Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    davike is offline Team Alumni

Re: Quarterback Not Only Offseason Concern

Minnesota again led the NFL against the run, giving up an average of 74.1 yards per game, but was last versus the pass. The defense surrendered 264.1 yards per game through the air. In 2006, the Vikings gave up an average of 238.6 passing yards to tie Cincinnati for worst in the league.

The key there is not how many yards we gave up in a game. We are 16th in YPA, which still isn't good, but if a team gets passed on that much your going to give up some bigger pass plays eventually. We had 646 pass attempts on us. That is like some where around 50 more then the next team. Besides how many times were we ahead by a bunch and our guys were playing deep, anyone and any team could pass on us then. We had guys getting almost a couple hundred yards on us in the second half of a game where we were up by a bunch. Of course we were going to give up a bunch of yards, But you have to look at points per a game. We are rated 12th in that area. Thats not so bad.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying there is not room for improvement, we certainly need to improve our pass D, but just look at some of the other stats besides yards given up and we aren't quite as bad as people make us out to be.

Thanks Josdin00 for the sig!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"nikoli" wrote:
    Wow, can't believe they didn't even mention the OL... crazy!
    :P

Maybe, just maybe the OL is actually pretty good.
    After all that crap in the other thread and you still don't understand what we are trying to tell you.....

No one said we don't have a good line.
    We have a very talented line.
    They just struggled a bit last year in the pass protection because of blitz pickup/recognition especially when they audibled out of a run play (Zone Blocking Scheme) to a pass play (Man Blocking Scheme).

We get the point that you don't agree and nothing we say will change your mind.
    Guess what, you won't change our minds either so why not just give it a rest.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "nikoli" wrote:

After all that crap in the other thread and you still don't understand what we are trying to tell you.....

They just struggled a bit last year in the pass protection because of blitz pickup/recognition especially when they audibled out of a run play (Zone Blocking Scheme) to a pass play (Man Blocking Scheme).

damn Marrdro.. tell him how you really feel??...

I havent been on here lately, so
    i'm not sure whether he was being sarcastic or not.. but it sounds like he was finally conceding the point and jumping on the bandwagon...

I thought you were being good marrdro...

"bleedpurple" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "nikoli" wrote:

gol 'darnit Marrdro.. tell him how you really feel??...

I havent been on here lately, so
    i'm not sure whether he was being sarcastic or not.. but it sounds like he was finally conceding the point and jumping on the bandwagon...

I thought you were being good marrdro...
    He seems to be a good guy, just doesn't see things as I (and the rest of the football world) do.

By the way, you know I am chewing on the keyboard trying to refrain from turning into Bad Marrdro.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

A few threads ago, somebody had a quote from mister Zone blocking himself, Shanahanagains, that it took 5 years to properly install his system.

We know we have talent there...especially, from center to left tackle, I like what Herrera is doing at RG.
    The only question mark is Cook, who has improved his play, but as I recall, had several penalties against the Broncos last game of the year!
    Signing a guy like Starks from PIT sounds great, BUT, you have to wonder if the scheme and its learning curve might make us better off sticking with the guy who has been in it for two years now...at least for the near future.
    In other words, if we sign a bad ass RT, can he improve the overall line play in the first week? month?? year???
    Or even longer?

As for TWill, I'm not sure he'd get much of a chance anywhere but here.
    His struggles are very well documented.
    I for one am not opposed to giving him one more shot in preseason to see if he can earn a roster spot...depending, somewhat, on what he is scheduled to earn/cost us, and possibly taking a pay cut with reception incentives
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

audioghost is offline Star Spokesman

"vikesfargo" wrote:
    Williamson is probably in the top 10 in terms of athletes on the Vikings. We need athletes! Keep Williamson. His first year was with Tice, so he really has had only two years in the NFL so far.
    Shoot, thats the problem with the game today. There's too many bums in the league that get by on their athletic ability. Too many receivers who can't catch...too many db's who are fast but can't cover...I look for the most fundamental thing a WR can do: can he catch the ball? We've seen it with Cris Carter, you don't need world class athletes at WR, you need a smart WR who can get seperation and who can catch the ball...EVERY TIME. If he gets his hands on it he comes down with it 9 out of 10 times. Williamson drops 50% of the balls thrown at him, he's horrible. Whats the use of having a good athlete if he can't catch the ball? He can't use his athletic ability unless the ball's in his hands...

And COME ON! People talk smack about Jackson all day every day, but he made more progress in 1 yr than Troy boy did in 3! Williamson had his shot...he had 3 yrs and he sucked all 3 of them. I'm a big Jackson fan, but if he still looks like he did this year after starting in 2008 and 2009, I will be with the rest of you trying to ship him out of town. I think 3 yrs is a good enough measuring stick to figure out if a guy is a player or a bust. Williamson will have a hard time finding a squad to play on in '08, and I seriously doubt he will ever start again in the NFL. Yeah, he was the #3 guy this year on the team with the worst receiving corps in the NFL...and he blew it. He's done...maybe some team will be real desperate for a KR or something, but otherwise this dude won't get a shot. (See: Charles Rogers)

A.G s HOTTEST NEW RAP CD: AUDIO GHOST & MAIN EVENT drop THE SEED: I made tha beats www.myspace.com/audioghost2006

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"audioghost" wrote:
    "vikesfargo" wrote:
    Williamson is probably in the top 10 in terms of athletes on the Vikings. We need athletes! Keep Williamson. His first year was with Tice, so he really has had only two years in the NFL so far.
    Shoot, thats the problem with the game today. There's too many bums in the league that get by on their athletic ability. Too many receivers who can't catch...too many db's who are fast but can't cover...I look for the most fundamental thing a WR can do: can he catch the ball? We've seen it with Cris Carter, you don't need world class athletes at WR, you need a smart WR who can get seperation and who can catch the ball...EVERY TIME. If he gets his hands on it he comes down with it 9 out of 10 times. Williamson drops 50% of the balls thrown at him, he's horrible. Whats the use of having a good athlete if he can't catch the ball? He can't use his athletic ability unless the ball's in his hands...

And COME ON! People talk smack about Jackson all day every day, but he made more progress in 1 yr than Troy boy did in 3! Williamson had his shot...he had 3 yrs and he sucked all 3 of them. I'm a big Jackson fan, but if he still looks like he did this year after starting in 2008 and 2009, I will be with the rest of you trying to ship him out of town. I think 3 yrs is a good enough measuring stick to figure out if a guy is a player or a bust. Williamson will have a hard time finding a squad to play on in '08, and I seriously doubt he will ever start again in the NFL. Yeah, he was the #3 guy this year on the team with the worst receiving corps in the NFL...and he blew it. He's done...maybe some team will be real desperate for a KR or something, but otherwise this dude won't get a shot. (See: Charles Rogers)
    A lot more people support your opinion than you think.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

"audioghost" wrote:
    "vikesfargo" wrote:

I just moved you up 3 columns my friend.
    ;D

Frostbite is offline Coach

What's wrong with our O-line now Marrdro?? ;D

The Horse was beaten, died, burried, and is now turned to dust in it's grave.

It's the pass rush that we could use more help in. Opposing QBs can stand in the pocket 6-8 seconds on average before even feeling any threat. I don't care if you have the greatest defensive backs of all time....they will get burned with that much open pocket time, by any starting QB in this League.

Start to get some pressure on the QB off the ends with a 4 man rush (No Blitzes) and watch how much better our pass defense gets. When we have to call blitzes all the time to get pressure and sacks it puts the defesive backs in to many man coverage situations. Eventually that's gonna kill ya.

To me one of the weakest areas we have currently is our pass rush. JMHO.

Although another top WR wouldn't hurt either....How about both??

Cheers!
    Where is Frostbite Falls Minnesota?

"Frostbite" wrote:
    What's wrong with our O-line now Marrdro?? ;D

The Horse was beaten, died, burried, and is now turned to dust in it's grave.

It's the pass rush that we could use more help in. Opposing QBs can stand in the pocket 6-8 seconds on average before even feeling any threat. I don't care if you have the greatest defensive backs of all time....they will get burned with that much open pocket time, by any starting QB in this League.

Start to get some pressure on the QB off the ends with a 4 man rush (No Blitzes) and watch how much better our pass defense gets. When we have to call blitzes all the time to get pressure and sacks it puts the defesive backs in to many man coverage situations. Eventually that's gonna kill ya.

To me one of the weakest areas we have currently is our pass rush. JMHO.

Although another top WR wouldn't hurt either....How about both??

Cheers!
    You know me.
    Always on the OL as I am on the DL.
    Its what I do.
    ;D

Couldn't agree more.
    We need a RDE that can get us 10 or 12 sacks this year.
    Probably gonna need help at S as well if both Doss and Smith are allowed to leave/given thier walking papers.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast