COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

QB may be one-quarter back

[size=18px]QB may be one-quarter back[/size]
    Johnson likely to play briefly Monday
    BY DON SEEHOLZER
    Pioneer Press

MANKATO, Minn. — If it were up to Brad Johnson, the opening game of the preseason also would mark its midway point.

However, because the Vikings' starting quarterback has no say in the matter, he has a pretty good idea how much game time he needs in Monday night's exhibition opener against Oakland and the other three exhibitions to get ready for the regular season.

"The big thing is just having your legs underneath you," Johnson said. "I feel pretty comfortable with the system. I would expect to play a quarter (Monday night), a quarter and a half (in the next game), then a half, and then maybe just kind of finish it out. That's the way it's kind of worked in the past, but coach Childress might have a different plan."

Coach Brad Childress will wait until Sunday to announce how he plans to use his players against the Raiders.

Despite countless repetitions on the practice field, Johnson said the preseason is a necessary step as he and the rest of the offense try to get their timing down.

But that doesn't mean he looks forward to these games.

"I love to play, but obviously I wish we played two preseason games and 18 regular-season games," Johnson said. "I wish it was turned around, but the way the league is set up it probably will never change."

Offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell, on the subject of playing time Monday night for Johnson, said, "I'd like him to play the whole game, but we know that's not going to happen.

"One thing I always hope for is that we win the toss, because if we win the toss, we go on offense and we know we're going to get our plays. Sometimes you end up losing the toss, all of a sudden you get two plays and the quarter is over."

Glove story: Offensive tackle Bryant McKinnie has been practicing with a protective pad on his left hand since suffering a partial fracture Wednesday, but that might change.

"We've been experimenting, so I might change something else up and try something else new," McKinnie said, noting he might try something bigger. "More cushion so I can use it more."

McKinnie, the Vikings' starting left tackle, said his goal is to find protection that gives him confidence about the injured hand.

"It's too exposed," he said. "I think my finger's too exposed, so I didn't really want to use it too much. Most likely you'll see a big boxing glove on tomorrow."

Whittle back: One day after leaving practice early because of a rapid heart rate, backup center Jason Whittle participated in the full morning session and even flattened defensive tackle Ross Kolodziej during an individual blocking drill.

"It's not a big deal at all," Whittle said. "I feel great. I'm totally fine."

Whittle said his heart rate rose to 180 after he became overheated and drank some cold water. That wasn't the first time.

"It's happened to me about once a year for the last four years," he said. "I don't think it'll happen again."

Fason cleared: Running back Ciatrick Fason, who suffered a concussion Wednesday, ran under a few kicks during the afternoon special-teams session and said he has been cleared to return to full practice today.

"It's my first concussion, so they had to be careful," said Fason, who was injured on a big hit by defensive end Erasmus James. "It was helmet to helmet. It happened even before I got the ball."

Briefly: In preparation for Monday's exhibition, quarterbacks coach Kevin Rogers has been wearing a headset in practice and calling plays in to the quarterbacks.

• Quarterback Mike McMahon worked with the second-team offense for the full morning practice, with rookie Tarvaris Jackson running the third team.

• Senator Dean Johnson (DFL-Willmar), head of a citizen's commission to support the Vikings Northern Lights Stadium project, will be at camp today along with former Vikings coach Bud Grant.

• The Raiders returned 400 tickets for Monday's game.

• Linda Lee of Titonka, Iowa, will have a chance to win $1 million, courtesy of Midwest Wireless, when she attempts a 50-yard field goal before Monday night's game. If Lee fails to connect on her single attempt, she still will receive a Vikings jersey and two season tickets.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: QB may be one-quarter back

Published August 12, 2006 01:46 am

Quarterback Brad Johnson wants to play a lot in Monday’s preseason opener against Oakland, and offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell would like to see his starting quarterback on the field as much as possible.

[size=18px]Vikings notebook: Johnson prepared to play preseason opener[/size]

By Chad Courrier
    Free Press
    Staff Writer

MANKATO —
    Quarterback Brad Johnson wants to play a lot in Monday’s preseason opener against Oakland, and offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell would like to see his starting quarterback on the field as much as possible.

But both know that Johnson won’t see much action in the first preseason game.

“I’ve had a ton of reps in practice,” said Johnson, who expects to play at least the opening quarter and maybe the first half. “The biggest thing is just having my legs underneath me and being in condition for the first (regular-season) game.”

Coach Brad Childress said he’ll discuss playing time for his starters after Sunday’s practice, but Bevell said that Johnson knows the system well enough that he’ll be ready for the opener Sept. 11 at Washington, no matter how much he plays Monday.

“When you’re talking about the offense as a whole, with the new additions on the line, with Brad with the receivers and with the running backs, they all need to work together,” Bevell said. “They have to start to gel and form an identity.”

Whittle returns

Backup center Jason Whittle left practice Thursday when his heart rate reach 180 beats per minute, and while that sounds serious, it’s something that Whittle has learned to deal with.

“It’s happened four times in my life,” he said. “The first couple times, it scared me.”

Whittle said he’s had a rapid heart rate once a year for the last four years, and Thursday, he said he went off the field, sat down and had a drink of cold water. He’s had his heart checked a couple of times, and he’s not concerned. In fact, he said he hasn’t felt this healthy in four or five years.

Hutchinson on top

Defensive tackle Kevin Williams has played against so many guards that the All Pro doesn’t like to rank the competition. But after two weeks of practice, he knows where teammate Steve Hutchinson ranks.

“He’s at the top of the chart,” Williams said.

On consecutive one-on-one pass-rushing drills, Hutchinson completely stonewalled Williams.

Right after that, center Matt Birk squared off against defensive tackle Pat Williams, and Birk won the first drill, Williams the second.

Injury update

Receivers Marcus Robinson and Koren Robinson returned to practice Friday. Marcus Robinson missed two days with a sprained neck, and Koren Robinson sat out Thursday with a knee problem. Running back Ciatrick Fason, who suffered a concussion on Tuesday, was not in pads Friday and worked out on an adjacent practice field.

Tackle Bryant McKinnie fractured his left hand earlier in the week, but he hasn’t missed much practice time. He has his hand heavily taped, and he’s participating in most of the drills.

“The good thing is that he’s out there, trying to tough it out,” Bevell said. “I know it’s tough on him. We appreciate his hard work.”

Plays of the day

Defensive tackle C.J. Mosley put a big hit on running back Wendell Mathis during a nine-on-nine drill, and safety Greg Blue laid out tight end Jeff Dugan after a reception, continuing a strong camp for the rookie from Georgia.

“That’s how I’ve made a name for myself,” Blue said.

The best catch of the morning practice was turned in by Josh Davis, who made a leaping reception from Tarvaris Jackson along the sideline. Jason Carter also made a nice catch, stabbing the ball from behind him, knocking it up in the air and catching it before the defensive back arrived.

For the second consecutive day, linebacker E.J. Henderson made a interception, using his vertical jump to snare the ball before going out of bounds.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Published August 12, 2006 01:46 am

[size=18px]Vikings notebook: Johnson prepared to play preseason opener[/size]

By Chad Courrier
    Free Press
    Staff Writer

MANKATO —

But both know that Johnson won’t see much action in the first preseason game.

“I’ve had a ton of reps in practice,” said Johnson, who expects to play at least the opening quarter and maybe the first half. “The biggest thing is just having my legs underneath me and being in condition for the first (regular-season) game.”

Coach Brad Childress said he’ll discuss playing time for his starters after Sunday’s practice, but Bevell said that Johnson knows the system well enough that he’ll be ready for the opener Sept. 11 at Washington, no matter how much he plays Monday.

“When you’re talking about the offense as a whole, with the new additions on the line, with Brad with the receivers and with the running backs, they all need to work together,” Bevell said. “They have to start to gel and form an identity.”

Whittle returns

Backup center Jason Whittle left practice Thursday when his heart rate reach 180 beats per minute, and while that sounds serious, it’s something that Whittle has learned to deal with.

“It’s happened four times in my life,” he said. “The first couple times, it scared me.”

Whittle said he’s had a rapid heart rate once a year for the last four years, and Thursday, he said he went off the field, sat down and had a drink of cold water. He’s had his heart checked a couple of times, and he’s not concerned. In fact, he said he hasn’t felt this healthy in four or five years.

Hutchinson on top

Defensive tackle Kevin Williams has played against so many guards that the All Pro doesn’t like to rank the competition. But after two weeks of practice, he knows where teammate Steve Hutchinson ranks.

“He’s at the top of the chart,” Williams said.

On consecutive one-on-one pass-rushing drills, Hutchinson completely stonewalled Williams.

Right after that, center Matt Birk squared off against defensive tackle Pat Williams, and Birk won the first drill, Williams the second.

Injury update

Receivers Marcus Robinson and Koren Robinson returned to practice Friday. Marcus Robinson missed two days with a sprained neck, and Koren Robinson sat out Thursday with a knee problem. Running back Ciatrick Fason, who suffered a concussion on Tuesday, was not in pads Friday and worked out on an adjacent practice field.

Tackle Bryant McKinnie fractured his left hand earlier in the week, but he hasn’t missed much practice time. He has his hand heavily taped, and he’s participating in most of the drills.

“The good thing is that he’s out there, trying to tough it out,” Bevell said. “I know it’s tough on him. We appreciate his hard work.”

Plays of the day

Defensive tackle C.J. Mosley put a big hit on running back Wendell Mathis during a nine-on-nine drill, and safety Greg Blue laid out tight end Jeff Dugan after a reception, continuing a strong camp for the rookie from Georgia.

“That’s how I’ve made a name for myself,” Blue said.

The best catch of the morning practice was turned in by Josh Davis, who made a leaping reception from Tarvaris Jackson along the sideline. Jason Carter also made a nice catch, stabbing the ball from behind him, knocking it up in the air and catching it before the defensive back arrived.

For the second consecutive day, linebacker E.J. Henderson made a interception, using his vertical jump to snare the ball before going out of bounds.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"It happened even before I got the ball" thats what i like to hear. if they can do that more often, they should destroy opposing teams

Potus2028 is offline Hall of Famer

Despite countless repetitions on the practice field, Johnson said the preseason is a necessary step as he and the rest of the offense try to get their timing down.

^^^^^^

that's why we need preseason, despite what you all say, i see a necessity for the preseason for all players
    i m better than you, so just give up...

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Another nice read.. Keep them coming boys..

DaunteHOF is offline Coach

McKinnie cant get hurt, definitely need that dude
    Its not braggin if you can do it!!!

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

McKinnie will play through this for sure.

But it does make you wonder who would start if he did go down. Right now Rosey is 2nd on the depth chart at LT. That would be a serious downgrade. But I believe there would be some serious rotation going on up front if it came that far.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

good news =) i love to hear he's doing so well in camp

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese