Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Abe Froman is offline Rookie

Which QB could we get the most back for in a trade?

Considering we currently have 4 QB's on the roster, and there are teams like the Bills, Jags, Raiders, etc who always could us a QB, which QB could get us the most in return?

Ponder - piss poor track record, but still fairly young in his career.

Cassel - Has proven something, but not very consistantly.

MBT - I'm really just throwing him in here.

Freeman - We aren't trading him, and nobody is interested, apparently.

I guess my point is, I don't see the value of keeping 3 similarly talented QB's on the roster. Ponder or Cassel should be traded.
    Trying out some new forums since I got my ip banned on Purple Chat 2 weeks ago...

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion
    I don't think any of them have any trade value. I think all 3 stay for this year.

Next year I think Ponder will still be on the roster because his contract is fully guaranteed, so it's basically free to keep him.

vikesrgreat2 is offline Starter
    Blog Entries
    Abe,

Since Ponder is a native of Texas, and went to college at Florida State, I would suggest trading Ponder to Tampa Bay. He could compete with Glennon for the starting QB job there.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcdon00 View Post
    I don't think any of them have any trade value. I think all 3 stay for this year.

Next year I think Ponder will still be on the roster because his contract is fully guaranteed, so it's basically free to keep him.
    Agreed. If we extend Freeman, I think Cassell is gone. If we don't extend Freeman, then we most likely will pick up the second year option on Cassell.

Unless someone is willing to trade for Ponder and pick up his contract, it's hard to believe the Vikings would take the $3M cap hit rather than at least have him on the roster for depth.

Another wild card is if we have turnover on the coaching staff. I think everything is in play if that happens.

Quote Originally Posted by vikesrgreat2 View Post
    Abe,

Since Ponder is a native of Texas, and went to college at Florida State, I would suggest trading Ponder to Tampa Bay. He could compete with Glennon for the starting QB job there.
    Thing is, Tampa Bay was willing to absorb some of Freeman's contract to make a trade work. Don't you think that if Tampa had any interest in Ponder, they would've worked out a trade with us for Freeman before letting him go?

I'm not saying I wouldn't like to see a trade like that be done, I just don't see it happening. I could see some desparate team with injuries being interested in Ponder or Cassel as a shot in the dark. Hell, if we could get a late pick or something like that for either, I'd be all for it.

I do agree with everyone who says they have little to no trade value though. Injuries could change that though.
    Trying out some new forums since I got my ip banned on Purple Chat 2 weeks ago...

Quote Originally Posted by jmcdon00 View Post

I think Ponder stays as well, I'd almost prefer Cassel, but I think Cassel might be the easier trade at this point. If no trade is there, you are right, Cassel is the easier cut. I just hope speilman and company don't hang on to Ponder thinking he still could be our future. I just get nervous that we will pass on QB in the 1st or second round, and take someone late because they feel like grooming a QB is a moot point. I want to see us take someone early in the draft, and groom him behind Freeman to take over in a year or 2. I just don't want another JDB/Thigpin/MBT QB out of the draft or UFA.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    I'm thinking Ponder is worth less in trade value than what Tampa got for Freeman.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    I'm thinking Ponder is worth less in trade value than what Tampa got for Freeman.
    Well... The Wolves traded a 1st away to get rid of Wes Johnson... Maybe, the Vikings should too...

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Abe Froman View Post
    Well... The Wolves traded a 1st away to get rid of Wes Johnson... Maybe, the Vikings should too...
    The Wolves just make me shake my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Minniman View Post
    The Wolves just make me shake my head.
    Yeah, they've sht the bed more than their fair share, but I do see some promising things from them. I've been a die hard fan of them since they came into the league. I rarely miss a game. I think there is something wrong with me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast