singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Q & A with Tony Richardson

[size=13pt]Pro Bowl Week[/size]

2/7/2008

By Mike Wobschall, vikings.com

A key element to the Vikings outstanding rushing attack in 2007 was the blocking of fullback Tony Richardson. Adrian Peterson and Chester Taylor, with the help of a powerful offensive line and expert blocking from Richardson, set a franchise record with 2,634 rushing yards....

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Q & A with Tony Richardson

vikings.com: Who did you bring with you to the Pro Bowl?

TR: I brought out my parents and family members, so they’re having a good time. Also, Adrian and I are brining out the other running backs on the team. So Mewelde (Moore) will be here and Chester and all the other guys, along with EB (running backs coach Eric Bieniemy). It will be good to have those guys out here, too.
    I love it when a vet acts like a vet.

These are the benifits of having Vets on a team for a rook to learn by my friends.

Always remember and never forget, a player plays and a coach coaches.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

T-Rich is a class act & solid FB for the Vikings. I hope to see him wearing purple again this year.

The Vikings need him & AD needs him.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    T-Rich is a class act & solid FB for the Vikings. I hope to see him wearing purple again this year.

Couldn't agree more. I really hope they figure out a way to keep him. If nopt I think we are in trouble somewhat since the FB has gone kind of the way of the dinosaur. I know TR is getting up there in age but is showing he can still play at a high level so hopefully there is a plan B just in case.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

I'm not saying this to belittle Richardson, but if he's such a good blocker, why isn't he in more on passing downs to block for TJ?
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"Garland" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

Couldn't agree more. I really hope they figure out a way to keep him. If nopt I think we are in trouble somewhat since the FB has gone kind of the way of the dinosaur. I know TR is getting up there in age but is showing he can still play at a high level so hopefully there is a plan B just in case.
    Is he a free agent? Hasn't he only been here for 2 years? I assume if he is not a free agent that they will keep him, I think he is a good veteran presence and a good influence for the younger players. I don't believe he has ever had trouble with the law, but I could be wrong.

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    I'm not saying this to belittle Richardson, but if he's such a good blocker, why isn't he in more on passing downs to block for TJ?
    It's better to have men at the line pass blocking isn't it? So we opt for an extra tight end.

He is a great run blocker though, and I'm sure he can pass block quite well from a FB or RB position.

Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    "Garland" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

Is he a free agent? Hasn't he only been here for 2 years? I assume if he is not a free agent that they will keep him, I think he is a good veteran presence and a good influence for the younger players. I don't believe he has ever had trouble with the law, but I could be wrong.
    Yes he is a FA this year

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"Garland" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

I'm for one (as much as I like him) don't think he will be back next year as he is not (in my mind) really what the Coaching staff (yes the Chiller) want when it comes to a FB in this scheme.

If you look real close they keep trying to fit a guy in at FB that used to be a TE.
    Rationale is that he can block (TE's do that) and catch the ball (TE's do that as well) thereby effectively putting a double threat on the field.

Now if they could find a guy that could block, catch and run, then you would have a triple threat on the field.
    Those types of FB's are hard to come by.

We seem to have at least one option of getting one of them in the draft this year, possibly 2 so were does the roster spot come from?

Additionally, you have to also take into account the fact that they went out and got Mills (smallish TE) last year for a reason and it wasn't to play right away.
    I think he got to learn the scheme (i.e. versatile role of a TE/FB) and he will be tapped to come in at FB a bit next year.
    T-richs roster spot is the only one that is open/will come open to allow for him to move onto the active roster.

The other option is Dugan but they liked him so much they signed him to a 5 year contract extension in 2006.

Long story short, there will be some changes (my guess) at the FB/TE/RB position this year and T-rich won't be part of it.

83 Jeff Dugan TE/FB (Depends on what page you look at) 26 6-4 258 4 Maryland
    40 Jim Kleinsasser TE (Played some FB) 31 6-3 272 9 North Dakota
    45 Garrett Mills TE (Kindof small for a TE) 24 6-1 235 2 Tulsa
    81 Visanthe Shiancoe TE (Only pure pass catching TE that blocks) 27 6-4 250 5 Morgan State
    30 Mewelde Moore RB (Poor blocker/small/FA) 25 5-11 209 4 Tulane
    28 Adrian Peterson RB 22 6-1 217 R Oklahoma
    49 Tony Richardson RB (Good blocker, limited catching ability) 36 6-1 238 13 Auburn
    38 Naufahu Tahi RB (This guy is the wild card) 26 6-0 254 2 Brigham Young
    29 Chester Taylor RB 28 5-11 213 6 Toledo

FB (Trich) and RB (Memo) roster openings could be addressed in the Draft as backups/potential replacements.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

I can't wait to watch Richardson and Peterson rip up the Probowl