Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    tgorsegner is offline Coordinator

Quarterback Carousel Continues With Vikings

Brooks Bollinger (AP/Tom Olmscheid)
    By John Holler

Posted Oct 31, 2007

Brooks Bollinger has been all over the Vikings’ depth chart at quarterback in only seven games this season. It seems too typical of his career, and he’ll have to just sit and see how Tarvaris Jackson’s fractured finger progresses to know if he’ll start or sit on Sunday against the Chargers.

http://det.scout.com/a.z?s=93&p=2&c=696684

i found this interesting. if for no other reason than it not only tells whats going on now, but also how we got here. kinda scary to think about.

VikesFan787, Thanks for the awesome sig!

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Quarterback Carousel Continues With Vikings

"tgorsegner" wrote:

By John Holler

Posted Oct 31, 2007

Brooks Bollinger has been all over the Vikings’ depth chart at quarterback in only seven games this season. It seems too typical of his career, and he’ll have to just sit and see how Tarvaris Jackson’s fractured finger progresses to know if he’ll start or sit on Sunday against the Chargers.

i found this interesting. if for no other reason than it not only tells whats going on now, but also how we got here. kinda scary to think about.
    Well Childress does like ALL of his QBs...for some reason
    ;D

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"ItalianStallion" wrote:
    "tgorsegner" wrote:

By John Holler

Posted Oct 31, 2007

;D
    At least thats what he tells Joe public.
    Wonder what he really says in private to the coaches.

It does give us a good rundown but misses quite a bit of the history behind all of it. One just needs to go back say, 7 years, look at what happened to see why we are in the mix we are in.

Brief recap.
    Poor drafting/QB developmental plan since Daunte was selected.
    Lack of commitment with respect to keeping any vet since and to include Daunte.
    Lack of backups in price range of current regime/organization.
    Poor draft strategy by front office personn/dickhead who I refuse to name which landed us TJ instead of Cutler and probably Clemens.
    Said Dickhead was shortly fired after he dicked that and the selection of OT.
    2007 draft results much better.
    Coaching staff recognizes slight issue with QB's on roster.
    Ask for KH but front office won't pay Eagles thier asking price.
    Front office relents just prior to season and bring in KH.
    Now he is behind the curve.

That my friend, is scary.

;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Losing has become all too familiar for the Minnesota Vikings over the last 366 days. Starting with the Oct. 30 shellacking by the Patriots last year, the Vikings have lost 13 of their last 17 games – the worst marks in the NFL during that span.
    Ouch!

patistheman is offline Starter

"snowinapril" wrote:
    Losing has become all too familiar for the Minnesota Vikings over the last 366 days. Starting with the Oct. 30 shellacking by the Patriots last year, the Vikings have lost 13 of their last 17 games – the worst marks in the NFL during that span.
    Ouch!
    They are tied for second worst.
    The Raiders have the worst, they have lost 14 of their last 17.
    Heard that on KFAN earlier this week.

Atlanta was one of the other teams that was tied with the Vikings, I'm not sure of the other one, I believe it was Miami.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "ItalianStallion" wrote:
    "tgorsegner" wrote:

By John Holler

Posted Oct 31, 2007

;D

It does give us a good rundown but misses quite a bit of the history behind all of it. One just needs to go back say, 7 years, look at what happened to see why we are in the mix we are in.

Brief recap.

Poor draft strategy by front office personn/dickhead who I refuse to name which landed us TJ instead of Cutler and probably Clemens.
    Ask for KH but front office won't pay Eagles thier asking price.Front office relents just prior to season and bring in KH.

;D
    You're hitting on an area that has bugged me for some time.
    This regime doesn't seem willing to pay big dollars for skill positions.
    Especially in the QB position, arguably the most important position on the team.
    Our 3 roster qb's salaries combined is probably less than a number of team's backup qb's (I can't back that up).
    This is more than getting the right guy for the system, this is about not willing to spend money.

They are out looking for value, not difference makers.
    Is this Childress, or is this Zygi and gang.
    Probably the latter as the economics of running an NFL franchise in MN may make it difficult for the bean counters to justify the benefit of playmakers to the bottom line.

Brad, I'll let you go out and get 3 top players to build your dynasty on.
    Only 3, you get to choose, but after that you're going to have to find a way to win with below average salary guys.
    Hmm.. okay, lets see.
    I can only get 3, if Tom Brady was available, I'd get him... I don't really want to take a chance on a guy like Brees or Green and then only have 2 choices left.
    Okay, I'll get the best guard in the NFL to help my running game and solidify my offensive line, after all everyone knows it all starts in the trenches. I'll compromise a little on the RB salary by getting a backup guy and paying him starter money and then maybe they'll give me an extra pick... Okay Fran is really pulling for Leber, I know I need help at LB, he's not super expensive, so lets get him and then with my newly given 4th pick I'll get.. huh, what,
    shit they are still only giving me 3 picks.
    Oh well, lets see what we can do.

It could very well be that Childress is not allowed to bring in the players that he wants and is forced to try and build through lower dollar approaches (draft, second tier players,...).

"tastywaves" wrote:
    Especially in the QB position, arguably the most important position on the team.
    Our 3 roster qb's salaries combined is probably less than a number of team's backup qb's (I can't back that up).
    This is more than getting the right guy for the system, this is about not willing to spend money.

Probably the latter as the economics of running an NFL franchise in MN may make it difficult for the bean counters to justify the benefit of playmakers to the bottom line.
    I don't know if that's really fair to say.
    I do think that this team, Childress' previous team, and Spielman's previous team all have had low regard for the need for talent at the WR position.

But at the QB position I only see two good players that we could have gotten for cash rather than draft picks.
    Drew Brees was a free agent in the spring of 2006, and Jeff Garcia was a free agent this year.
    I think the Brees thing wasn't really being considered because of the money, the injury, and because Brad Johnson had played well.
    It's hard to fault the team for that one.
    Not making a serious run at Jeff Garcia looks like an error in hindsight, and I think the team made a mistake, but I also don't remember Garcia getting any special attention on these boards either.
    I don't know if it was obvious at the time.

So, I think that there hasn't been a fair test to see whether this team is willing to spend for playmakers at the skill positions.
    My guess is that if that situation came up, we would jump on a good QB.
    It just doesn't happen that often.
    If a QB is really good, a team doesn't let him go.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

achilton87 is offline Waterboy

Is the quality of players? or is it the quality of coaching they are receiving?

One could argue both sides.

My opinion is that you work with what you have. If you have mediocre players you need to coach smarter and better. With pro bowl players you most likely wont have to coach in that direction.

Minnesota has not had consistent coaching system and personal to use for a good bit of time. When we do get someone decent ( Billick, linehan, tomlin) to name a few. They get plucked away and they have to start all over again. The players than have to learn a new system or a new coach's idiosyncrasies.

It all starts from the top. Commitment, patience, and the balls to get it done.

We have had great talent, we have had great coaches, we have not had commitment and patience and the balls to get it done when we
    need to.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

"Overlord" wrote:
    "tastywaves" wrote:

I don't know if that's really fair to say.
    I do think that this team, Childress' previous team, and Spielman's previous team all have had low regard for the need for talent at the WR position.

But at the QB position I only see two good players that we could have gotten for cash rather than draft picks.
    Drew Brees was a free agent in the spring of 2006, and Jeff Garcia was a free agent this year.
    I think the Brees thing wasn't really being considered because of the money, the injury, and because Brad Johnson had played well.
    It's hard to fault the team for that one.
    Not making a serious run at Jeff Garcia looks like an error in hindsight, and I think the team made a mistake, but I also don't remember Garcia getting any special attention on these boards either.
    I don't know if it was obvious at the time.

So, I think that there hasn't been a fair test to see whether this team is willing to spend for playmakers at the skill positions.
    My guess is that if that situation came up, we would jump on a good QB.
    It just doesn't happen that often.
    If a QB is really good, a team doesn't let him go.
    You may be right, but I'll believe it when I see it.

I understand that there are rarely great quarterbacks available.
    But when the biggest question mark on your team is QB, and if money is not an object, than why not go out and bring in somebody who has at least had some success in running an offense, even if they are perceived as expensive or require us to give something up.
    I don't wan't to see 3 minimum wage guys running our offense, this does not build confidence that we are tyring to put the best team on the field.
    You can't tell me that Bollinger and Holcombe were the best options available to us regardless of the price.

I would rather see them spend on guys with some risk (like Brees) and fail, then to simply say he is too expensive.
    It may be the wrong decision, but it is not letting money lower your chances of success.
    We have a big cap space and a losing team, we can afford a few high price gambles that have the potential for large rewards.

I think it is pretty clear right now, that we are pretty shaky at QB, lets see what we get going into next year.
    I would not be surprised to see the same 3 qb's suiting up for us in '08 and a lot of the same rationale given as to why we didn't sign anyone.
    Sure hope TJ gets good quick.

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

"tastywaves" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "ItalianStallion" wrote:
    "tgorsegner" wrote:

By John Holler

Posted Oct 31, 2007

;D

Brief recap.

Ask for KH but front office won't pay Eagles thier asking price.Front office relents just prior to season and bring in KH.

;D

Brad, I'll let you go out and get 3 top players to build your dynasty on.
    Only 3, you get to choose, but after that you're going to have to find a way to win with below average salary guys.
    Hmm.. okay, lets see.
    I can only get 3, if Tom Brady was available, I'd get him... I don't really want to take a chance on a guy like Brees or Green and then only have 2 choices left.
    Okay, I'll get the best guard in the NFL to help my running game and solidify my offensive line, after all everyone knows it all starts in the trenches. I'll compromise a little on the RB salary by getting a backup guy and paying him starter money and then maybe they'll give me an extra pick... Okay Fran is really pulling for Leber, I know I need help at LB, he's not super expensive, so lets get him and then with my newly given 4th pick I'll get.. huh, what,
    shit they are still only giving me 3 picks.
    Oh well, lets see what we can do.

It could very well be that Childress is not allowed to bring in the players that he wants and is forced to try and build through lower dollar approaches (draft, second tier players,...).

lol, say what you will about zygi & the vikings, but there is absolutely NO validity in saying that he's cheap.
    This is a man that he and his partners have said they'd put 1 billion dollars towards a stadium.
    When he took over we went from having the smallest and most underpayed coaching staff in the league to the largest.
    He's signed players like pat & kevin williams, adrian peterson, chester taylor, etc considerable salaries.
    Isn't KW the highest paid player at his position or close?

The problem isnt lack of willingness to pay players, the problem is trying to get ahold of the right ones.
    some choices have been questionable.. but at least they're trying harder than the last regime

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast