Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23313233
    grpape is offline Asst. Coach

Re: Quarterback Quandry (Possible Solution)

I'm not sure about Anderson. The whole Scott Mitchell thing really scares me. I'd like to see one more season out of him. If he still shows the promise, then go for it. It doesn't really matter what off season we try to persue him (either one will have many suitors calling). I just don't see how many of you can think that quality back ups will be let go by their teams. QB is so darnit bad in this leauge that a team has to keep two competent QBs at all times (even if that means paying them).

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

"grpape" wrote:
    I'm not sure about Anderson. The whole Scott Mitchell thing really scares me. I'd like to see one more season out of him. If he still shows the promise, then go for it. It doesn't really matter what off season we try to persue him (either one will have many suitors calling). I just don't see how many of you can think that quality back ups will be let go by their teams. QB is so darnit bad in this leauge that a team has to keep two competent QBs at all times (even if that means paying them).
    I agree.
    With the current state of affairs at this position in the league and in MN, I think you have to spend some money and make sure you have 2 guys that you feel can be effective.
    That means being somewhat aggressive as there are a lot of other teams in similar positions.
    Question is how bad do you want to win and how much emphasis do you put on this position. I don't think anybody in the Vikings org feels confident that TJ will lead us to the promised land, they may be willing to let it play out some more, but you need a solid backup plan.
    If I'm Childress, I would be campaigning hard to get a the best QB in camp that you can get.
    If he doesn't show continuous improvement, his ass is on the line.
    TJ won't be an excuse for him to get another year if he doesn't perform.

As hard as it is for the Vikings to attract high quality receivers, it should be somewhat easier to lure a guy that wants to compete for a starting QB position and have a chance at being effective.
    The WR position is still an issue, but the league's best running game takes a lot of pressure off the QB and gives them a decent shot at making a name for themselves.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"grpape" wrote:
    It has been that way for a while. Hell, when Denny Green rode into town he always made sure he had at least 2 QB's on the team who could get the job done. One thing I wish Childress would think about.

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "grpape" wrote:
    It has been that way for a while. Hell, when Denny Green rode into town he always made sure he had at least 2 QB's on the team who could get the job done. One thing I wish Childress would think about.
    Exactly. So with this thinking (which I'm pretty sure the other 31 teams agree with), there really won't be much out there to really choose from. It's definatly gonna be going through the apples that are on the ground opposed to pick some nice ones off the tree. :-

aaeyers is offline Pro-Bowler

"grpape" wrote:
    Anderson won't be available anyway, or so says the Brown's GM

"Savage also said that Derek Anderson is the starting quarterback heading into next season. Savage said Anderson has earned the chance to be the Browns starting quarterback again in 2008, following his breakout 2007 season, in which he was named a Pro Bowl alternate.

He said the Browns feel Anderson should have "a chance to go into the batter's box and swing for the fences next years. Our expectation is that he'll hit some home runs for us.'

Savage said, in effect, that this means both Anderson and Brady Quinn are off the market for 2008. Crennel had said earlier that Anderson was the starter as of now, but that the team would listen to offers."

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2008/01/cleveland_browns_set_to_begin.html

"aaeyers" wrote:
    "grpape" wrote:
    Anderson won't be available anyway, or so says the Brown's GM

"Savage also said that Derek Anderson is the starting quarterback heading into next season. Savage said Anderson has earned the chance to be the Browns starting quarterback again in 2008, following his breakout 2007 season, in which he was named a Pro Bowl alternate.

He said the Browns feel Anderson should have "a chance to go into the batter's box and swing for the fences next years. Our expectation is that he'll hit some home runs for us.'

Savage said, in effect, that this means both Anderson and Brady Quinn are off the market for 2008. Crennel had said earlier that Anderson was the starter as of now, but that the team would listen to offers."

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2008/01/cleveland_browns_set_to_begin.html
    I'm pretty sure if you threw enough of an incentive (draft picks, high ones) they would change their minds. This may be the best news for the Vikings. Let's see if he can not only sustain his play, but actually do better next year. If this happens the Browns will really have to think hard about their QB situation. If TJ doesn't look to be the franchise QB, then we can give them a call.

Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23313233