Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: QB

Cleveland is offline Waterboy

Re: QB

Thanks for the welcome, fellas.

Just a couple last points and I'll let the topic rest:

Bernie never had the gun Anderson has.
    He can make any throw on the field and makes it look easy.

And I don't know how he would fit in the Vikings present system, but I will say this -- he would have a field day with the safties having to play close to stop that incredibly gifted running back of yours.
    With Anderson I would put my money on the Vikings reaching the Super Bowl.

I do hope the Browns lock him up long term, but if not I hope the Vikings get him.
    If the Browns do sign him, a very nice consulation prize would be Quinn, whom I do believe could step into your situation and play very well (just not as good as Anderson).

Good luck to all of you sports fans in Minnesota.

soonerbornNbred is offline Pro-Bowler

Definitely a San Diego like setting there in Cleveland I really dont think they are going to let DA go...

If they DO and Minnesota doesnt do everything in there powers to grab him you really need to question the powers that be
    A quality QB would do a lot for this team

If Anderson continues to play well and achieves the same success in the second half of the season that he has so far, then I think a 1st and a 3rd rounder would be worth it.

But if he continues to play well, I'm going to go ahead and predict that this guy is not available come next March.
    Cleveland will lock him up.

Someone suggested that this is like the Brees/Rivers situation.
    I don't think it will end up the same way because of how different the contracts are for a #4 overall guy and a #22 overall guy.
    Brady Quinn's contract is large for a backup QB, but not prohibitively so.
    There was also the injury to Brees, and the Chargers weren't sold on him coming back 100%.

Their best case scenario is then that Anderson continues to play well, but that Quinn gets into a few games and plays well enough to broker a Schaub type deal.
    If Anderson doesn't play well, they can give Quinn a chance and cut Anderson after two years.
    That's a huge cap hit but saves some cash.
    Worst case scenario, Anderson and Quinn both stink after this year.
    In that case they continue to be the Browns.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

MNgriff is offline Rookie

"Cleveland" wrote:

And I don't know how he would fit in the Vikings present system, but I will say this -- he would have a field day with the safties having to play close to stop that incredibly gifted running back of yours.

I do hope the Browns lock him up long term, but if not I hope the Vikings get him.
    If the Browns do sign him, a very nice consulation prize would be Quinn, whom I do believe could step into your situation and play very well (just not as good as Anderson).

Great stuff. Thank you for the insiders prospective. I think all of your points are right on and it would be fun.
    Skol

FuadFan is offline Hall of Famer

"Cleveland" wrote:

How do you feel about how he has played in regards with Braylon Edwards and Kellen Winslow have those guys helped elevate him or not because it is a concern to me that if torn away from the comfort zone they help provide and put with our options he may decline.

Do you think he has elevated them with his play?
    Minnesota Vikings : Simply the best

Cleveland is offline Waterboy

One more thing.
    If Anderson does play well and the Browns do lock him up and they decide to recoup their lost first rounder by trading Quinn, here's some things to ponder:

Quinn's contract is that of a late first rounder, plus the Browns would have to swallow (at least I believe they do) on next year's cap the rest of his bonus money (which I think was about $10 mill to start with).
    What this means for whomever trades for him would get him for about $4 million a season of cap space (I am just guessing here).
    This is a nice savings compared to picking a QB high in the draft without a penny going to any guaranteed bonus.
    Now, this is how I stumbled on this site doing research on this.
    I just do not know if the Browns are capable of eating that money on next season's salary cap.
    I do know, however, know they need a lot of help on the D-line and cannot see how they can do it without getting a top pick in the draft (no one allows top linemen go on the FA market).

As far as Quinn's value goes, a couple of things have changed since the draft that makes me believe Quinn's value is much higher since then.
    One of them being the collapse of Notre Dame's team this season.
    The reason why he dropped in the draft, at least in my opinion, was because how they got clobbered against LSU.
    In hindsight it is obvious they got clobbered because they stunk and Quinn was the reason why they even appeared they had a good team.
    I think teams see that now.
    Secondly, the guy was unbelievably good in the preseason.
    I know, that was just preseason; however, that gives a lot more info about a QB then it does rookies coming straight out of college.
    None of this is proof that Quinn is going to be a good NFL QB, but I do believe if the draft were being held again right now he would be a top five pick, maybe even higher.
    Perhaps Oakland would even take him top overall, although I got to say Patterson is obviously the best player.

