realize in your zest to crucify those "senior" members of the board is that none of those that you accuse of this type of behavior really wanted Moss to be traded...BUT over time they have come to accept that the trade was a culmination of the process of evolution that this team had to go through to take their overall level of play to the next level. We ALL as Vikings fans want OUR team to win a championship (or at least I hope so)...but sometimes, in football as in life, we have to give up one thing to get something better. That is what happened here...a change of philosophy by the Vikings management necessitated that a major change be made in regards to the personnel that will take the field next season. Regardless of what you or others think, I have always defended Moss's actions from the time that we drafted him until this very day...but I do realize that as talented as he is (the best WR in the game by far), the Vikings could get no better unless we shifted our focus to more of a total team concept and less of a team that orbited around a superstar. You may call that "tired, rehashed opinion", but it sure has seemed to work for the Patriots in the last few years.

As far as the particular quote that you used as an example of my offensiveness, you take it out of context by not also posting what I was responding to...which was the fact that the previous poster had referred to Culpepper as Culpunker...an attack on a CURRENT Viking which was uncalled for...which deserved the response that I gave it.

In regards to your observation of my level of maturity, I stand guilty as charged. In fact, any true sports fan is similarly afflicted...in all honesty, a bunch of grown men and women who spend so much time obsessing about the behavior of team of grown men and women PLAYING a game which has very little consequence on the state of affairs in our world today MUST by definition possess an inordinate lack of maturity in order to sustain their level of enthusiasm and faith that our support (other than monetarily) has any real effect on the outcome of those aforementioned games. Show me a mature sports fan and I will show you someone who is not really a sports fan, but only a disinterested and casual observer. Fan is short for fanatic...and most, if not all, fanatics possess a childlike singlemindedness as regards their object of obsession...in our case, the American pro football team, the Minnesota Vikings. Please forgive most of us who no longer really care about a player who is no longer a member of our chosen team...it doesn't mean that we hate him or that we don't appreciate the great memories that he gave us...but it does mean that we have chosen to move forward, which requires us to no longer dote on that former player.

Know this, I don't usually start arguments with posters on the board, unless provoked to do so...and yes, I do hope that we are all on the same page. I relish the debates that are a huge part of message board activity (and are usually what makes the boards so compelling), but I do apologize to everyone here if any of my ranting and raving has given the impression that I am trying to exclude anyone from posting their differing opinion. I am not the boss here, so what I say only carries as much weight as others allow it to...but I will argue a point to death if I think that it is central to the conclusion that I believe in. I have enjoyed my time here as well AND have truly appreciated the freedom that the webmaster has given us to express our thoughts and ideas. Even when the Political Forum got really heated, Webby allowed us to hash out our differences rather than always stepping in and locking the threads...and I can guarantee you that those discussions were both more vitriolic and volatile than anything that has been said in this latest flareup. Needless to say, the subject matter in that forum was both of much more consequence and of greater overall importance to the future of this country than what we are debating here...but no less passionate a subject.

The bottom line is this: We can differ in opinion all we want here, but the fact remains that what is done is done in regards to the personnel moves that the Vikings made this offseason...and until we see what the fruits of those moves are, it does us very little good to be NEGATIVE about what the upcoming season will be like. This is a time for unbridled optimism, because once the season starts, we will have plenty of time for moaning and groaning if things start to unravel. Until then, I will strenuously object to any abundance of doom and gloom predictions regarding the Vikings prospects for next season...it is just not healthy for both the fans and the team itself. If you start off thinking that the Vikings are going to falter, then you set them up for impending failure before they even start. Have a little more faith that we can succeed without Moss on our team next year...that is all that I was asking in the thread that precipitated this subsequent thread.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Turboe is offline Hall of Famer

I dont have the time or energy to post a reply like that. But I will add this from another perspective. I am still fairly new on here coming on board around draft day. I had been hanging out alot on About.com pre-draft studying before I stumbled across this site.

What I found was a refreshing group of Vikings fans whith whom to interact, and a great source of what is happening with the pulse of the Vikes since I am trapped out here in a media black-hole when it comes to MN news. The vortex caused by Atlanta and Carolina on either side of me suck the oxygen out of the small ammount of professional sports news that manages to overcome the constant year-round coverage of college football.

So I was quite happy to find this site. However in the last couple weeks only I am starting to see this recurring theme on here. "Williamson has warts", James is a closet quiche eater", "Sharper still friends with KGB (possible sabbotage is suspected)" "Fox reportedly brough his toys to Mini-camp". All with the supposed overtones that our draft/offseason has been a complete failure and we should all just run out and impale ourselves on the nearest shrine to the Detroit Lions (after all they have Mike Williams now and there arent 11 guys in the whole NFL who can beat him by himself).

It is getting a little repetative, and alot annoying, and defeatist. So while I will probably never flame someone who types that kind of stuff instead I just find myself going elsewhere because this stuff is not enjoyable.

If you have read my posts you know I wish we would have picked Mike Williams at the time. I was kind of bummed out (for about 1 day), and then like any real fans I turned my thoughts to what is and what is to come. Not what could have been (that kind of thinking is for loosers, and I am not just talking about this site. Do you still sit around and say "Gosh what if I had asked Sally McGee to the prom instead of Tina Brown? Think of how my life could have been today." I got news for you if you do, you are a looser. I mean just think if we could have kept Bud Grant coaching all these years instead of the parade of other jokers we have had, how many Superbowls we might have won by now.

As I have said numerous times, Moss is gone, deal with it. I love him as an athelete and I am looking forward to watching him catch TD's although there will be a lot of tears in my eyes when they happen. But he is gone, get over it.

And give the Rookies a break until they have a season or so under their belts. By the way Williamson hasnt dropped a single pass yet that has been thrown to him in a game when it really counts. Lets see what happens.

Different people handle this frustration with negative post differently. Some lash out, while others just tune out. That doesnt make anyone a Zealot. Maybe we should just have a thread entitled 1000 ways to say that Randy is God and the Vikes will never again win a game", and only people who want to voice that opinion need go in there, and those in there dont have to poision the rest of the threads with the same topic adnauseam. And once they reach 1000 they are done.

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

I do see a tiny bit of negativity, but I see more humor than anything in Cajunvike or Ultra or any of the other guys' referenced posts. I think good natured humor may be taken out of context in this situation, and taken as immature slander. So maybe from a different perspective things aren't as bad as they seem.

With that said, I don't see how a post like that can improve the atmosphere of the site. Specifically calling people out and calling them immature or zealots or childish WILL NOT help remedy the problems you see. In my opinion, if you see a problem with the way things are going, you should write a nice lengthy e-mail to the webmaster or one of the mods voicing your opinions and possible ways to fix the problems. Calling people out won't help, and will probably hurt the situation, IMO.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"RandyMoss8404" wrote:
    ..if they're really persistent, a nice STFU from ultra ( :sunny: ). Just a tip: ending your post with fifty thousand exclamation points !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! probably means it was a nice exercise in robotic drivel. You're not any more intelligent, or enlightened, or knowledgeable than any of us - none of us are better than others, so why do we pretend? And why are senior members not acting as WELCOMING EXAMPLES to the newer purple priders? Is that not our mandate?

I do not think I have ever used the term STFU against anybody who has wanted to state their opinion in an intelligent manner. I have used it against trolls and the occasional Packer guy who pops in once a quarter to say something idiotic. In the past few weeks I have placed reminders in threads about how they are getting off-topic and more towards the Moss issues.

Senior member? You are more senior that I or Cajun. Jusr because we have more posts does not make us senior, intelligent, or all-knowing. It just means that we are consistantly on the site every, single day (and we enjoy posting our thoughts).

My beef, as well as others here, is with threads turning into a Moss debate when the thread was not even about Moss himself. Then, the personal attacks have started to fly. The entire continuity of the thread is lost; and maybe a member had a good thread going, only to see it veer off into a Moss thread. It falls into the catagory of being respectful to other members. I have received many complaints from members about this and how it is turning them off to PP.O.

I fully endorse the sharing of ideas here. WE Vikings fans are some of the most intelligent fans around. We pride ourselves in being thick-skinned, unmoving, and intelligent. Lets start being a little more respectful.

"RandyMoss8404" wrote:
    ...this board has in my opinion taken a sharp turn. We've gone from free speech and free questioning and a mutual love of the Vikings in spite of themselves to this sort of facist mentality that forces a love of popular ideals. Perhaps I'm wrong, but this doesn't seem to be what purple pride represents.
    Are you kidding? What you're critisizing is free speech. You're not being banned for your ideas. You're not being told what to say. When Cajun and his purple clad storm-troopers break down your front door, confiscate your computer and lock you up in federal prison in an attempt to silence your public Randy Moss fascination then lets talk about Fascism. Until then, I'm so sick of people throwing that word around as some kind of threat.

Purple pride represents a pride in the Minnesota Vikings organization. Not pride in one specific player. But instead, pride in any player wearing the Minnesota Viking uniform.
    Even babies know the difference.

2beersTommy is offline Team Alumni

"I dont have the time or energy to post a reply like that"..can I relate to that !..Im friggen lucky I had time and energy to read all the replies to the opening thread. To use another quote.."Cant we all just get along"~Rodney King~ Im sure replies send to posts are not intented to lash-out, call-out, burn ..whatever somebody, but what we all have to keep in mind is that all of us in here DONT think & express ourselves in the same matter. Writing a abusive post back doesnt help matters (not saying that either of the 2 involved were), but i have seen others like that! Everybody here is entitled to their own opinion, but remember that they might perceive comments made in a totally different light than what was intented.I think what Im trying to say is..dont get abusive towards each other, ask questions, keep communicating, we'll all get along just great, not only in here, but in life ! WTF, how long did it take you guys to type that $hit out ? lmfao

freaky is offline Starter

I can definitely see where 'RandyMoss8404' is coming from here; nothing better than a friendly disagreement & debate, but derogatory & personal slurs are very less than cool. there's many ways to show disapproval without having to nail someone to the cross. at the end of the day, we're all here as part of a family; all on the same side & all passionate enough to be here in the first place.

GO VIKES!

Turboe is offline Hall of Famer

"2beersTommy" wrote:
    "I dont have the time or energy to post a reply like that
    Its funny I put that at the start of my reply, but then as I get started writing about something and passion gets my juices flowing. I noticed that I actually ended up typing a fairly lenghty reply anyway. My daughter that was waiting to get on the computer, gave up and went upstairs as I was taking so long.

Oh well.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"Turboe" wrote:
    "2beersTommy" wrote:
    "I dont have the time or energy to post a reply like that
    Its funny I put that at the start of my reply, but then as I get started writing about something and passion gets my juices flowing. I noticed that I actually ended up typing a fairly lenghty reply anyway. My daughter that was waiting to get on the computer, gave up and went upstairs as I was taking so long.

Oh well.
    I was gonna say something about that, but you beat me to it. :lol:

Your daughter was up at 8:00AM to use the computer??? Back in my younger days, we slept in until noon on Saturday!!! :lol:
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast