Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Re: QB Hunt, where the Vikings stand!

Taylor, Keenum, Dieker, Tolzien, Mustain and Weber

Ya, surprising that Mallet wasn't on there.

Moore will play another year in college.

Traveling_Vike is offline Coordinator

I really, REALLY hope we don't draft a QB with the intention of starting him right off the bat. That recipe almost guarantees a more frustrating year than we've already had this year, especially given the state of our O-line right now.

If you want a project for development, OK, let him fight it out with Webb in TC. But don't expect to get a bona fide starter, and please don't waste a high pick on it now, when we need so much other help more urgently.

Honestly, I think it is way too early to be worrying about this anyway. I know people are tired of the "over-the-hill" QB carousel, but seriously, we need a veteran for leadership. Whether that be Jackson or someone else brought in, we can decide at the end of the season once we know who might be available. And there will be options who are not at the ends of their careers.

My Meeple is purple. What color is yours?

Dibbzz is offline Starter

I like Christian Ponder outta Florida State. He's mobile, athletic, and has a good football I.Q. While his stats this year aren't the highest (183/294, 2038 passing yards and 20 TD's), he has that leadership mentality that all coach's love out of a young QB. He doesn't have a rocket for an arm like Mallett, he makes good decisions and can get the ball to the open receiver. He's also able to run the ball when under pressure and if he can't get the first down, he'll quickly toss it over to the open reciever/back for a decent gain. His talent around him this year hasn't been up to par as previous seasons and he has suffered several injuries, but given a good situation with a good coaching staff in my opinion given where the Vikings will likely draft why not pick up this kid? And in the second round no less?? Take the first round pick with the BPA (preferably O-line or CB) and then steal Ponder (or trade up?) in round two. The Vikes could easily do it, and not that many teams are going to be drafting Quarterbacks in round two. I say with Ponder you get a guy who can watch under Jackson for one year while he learns the Ropes of the offense then by 2012 let's see how he flies with a talented team instead of a sub-par one ala Florida State.

12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Locker has had a horrible year and his stock is falling. I don't know why Luck isn't at the top, because that's where he belongs. Not sure how this is taken around here, but I really want a white QB. No, I'm not even close to racist, but I'd just much rather have a white qb. Like I'd much rather have a black RB and CB. I really hope we get Luck, but doubt he'll be available.

And screw "more pressing needs". QB is the foundation of a team and we haven't had a franchise one for as long as I can remember. Draft a QB and draft him high.
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

Ranger is offline Coach

Quote Originally Posted by "snowinapril" #1080505
    Right now, the Vikes seem to be just on the outside looking in at getting a "legit" QB in the draft. Thoughts?

Draft Order as of Week 12 2010:
    Carolina Panthers 1-10 Need QB
    Buffalo Bills 2-9 Fitzpatrick? Need or Don't?
    Cincinnati Bengals 2-9 Don't
    Detroit Lions 2-9 Don't
    Dallas Cowboys 3-8 Don't
    Denver Broncos 3-8 Don't
    Arizona Cardinals 3-7 Need
    San Francisco 49ers 3-7 Need
    Cleveland Browns 4-7 Don't
    Minnesota Vikings 4-7 Need

Top QBs taken from random draft site:
    1. Jake Locker Washington
    2. Christian Ponder Florida St.
    3. Ricky Stanzi Iowa
    4. Nathan Enderle Idaho
    5. Pat Devlin Delaware
    6. Colin Kaepernick Nevada
    7. Jerrod Johnson Texas A&M
    8. Andy Dalton T.C.U.
    9. Greg McElroy Alabama
    10. Taylor Potts Texas Tech
    Cam Newton wasn't in there, IMO the guy goes pro this year.
    Edit - Also, Taylor, Keenum, Dieker, Tolzien, Mustain and Weber
    Edit - Mallet, Luck, Moore

Right now the top three seem to be:
    Newton, McElroy, and Locker

Don't forget to Vote in the poll.

***** We can move this to the Offseason thread when we start that thread towards the end of the season *****
    Luck is going #1 overall, unless something crazy happens.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Quote Originally Posted by "Traveling_Vike" #1080514
    I really, REALLY hope we don't draft a QB with the intention of starting him right off the bat. That recipe almost guarantees a more frustrating year than we've already had this year, especially given the state of our O-line right now.

If you want a project for development, OK, let him fight it out with Webb in TC. But don't expect to get a bona fide starter, and please don't waste a high pick on it now, when we need so much other help more urgently.

Honestly, I think it is way too early to be worrying about this anyway. I know people are tired of the "over-the-hill" QB carousel, but seriously, we need a veteran for leadership. Whether that be Jackson or someone else brought in, we can decide at the end of the season once we know who might be available. And there will be options who are not at the ends of their careers.
    You my friend are wise beyond your years. Problem for us is that a rational approach to this will not be taken. Especially by the fans. I am sure that almost every fan will want to see the "Sexy" pick and see us not only take a QB in the first round, but they will all lobby to use every pick available to move up to do it.

My thoughts on this........

a. It appears that the Ownership group is really focused on "Fan" opinion.

b. They might focus thier efforts in this area based on that "Fan" opinion.

c. The current roster is littered with vet players coming off thier first and second contracts. They will all leave if they think the staff is going to start to rebuild.

d. A clear indicator that the staff is going to rebuild is to draft a young QB high in the draft.

e. To keep the players happy, they should bring in a quality Vet that is familiar with the scheme. You find one in this mess that fits that criteria.......2011 FA QB's

f. TJ could fit that criteria, however, back to "Fan" opinion. Only waay TJ can be resigned and still garner a positive "Fan" approval rating is if we get to see him under center this year.

What I hope they do.....

a. Bring in a Coach that will continue with the WCO so that we don't see a glut of players leaving.

b. Get TJ on the field so we know what he can do.

c. Continue to develop Webb.

d. Draft a kid with our pick if he falls to us (No moving up) in the first round. If not, get another "Project" after we address DT and LT issues with the first and second round picks.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Draft a QB, but stick with TJ for a year without Childress handcuffing him & using him like a puppet.

It only stands to reason that if even GOD even got better after Childress was gone, imagine what it would do for TJ & Webb without Childress mucking things up.

Especially now that they gutted the playbook that was so complicated, even Favre couldn't run it. successfully.

Certainly no one here should expect TJ or Webb to have been able to run plays that Favre & co. couldn't execute.

But of course, they did.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1080525
    Draft a QB, but stick with TJ for a year without Childress handcuffing him & using him like a puppet.

It only stands to reason that if even GOD even got better after Childress was gone, imagine what it would do for TJ & Webb without Childress mucking things up.

Especially now that they gutted the playbook that was so complicated, even Favre couldn't run it. successfully.

Certainly no one here should expect TJ or Webb to have been able to run plays that Favre & co. couldn't execute.

But of course, they did.
    Quit cracking me up..........

You see this one?

Minnesota Vikings: Source Says Vikes Prepared To Offer Michael Vick a Mega Deal

For those that follow the "Rumor Mill" stuff. Cat mentioned in the article is usually pretty accurate on what he predicts.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

I also think we should get Tarvaris on the field this season to see if he has stepped his game up. Especially if we are eliminated from the playoffs. We cannot ignore pressing needs in the draft, and we must bolster our oline, and Dline. I still think we get the best player available with our first couple picks, and that could be a LT, or a monster DT. I think we pick up a Vet QB, continue to develope Webb, let TJ and incoming vet battle it out.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast