Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vikesfan is offline Starter

Qstn. about our running backs

I have a question about our running backs. I have watched every Vikes game since I can remember (you gotta love NFL Sunday Ticket) but have never been much of a college football fan. Therefore, guys like Williamson, Fason, James, etc are all unfamiliar to me until I watch them in the purple and gold.

Anyway, my questions pertain to M. Moore and C. Fason. I have heard many people talk about how they both could be our featured back, or next year Fason will take over as the starter, blah, blah, blah. But when reading other posts or info from NFL websites, many people think that both Fason and Moore could never succeed as more than a 3rd down back. Last year, Moore looked like he had the quickness, agility, and elusiveness to be an everydown back, but many people talked about him replacing M. Williams in a year or two. Now I'm hearing the same about Fason.

I am wondering if someone could fill me in as to what role Fason could realistically have in the NFL and how other people see him. Sure, I've seen his numbers in college, but there is a huge difference between the NFL and college ball, and his speed is not what is often seen from starters. Was he drafted as a replacement to Mo next year, or was he drafted to replace O. Smith, an everydown back. What do you guys think and why? (Sorry for the long post)

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Qstn. about our running backs

I think it's hard to pigeon hole a guy into any one role this early in his career. I personally don't believe Mewelde could only succeed as a third down back, I think he could be very good as a starter. As far as C4 goes, you're right about college ball and the NFL being different, but no one knows as of yet what his role will be or how his skills will translate into the NFL. He could come in and light the world on fire, but who knows? The best example of not haviing any idea how a running back will pan out is Denver. Think of their backs: Reuben Droughns, Olandis Gary, Terrell Davis, Mike Anderson, Clinton Portis to name a few. All of these guys had great years, when no one expected them to. So I think it's too hard to tell.

Personally, I'm a big believer in the play of the offensive line rather than how good a RB is.

magicci is offline Jersey Retired

if bennett doesn't pan out i think our starter next year will be fason with onterrio spelling him and memo on 3rd downs

RandyMoss8404 is offline Hall of Famer

When - note, not if - Bennett gets hurt, Memo will be our starter for years to come.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWgAayphx7Y
    "He s done it! Portugal is through!"

Burley81 is offline Asst. Coach

I think that in the future we will see Fason and MeMo split carries. Bennett doesn't hit the holes right/ gets injured all the time IMO, I am hoping we don't resign Smith, because we cant trust him, and Moe is ageing.

I still want to trade Bennett and some picks to the Cards for Boldin, since Denny loves him so much. But I doubt that will happen after them drafting Arrington...

fred3105 is offline Coordinator

I really dont see much of a future for Moore, but thats probably because I am a big Fason fan. I think Fason could be a feature back next year, maybe this year if Bennett and Moore get injured again. He has most of the tools to be a top RB except he runs upright. He is very elusive and can catch the ball out of the back very well. He is also good size and fairly quick. His 40 could be faster if he ran on a track instead of grass also so I really wouldnt look at that.

I would compare him to Fred Taylor. I just hope he doesn't run upright like Taylor and become injury prone.
    http://homepage.mac.com/vijayr/PSU/MM05PSU2.mov (Mario Manningham)

UkViking is offline Rookie

Hope for a good year for Michael Bennett injury wise, but MeMO has the talent to step up if necessary.
    Fly the colour Purple,and fly it high!

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"RandyMoss8404" wrote:
    When - note, not if - Bennett gets hurt, Memo will be our starter for years to come.
    You're really hell-bent on Bennett getting hurt aren't you 8404? lol I hope you're wrong, but I have no proof that you will be.

Vikefan05 is offline Pro-Bowler

Is it just me or do we really need someone to step up and be an every down back? It felt like the run never took off last year no matter how well someone did. No consistency...I hate running back by committee!!
    Its better to lose the first game than the last one.

UTVikfan is offline Coordinator

It wasn't just RBBC, it was also, most of the O-Line injured. And all of the backs had injuries last year too. I am sure glad we had the depth we did at RB. And I am even happier about the depth/experience we have in both the RB's and O-Line heading into this year. I think the playing time the 2nd stringers got last year may prove to be a lifesaver this year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast