Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 107
  1. #21
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,916

    Re: QB Hunt, where the Vikings stand!

    Quote Originally Posted by "PurpleTide" #1080528
    I also think we should get Tarvaris on the field this season to see if he has stepped his game up. Especially if we are eliminated from the playoffs. We cannot ignore pressing needs in the draft, and we must bolster our oline, and Dline. I still think we get the best player available with our first couple picks, and that could be a LT, or a monster DT. I think we pick up a Vet QB, continue to develope Webb, let TJ and incoming vet battle it out.
    When I look at the list of FA's, there sure aren't many out there, especially if you are looking for a cat that fits the criteria:

    a. WCO capable. Kolb/Vick/McNabb/Thygpen. List starts dropping off after Thygpen and after watching him this year I don't think anyone is on his bandwagon anymore.

    b. Respected by the fans. I don't see one on the list that any of the yutz fans will buy tickets over if they sign him.

    In the end, we are basically ready to start over again, again, again. For me, I fail to see how the firing of the Chiller solved anything for us. Truth of the matter is, at the end of the season and when FA hits, things are really gonna get ugly as the players start to leave.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  2. #22
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,916

    Vikings Future beyond this season

    We probably could almost merge this into the "QB Hunt" thread, however, my thoughts........

    a. I think we need to remember that this team is made up of alot of "Vets" who are either coming off thier first contract or even thier second contract.

    Those types of players are not ready to stick around on a team that is going to be run by a rookie.

    b. Looking at this draft class, there really isn't a "Ryan, Bradford" type of QB in it. Maybe a couple of chances to land a Flacco kindof guy and heavens forbid a Sanchez guy.

    c. Even though I believed it at the beginning of the year, our defense isn't the same kindof defense that can carry a young QB/offense anymore. If they try to land a Ryan, Bradford and get a Sanchez, the INT's would kill us. Again, the defense can't carry us like the Jets defense did his first year.

    As to the bigger picture that the topic seems to try to get us pointed to.

    I am worried what is going to happen at the end of the year.

    2011 FA
    QB Brett Favre UFA
    WR Greg Lewis UFA
    WR Sidney Rice UFA
    PK Ryan Longwell
    DL Ray Edwards UFA
    DL Brian Robison UFA
    DL Pat Williams UFA
    LB Chad Greenway UFA
    LB Ben Leber UFA

    2012 FA
    TE Jeff Dugan UFA
    TE Jim Kleinsasser UFA
    TE Visanthe Shiancoe UFA
    OT Cullen Loeffler UFA
    LB Heath Farwell UFA
    LB E.J. Henderson UFA

    I don't think the Noodle is another option, unless of course the Ownership group wants to bring him back only to fill seats. I think another year like this year would just about cement the Vikings leaving MN and bringing him back would be the catalyst to making that happen.

    Lewis and Longwell can be fixed with just about any WR and K on the FA market as neither are anything special.

    Phat Pat is done and shouldn't be brought back.

    I still like some of the stuff Ben is doing but I think we have talent on the bench (Erin/Jasper) that could fill in at the Sam.

    Why Greenway, Edwards, TJ, Rice and Robison haven't been inked going into this year is absolutely crazy and IMHO, when you look at 2012 situation, is the reason this team isn't winning this year.

    In the end, the organization failed to take care of its players. It has a shacky leadership situation now that the HC is gone and compound that with a ownership group that will do anything to sell tickets, other than to sign players like them (gave the Noodle an extra 4 mill to skip camp and come loose games), I think is a clear sign that alot of talent will be leaving and not staying.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  3. #23
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,916

    Vikings Future beyond this season

    Quote Originally Posted by "Infidel" #1080464
    Let's not get the cart before the horse (draft horse).

    We have a lot of needs and QB may not be the most pressing.

    If Favre stays healthy and the team improves, he could be back next year.
    When you first joined the site, I actually thought you were just joking. Now, I am 100% convinced you actually hope he does come back.

    WOW.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  4. #24
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,266

    Vikings Future beyond this season

    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1080538
    Quote Originally Posted by "Infidel" #1080464
    Let's not get the cart before the horse (draft horse).

    We have a lot of needs and QB may not be the most pressing.

    If Favre stays healthy and the team improves, he could be back next year.
    When you first joined the site, I actually thought you were just joking. Now, I am 100% convinced you actually hope he does come back.

    WOW.
    Double WOW!

    RK was right, He definitely washes Favre's Jock.

    Was it the last loss or one of the 6 other before that where Infidel was saying how we basically dragged him up here against his will to play football when he wanted to stay retired?

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  5. #25
    snowinapril's Avatar
    snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    13,404

    Re: QB Hunt, where the Vikings stand!

    Vikings sign Mooch to coach and they bring back Favre for one more season. Mooch goes down to Favre's place this summer and crys with Favre about getting him to come to training camp for the first time since he was a Packer.

  6. #26
    snowinapril's Avatar
    snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    13,404

    Re: QB Hunt, where the Vikings stand!

    That rumor about Vick in the post above, wow, I don't believe it.

    It would have been nice to have had the foresight to have taken the chance on Vick out of jail. I bet if Leslie was our coach back then we would have been talked into it by Dungy or the owners that are so concerned with a stadium would have nixed it. Screw public perception when building a football team. Let the football guys do their work.

    With that said, I would take my chances with one FA this season, that is Kolb. He has been groomed. McNabb has a few years left, Kolb has quite a bit more in the tank. He can play in the WCO, when McNabb was hurt, he did well. He has had a short leash this season with the legs of Vick winning the job and the passing.

    1.) Kolb - might have to give up draft position to get him or Vick.
    2.) Draft away and keep TJ to service us for the next 2 years.
    3.) Ask Favre back, but I think if he doesn't come to camp, it won't fly very well with the players. They gave him a pass last season due to the 2009 season stats and how he just came in without camp. Won't happen again!


    ANYONE want to rate the top 4 QBs in order, Vikes would probably get a shot at the 3rd or 4th QB in the draft.

  7. #27
    jargomcfargo's Avatar
    jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    4,776

    Vikings Future beyond this season

    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1080536
    We probably could almost merge this into the "QB Hunt" thread, however, my thoughts........

    a. I think we need to remember that this team is made up of alot of "Vets" who are either coming off thier first contract or even thier second contract.

    Those types of players are not ready to stick around on a team that is going to be run by a rookie.

    b. Looking at this draft class, there really isn't a "Ryan, Bradford" type of QB in it. Maybe a couple of chances to land a Flacco kindof guy and heavens forbid a Sanchez guy.

    c. Even though I believed it at the beginning of the year, our defense isn't the same kindof defense that can carry a young QB/offense anymore. If they try to land a Ryan, Bradford and get a Sanchez, the INT's would kill us. Again, the defense can't carry us like the Jets defense did his first year.

    As to the bigger picture that the topic seems to try to get us pointed to.

    I am worried what is going to happen at the end of the year.

    2011 FA
    QB Brett Favre UFA
    WR Greg Lewis UFA
    WR Sidney Rice UFA
    PK Ryan Longwell
    DL Ray Edwards UFA
    DL Brian Robison UFA
    DL Pat Williams UFA
    LB Chad Greenway UFA
    LB Ben Leber UFA

    2012 FA
    TE Jeff Dugan UFA
    TE Jim Kleinsasser UFA
    TE Visanthe Shiancoe UFA
    OT Cullen Loeffler UFA
    LB Heath Farwell UFA
    LB E.J. Henderson UFA

    I don't think the Noodle is another option, unless of course the Ownership group wants to bring him back only to fill seats. I think another year like this year would just about cement the Vikings leaving MN and bringing him back would be the catalyst to making that happen.

    Lewis and Longwell can be fixed with just about any WR and K on the FA market as neither are anything special.

    Phat Pat is done and shouldn't be brought back.

    I still like some of the stuff Ben is doing but I think we have talent on the bench (Erin/Jasper) that could fill in at the Sam.

    Why Greenway, Edwards, TJ, Rice and Robison haven't been inked going into this year is absolutely crazy and IMHO, when you look at 2012 situation, is the reason this team isn't winning this year.

    In the end, the organization failed to take care of its players. It has a shacky leadership situation now that the HC is gone and compound that with a ownership group that will do anything to sell tickets, other than to sign players like them (gave the Noodle an extra 4 mill to skip camp and come loose games), I think is a clear sign that alot of talent will be leaving and not staying.
    I think a lot depends upon whether the plan is to stick with Frazier or bring in a new coach.
    Leslie may stick with the current system with some modifications. That would lend a bit more stability.
    A different coach could mean different systems and a housecleaning with the inevitable rebuild would likely ensue.

    As to the free agents I only believe that Greenway, Rice, and either Edwards or Robison, but not both, are crucial signings.

    As for 2012, Loeffler and Schiancoe will likely be signed.

    I do think we need to draft a quality QB if one is available. But so many college QB's look like the best thing ever in college but end up being a bust and financial drag on the team, I wouldn't want the job of choosing one.

    I'm not in favor of McNabb and feel TJ deserves one more chance.
    But the Vikings organization needs to somehow find a young franchise type QB.

    There will be challenges with the changes that are occuring.
    But I'm quite optomistic for the future of the Vikings. There's likely to be some short term pain. Hopefully we will see some long term gain.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

  8. #28
    Zeus's Avatar
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minnesota.
    Posts
    23,937

    Vikings Future beyond this season

    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1080536
    2011 FA
    QB Brett Favre UFA
    WR Greg Lewis UFA
    WR Sidney Rice UFA
    PK Ryan Longwell
    DL Ray Edwards UFA
    DL Brian Robison UFA
    DL Pat Williams UFA
    LB Chad Greenway UFA
    LB Ben Leber UFA
    This list does not include Tarvaris Jackson, who is an unrestricted free agent at the end of 2010.

    =Z=

    Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

  9. #29
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,916

    Vikings Future beyond this season

    Quote Originally Posted by "jargomcfargo" #1080544
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1080536
    We probably could almost merge this into the "QB Hunt" thread, however, my thoughts........

    a. I think we need to remember that this team is made up of alot of "Vets" who are either coming off thier first contract or even thier second contract.

    Those types of players are not ready to stick around on a team that is going to be run by a rookie.

    b. Looking at this draft class, there really isn't a "Ryan, Bradford" type of QB in it. Maybe a couple of chances to land a Flacco kindof guy and heavens forbid a Sanchez guy.

    c. Even though I believed it at the beginning of the year, our defense isn't the same kindof defense that can carry a young QB/offense anymore. If they try to land a Ryan, Bradford and get a Sanchez, the INT's would kill us. Again, the defense can't carry us like the Jets defense did his first year.

    As to the bigger picture that the topic seems to try to get us pointed to.

    I am worried what is going to happen at the end of the year.

    2011 FA
    QB Brett Favre UFA
    WR Greg Lewis UFA
    WR Sidney Rice UFA
    PK Ryan Longwell
    DL Ray Edwards UFA
    DL Brian Robison UFA
    DL Pat Williams UFA
    LB Chad Greenway UFA
    LB Ben Leber UFA

    2012 FA
    TE Jeff Dugan UFA
    TE Jim Kleinsasser UFA
    TE Visanthe Shiancoe UFA
    OT Cullen Loeffler UFA
    LB Heath Farwell UFA
    LB E.J. Henderson UFA

    I don't think the Noodle is another option, unless of course the Ownership group wants to bring him back only to fill seats. I think another year like this year would just about cement the Vikings leaving MN and bringing him back would be the catalyst to making that happen.

    Lewis and Longwell can be fixed with just about any WR and K on the FA market as neither are anything special.

    Phat Pat is done and shouldn't be brought back.

    I still like some of the stuff Ben is doing but I think we have talent on the bench (Erin/Jasper) that could fill in at the Sam.

    Why Greenway, Edwards, TJ, Rice and Robison haven't been inked going into this year is absolutely crazy and IMHO, when you look at 2012 situation, is the reason this team isn't winning this year.

    In the end, the organization failed to take care of its players. It has a shacky leadership situation now that the HC is gone and compound that with a ownership group that will do anything to sell tickets, other than to sign players like them (gave the Noodle an extra 4 mill to skip camp and come loose games), I think is a clear sign that alot of talent will be leaving and not staying.
    I think a lot depends upon whether the plan is to stick with Frazier or bring in a new coach.
    Leslie may stick with the current system with some modifications. That would lend a bit more stability.
    A different coach could mean different systems and a housecleaning with the inevitable rebuild would likely ensue.

    As to the free agents I only believe that Greenway, Rice, and either Edwards or Robison, but not both, are crucial signings.

    As for 2012, Loeffler and Schiancoe will likely be signed.

    I do think we need to draft a quality QB if one is available. But so many college QB's look like the best thing ever in college but end up being a bust and financial drag on the team, I wouldn't want the job of choosing one.

    I'm not in favor of McNabb and feel TJ deserves one more chance.
    But the Vikings organization needs to somehow find a young franchise type QB.

    There will be challenges with the changes that are occuring.
    But I'm quite optomistic for the future of the Vikings. There's likely to be some short term pain. Hopefully we will see some long term gain.
    Thats all good, but again, if you look at the guys coming up, alot of money has to be spent as I think most of them are gonna garner top dollar on the market.

    In short, they should have been resigned coming into the season as a means to save some money/resign the most.

    Now we won't have that luxury and if trends track, we will loose more than we can afford which will result in alot of rooks playing right away instead of learning from the bench again.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  10. #30
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,916

    Vikings Future beyond this season

    Quote Originally Posted by "Zeus" #1080558
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1080536
    2011 FA
    QB Brett Favre UFA
    WR Greg Lewis UFA
    WR Sidney Rice UFA
    PK Ryan Longwell
    DL Ray Edwards UFA
    DL Brian Robison UFA
    DL Pat Williams UFA
    LB Chad Greenway UFA
    LB Ben Leber UFA
    This list does not include Tarvaris Jackson, who is an unrestricted free agent at the end of 2010.

    =Z=
    I hear ya, doesn't include AD either. Truth be told, we have alot of players that are coming up that need attention. Because we failed to do it this year, we compounded the problem, instead of making it better.

    I don't care how good we all think Bryzcheapski is, he isn't gonna be able to pull of a miracle of this nature.

    Again, my rationale is based ALOT on the premise that the players feel like the staff didn't take care of them as the staff has done in the past and will elect to move on.

    Caveat - Remember, "In the Past" means that prior to last year, the players that were retained were resigned/extened with one year left on thier contracts. The whole "Tender" thing doesn't count IMHO and was considered a slap in the face by not only our players but most of the cats around the league.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Stu's Hunt Down: Bob Lee, former Vikings QB/punter
    By singersp in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-27-2011, 02:07 PM
  2. MOVED: Vikings stand between Bengals, division crown
    By None in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-13-2009, 11:20 AM
  3. Does anything think the Vikings stand a chance to make it to the Superbowl?
    By Moviefan2247 in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-19-2009, 08:13 AM
  4. Stu's Hunt Down - The Vikings' Love Boat Scandal
    By singersp in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-08-2009, 10:28 AM
  5. Vikings: Veterans stand on shaky ground
    By singersp in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-31-2006, 06:18 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •