Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Quarterback Execution!

The Vikings biggest problem is at Quarterback!

ATL - TJ played well, managed the game.
    He didn't make a ton of passes downfield.
    http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter?game_id=29201&displayPage=tab_gamecente r&season=2007&week=REG1

ATL 3 vs Viking 24

TJ's line = 13 of 23 for 163 yds, 1 TD, 1 INT

Longest completion was to AP for 60 yds on a screen.

TJ didn't hit the same receiver more than twice.

He hit 2 TE, 2 RBs, 1 FB, and 4 WRs.
    (Ferguson didn't get any, to new)

There was no presuure on the QB because the Defense had already won that game with 2 TDs.

Joey Harrington outpassed TJ with 199 yds also had more INTs

Game ball
    Minnesota's defense. The team forced Harrington to hold on to the ball too long, allowed just 219 total yards, collected five sacks and ran both of its interceptions back for touchdowns.
    Det - TJ didn't play well and didn't manage the game. IMHO, he tried too hard.
    http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter?game_id=29220&displayPage=tab_gamecente r&season=2007&week=REG2

Det 20 vs Vikings 17

TJ's line = 17 of 33 for 166 yds, 0 TD, 4 INT.
    He had a rushing TD.

Longest completion was to AP for 24 yds. Longest to a WR was 12 yds.

TJ had 5 completions to Wade.

He hit 7 different receivers. 10 completions to RBs(FBs) and 10 to (3) WRs.

Once again the Defense help TJ out taking some of the presuure off the Offense.

Noteworthy
    Penalties cost both teams: The Vikings were penalized 12 times for 96 yards while the Lions were flagged seven times for 44 yards. ... Hanson (48 yds) and Ryan Longwell (52 yds) each missed potential game-winning field goals in the closing minute of regulation. ... Minnesota backup Brooks Bollinger replaced Tarvaris Jackson in overtime.
    KC -
    TJ didn't play, injury, Holcomb got the start. He looked sloppy like a newb to the offense.
    http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter?game_id=29230&displayPage=tab_gamecente r&season=2007&week=REG3

KC 13 vs Vikings 10

KH's line = 14 of 28 for 165 yds, 0 TD, 0 INT.

Longest completion was to AP for 35 yds. Longest to a WR was 11 yds (to a TE was 25 yds).

KH had 4 completions to Wade.

He hit 5 different receivers. 5 completions to RBs and 9 to (3) WRs.

Once again the Defense help the offense by keeping KC in check.
    Kept the game within reach.

Peterson also help the QB for the 3rd straight game with big plays and running yds.

Game balls
    Adrian Peterson rushed for 102 yards and a touchdown, but did most of his damage in the first half. Chiefs defensive end Jared Allen returned from a suspension to lead the team with eight tackles, a pair of sacks and a forced fumble. Allen was key in K.C.'s second-half adjustment that helped bottle up Peterson by keeping him from turning the corner and getting outside. Chiefs defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham considered benching Allen in the second half, but was rewarded for his faith.

QB analysis:

IMHO, or excuses for the QB play so far, we are young at the QB spot.
    In the first game, the QB couldn't lose the game because the Defense won the game for us, as long as he didn't turn the ball over that is.
    TJ did enough not to lose that game.
    In the Det game, TJ was inaccurate and probably felt the pressure, knowing that Det was going to put the ball in the air and probably score a minimum of 2 TDs through the air.
    They throw the ball too much not to assume that.
    He also threw some INTs, came out and tried to make up for those bad plays.
    In KC, Holcomb came out and tried, and I will say it again "tried" his best to manage that game and not lose it.
    He probably doesn't know the offense or the players well enough to
    win games yet.
    Bowe made a hell of a catch, look at that photo above.
    That was the game right there.

I will not blame the coaches for the losses.
    They are inching the QBs along and they have kept us in all the games.
    They called two plays in KC that got guys open in the endzone and we didn't get scores.
    Moore's pass to Shank should have been caught, wide open.
    KH's pass to Ferguson, no excuses, was overthrown and cost us the game.

If the QB executes the game plan, doesn't throw INTs, doesn't drop the center exchange and delivers the ball accurately, we are 3-0.
    I am not giving up on our QBs and I don't think it is time to panic.
    We lost two tough road game.
    I would say that more experience at QB, and we would have won that game in Det.
    On the road is where the QBs have to play mistake free football.
    Holcomb didn't make the turnover mistakes on the road, he just didn't make the play when he had the chance.
    I also think it was evident that KH didn'thave a grasp on the O yet when you look at the distribution of the ball.
    It is considerably less than TJs distribution.

The QBs execute (or maintain) and we win games.

Re: Quarterback Execution!

One thing I forgot to mention about the KC game, was that it seemed to me that KH was holding on to the ball a bit to long.
    Coverage sacks?
    Not knowing where the WRs are going to be?
    Deer in the headlights?
    Holcomb needs to get the ball away.
    I think that is what the coaches told him shortly before he did get the ball away and it caused us a loss of down and some yards.
    That was a game changer right there.

[size=7pt] 4th Quarter

Kansas City Chiefs continues ...
    1-10-KC 31 (15:00) 27-L.Johnson up the middle to KC 33 for 2 yards (52-C.Greenway).
    2-8-KC 33 (14:29) 11-D.Huard pass short right to 88-T.Gonzalez to KC 37 for 4 yards (42-D.Sharper).
    3-4-KC 37 (13:56) 11-D.Huard pass short middle to 88-T.Gonzalez to MIN 48 for 15 yards (52-C.Greenway).
    1-10-MIN 48 (13:15) 11-D.Huard pass incomplete deep middle to 82-D.Bowe.
    2-10-MIN 48 (13:10) 11-D.Huard pass short left to 82-D.Bowe to MIN 31 for 17 yards (56-E.Henderson).
    1-10-MIN 31 (12:24) 27-L.Johnson right tackle pushed ob at MIN 3 for 28 yards (23-C.Griffin, 95-K.Udeze). PENALTY on KC-80-J.Webb, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at MIN 21.
    1-10-MIN 31 (12:09) 26-M.Bennett right tackle to MIN 30 for 1 yard (98-D.Scott).
    2-9-MIN 30 (11:29) 26-M.Bennett left end to MIN 23 for 7 yards (52-C.Greenway).
    3-2-MIN 23 (10:48) 11-D.Huard pass short right to 82-D.Bowe to MIN 17 for 6 yards (26-A.Winfield).
    1-10-MIN 17 (10:06) 27-L.Johnson up the middle to MIN 16 for 1 yard (95-K.Udeze).
    0-0- Timeout #1 by KC at 09:29.
    2-9-MIN 16 (9:29) 11-D.Huard pass left to 82-D.Bowe for 16 yards, TOUCHDOWN.
    0-0-MIN 2 6-D.Rayner extra point is GOOD, Center-51-J.Darche, Holder-2-D.Colquitt.
    Minnesota Vikings at 09:23
    6-D.Rayner kicks 75 yards from KC 30 to MIN -5. 84-A.Allison to MIN 10 for 15 yards (22-D.Patterson).
    1-10-MIN 10 (9:18) 13-K.Holcomb pass short right to 28-A.Peterson ran ob at MIN 15 for 5 yards (69-J.Allen).
    2-5-MIN 15 (8:45) 13-K.Holcomb pass deep right to 81-V.Shiancoe to MIN 36 for 21 yards (56-D.Johnson).
    1-10-MIN 36 (8:08) 28-A.Peterson left end to MIN 42 for 6 yards (25-G.Wesley).
    2-4-MIN 42 (7:29) 13-K.Holcomb pass incomplete. PENALTY on MIN-13-K.Holcomb, Intentional Grounding, 10 yards, enforced at MIN 42.
    3-14-MIN 32 (7:24) (Shotgun) 13-K.Holcomb pass incomplete short middle to 19-B.Wade (25-G.Wesley).
    4-14-MIN 32 (7:15) 5-C.Kluwe punts 50 yards to KC 18, Center-46-C.Loeffler. 85-E.Drummond to MIN 38 for 44 yards. PENALTY on KC-22-D.Patterson, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at KC 24.[/size]
    2nd and 4, penalty plus loss of down makes it 3rd and 13.
    This also happened on the posession after the TD.
    It was a real momentum swing. When that intentional grounding call was made, the fans were going nuts.
    Oh ya, and see that this was the possesion that Allison F'd up on and thought he would run it out of the end zone after pausing for 3 seconds.
    WTF!

StillPurple is offline Hall of Famer

My solution to our QB situation is to run the ball, like 25 times a game, to set up the pass. Keep running it and then when the safeties come up into the box, hit the receivers in man coverage. I don't think our QB can beat a defense that is playing pass prevent.

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

I also felt like holcumb didn't know the playbook yet. He did pretty well with the scripted plays but the playbook seemed smaller in the second half.
    Was it playcalling or Holcumb not up to speed yet?
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

Plain and simple, we need to get our shit together.....Period

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

jdvike is offline Hall of Famer

Re: Our Quarterback's Execution!....I'm in favor of
    it

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion

When I read the thread title I thought we had found a way to solve our QB dilemma.
    ;D

WWBGD

jdvike is offline Hall of Famer

"RK." wrote:
    When I read the thread title I thought we had found a way to solve our QB dilemma.
    ;D
    Great minds....... ;D
    How does sunrise sound ?

"StillPurple" wrote:
    My solution to our QB situation is to run the ball, like 25 times a game, to set up the pass. Keep running it and then when the safeties come up into the box, hit the receivers in man coverage. I don't think our QB can beat a defense that is playing pass prevent.
    That is what happened, what we are doing.
    KC was playing the run, they bit on it and Ferguson and Shank got open.
    That play calling will work.
    But witout the QB to make it happen, we have to dumb down our offense even further because they aren't making plays.
    The QBs are limiting the playbook used on gameday.
    It can get better.
    That is my take (opinion) on it!

It can get better.
    We need to get TJ back on the field KH doesn't know the plays IMHMMQBO.

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

It's a pretty decent breakdown SIA. And I agree.

So far our season could go either way, but the main important thing is that if the defense keeps playing like they have we will be in games, so we should be able to get some wins here and there.

I also think the important thing is that the QBs have to develop as the season progresses, which is also why I keep saying; lets get TJack back out there as soon as possible so he can get those snaps.

Besides the developing of QB play, it'll be fun to see how the D keeps up when we are going to play better QBs in our near schedule, like Favre, Romo and McNabb. That's a different challenge altogether, than the likes of Harrington, Kitna and Huard.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast