Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    The Bears had a pretty good pass blocking offensive line when McCown played for them. They also had Marshall and Jefferies at receiver with Forte in the backfield.
    Without that, McCown will fail.

I just don't want to reach for a guy at the QB spot again. To me there are only a couple QB's in the first round and I don't think we will see them fall to #8 given who is ahead of us.

drewlovs is offline Asst. Coach
    Guys, we got the coaching change we wanted, and Spielman's work last year (coupled with these new coaching minds) give me hope that our draftees will remain quality. I am no longer looking to make suggestions; instead, I am EXCITED to see what these 3 guys (Spielman, Zimmer and Turner) come up with.

I truly hope the 2 coaches were what Spielman wanted, so they work well together; I get the strong impression Spielman and Frazier did not see eye to eye. Sad, that, because I don't think Frazier ever got the players HE wanted to create the machine he thought would win. That being said, I am POSITIVE our new GM/coaches will get us a quality QB. I have no reason to think otherwise... yet.
    Men are moved by two levers only: fear and self interest.

~Napoleon Bonaparte on Politics

Quote Originally Posted by drewlovs View Post
    Guys, we got the coaching change we wanted, and Spielman's work last year (coupled with these new coaching minds) give me hope that our draftees will remain quality. I am no longer looking to make suggestions; instead, I am EXCITED to see what these 3 guys (Spielman, Zimmer and Turner) come up with.

I truly hope the 2 coaches were what Spielman wanted, so they work well together; I get the strong impression Spielman and Frazier did not see eye to eye. Sad, that, because I don't think Frazier ever got the players HE wanted to create the machine he thought would win. That being said, I am POSITIVE our new GM/coaches will get us a quality QB. I have no reason to think otherwise... yet.
    +1 right there.....Totally agree!

vikesrgreat2 is offline Starter
    Blog Entries
    In my opinion, I think the Vikings should use their #8 first-round pick on the best available defensive player, unless Teddy Bridgewater falls to us there (as predicted by Mel Kiper). At #8, I feel we could choose from most defensive positions (Clowney at DE if he somehow falls there, Louis Nix III at DT, Anthony Barr at LB, Darqueze Dennard at DB). I feel any of those picks would have value for us at #8, without "reaching".

Then, I feel Spielman can take our #40 second-round pick, package it with the remaining mid=round pick from Seattle, and move up into the bottom of the first round (or top of the second round) to get the best available QB. A.J. McCarron would be my personal favorite of the QB's that should be available at that time, but other QB choices like Aaron Murphy, Zach Mettenberger, or Jimmy Garropolo should be value-added without "reaching", and should certainly upgrade the QB talent on our roster.

These are my thoughts for what they're worth...

VikesFan787 is offline Coordinator
    I'm warming up to Carr & Garropolo.

313zoe is offline Starter
    Blog Entries

QB is it possible?

Tha vikings 8th and 2nd round pick should be defense and draft QB Jimmy Garoppolo in tha 3rd round and a WR wit Seattle 3rd round pick

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    CB Prospects - Who are you guys looking for.

I would like us to select Stanley Jean-Baptiste and Keith McGill in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.
    Both are 6'2 or taller and physical outside CBs. Paring both and putting Rhodes in the Slot would instantly give us an amazing DB.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    CB Prospects - Who are you guys looking for.

I would like us to select Stanley Jean-Baptiste and Keith McGill in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.
    Both are 6'2 or taller and physical outside CBs. Paring both and putting Rhodes in the Slot would instantly give us an amazing DB.
    I'm with you on SJB, and adding a CB early in general...its funny, but you don't see many mocks that have us taking a CB early, and we certainly need one or two!

But, I don't see Rhodes in the nickel. He's too good outside, playing man coverage on the other team's best guy. I say we sign a rather large contract with a vet CB to play nickel...Brent Grimes perhaps? Vontae Davis? DRC from Denver or maybe Altron Verner from TEN. The nickel back job is so complex, so many route options for WRs, TEs, and RBs to run! You need some experience there.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...t-cornerbacks/

The other thing I'm thinking is that Josh Robinson didn't look so bad when he was playing outside...maybe, he can earn a starting gig opposite Rhodes...? But best to draft some more talent/depth at that position anyway. Obviously, being last in the league in passing TDs allowed is unacceptable!

On the other guys, bring Sherels back for STs and depth. There were times when he was our best CB on the field, scary as that sounds. And let Cook walk, unless he takes a super minimum contract with a few incentives...all the talent, just not the health or focus to keep it on the field.

Back to QB, doesn't look like Garrapolo will last into the third anymore. Also, doesn't look like McCarron is going before the third round at this time.

But, it is looking more and more like we probably should go Defense first (and maybe 2nd!?) and perhaps draft 2 project QBs in the mid rounds. Problem is, it looks very likely that the top 3 QBs will be off the board before we pick, and I really don't want us Pondering another reach at 8 when having 3 QBs go before us means we'll have a top five choice at the other positions!

A top flight CB like Dennard or a superstar LB like Barr or moving back a bit and still landing a big badass DT will likely help our team more than the 4th best QB, Carr? with all of his question marks. Hell, we have 2 thirds, what if we drafted McCarron AND Mettenberger in the third!? Or, Boyd or Murray or ???
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12