I guess what I am trying to say is, if Cleveland were to trade Quinn this offseason instead of Anderson it may be worth it for Minnesota to trade their first rounder for him even though he slipped to 22 this past draft.
    In fact, if I were Atlanta and Miami I would strongly consider it as well even if they are sitting there with the top pick.
    I just do not think there is a QB in this season's draft as good as Quinn.

As far as Anderson's weapons helping him this season I say it is helping him a great deal.
    Look no further than Culpepper to see what great players do for QB's.
    Then look at Brady at NE.
    Going into this season he had a QB rating of about 90, which is considered not even pro bowl level.
    Moss goes there and it shoots up 50%.
    Farve stunk the past few seasons.
    The talent improves around him this season and he is enjoying a renaissance.
    To answer your question though, I think any QB is held hostage to the talent around him.
    The thing I like about him though is that he gets rid of the ball so quickly he makes the O-line a great deal better than they really are, which is what makes a great QB a great QB in my opinion.
    I can't get over the six sacks Fry had in a quarter and a half and Anderson's 8 since then.
    And he does see the field really well and he is still learning.
    And a good QB should have a field day in Minnesota with their running game.
    We'll see.

And I really do not think the Vikings are that far off from being a contender, so I really do not think developing another rookie Qb is the way to go.
    Maybe the McNabb thing would work.
    Hell, I don't.

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

I'd rather have Braylon than Anderson.

The browns offense is the shit! Lol i wish we had K2 and Joe Jurevicious(Sp? lol vicious) too. Jamal Lewis is still worth a few yards inside.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"jessejames09" wrote:
    I'd rather have Braylon than Anderson.

The browns offense is the shit! Lol i wish we had K2 and Joe Jurevicious(Sp? lol vicious) too. Jamal Lewis is still worth a few yards inside.
    A few things to consider.

The combined record of teams Cleveland has beat is 6-24

The bottom 4 defenses in Points Per Game are:

Rams
    Browns
    Bengals
    Dolphins

So, I would not crown Anderson nor would I crown their offense.
    What the Browns are doing is beating the teams they should beat, something that has bit them in the ass for the past few years.

Look at Anderson when they played a quality defense:

-----------Comp--Att--Yds--Pct----Y/A--Sack--YdsL--TD--Int

vs. Pitt:----13----28---184--46.4--6.6---1-----12-----1---1---+1 fumble
    vs. Oak----18----37---248--48.6--6.7---1-----24-----1---2
    vs. NE------22----43---287--51.2--6.7---3-----26-----2---3

The Browns are not going to part ways with Quinn.
    Anderson will be the one to go.
    Lets not kid ourselves.

soonerbornNbred is offline Pro-Bowler

comparing DAs with TJs 45% completion rate 134 yrd average per game 2 TDs for the whole season
    Ill take D.Andersons

Your saying he hasnt done it against good opponents, by your example hes thrown 1 more TD against the number 1 team in the league compared
    to TJs 2 for the WHOLE season against lesser opponents

In those 3 games against ranked oppenents DA threw for almost twice what TJ has for the whole season

Hes #2 in the NFL of TDs thrown...#6 in passer Rating top 10 in yardage and all while not playing the first game

Heres the clincher, who are you options ....I think He will be the hottest FA out there, that being said personally I dont think the Browns will let him go

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"soonerbornNbred" wrote:
    comparing DAs with TJs 45% completion rate 134 yrd average per game 2 TDs for the whole season
    Ill take D.Andersons

Your saying he hasnt done it against good opponents, by your example hes thrown 1 more TD against the number 1 team in the league compared
    to TJs 2 for the WHOLE season against lesser opponents

In those 3 games against ranked oppenents DA threw for almost twice what TJ has for the whole season

Hes #2 in the NFL of TDs thrown...#6 in passer Rating top 10 in yardage and all while not playing the first game

Heres the clincher, who are you options ....I think He will be the hottest FA out there, that being said personally I dont think the Browns will let him go
    He played the first game.
    Crennel yanked Frye halfway through the 2nd quarter.

And his stats came against crap teams (refer to my abpve post).

I am not comapring him to TJ, but you cannot say DA is a great QB without considering what he is doing vs good defenses and bad defenses.

???

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast