Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Purple Pride

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

Purple Pride

Purple Pride

The Vikings are a painful team. In the last 10 years they’ve lost a heartbreaking NFC Championship game by an overtime field goal and another by a 41-0 deficit, they’ve missed the postseason on the final play of the final drive of the final game and have missed the playoffs three other times. They have taunted us with Pro Bowlers and perennial Hall of Famers that never win the big one, and they have drafted busts that never have the opportunity to win the big one. Yet we as fans keep coming back. If a wife or a girlfriend treated us this way, there’s no way we’d still be around. Imagine dating a girl for years, becoming engaged and being dumped on the wedding day….twice! Personally, I’d be gone so fast her head would spin. But we’re still here on PP.O and we’re still rooting for them every Sunday. What is the reason for this madness? Why do we put ourselves through such torment? It has to be the Purple Pride.

Purple Pride isn’t something that is quantifiable. It’s one of those things that you either have or you don’t. Most men get picked on for wearing purple, but for some reason we wear it proudly on our shoulders. It’s something that only Vikings fans know and very few others understand. It’s something that Bud Grant, Carl Eller and Mick Tinglehoff had, but it’s something that the Randy Moss’s and Daunte Culpepper’s of the world will never understand. It’s something that not even the man who coined the term, Red McCombs, could fully grasp, and it’s certainly not something that any legislator or politician “working” for a stadium can understand. It’s a feeling of admiration for the people who have worn the Vikings uniform in the past and it’s a feeling of respect for those that wear it now. It’s a swelling of hope in your heart and in the pit of your stomach. It’s a voice that says to you, “Maybe this year.” Maybe it’s the same thing a Steelers or a Cowboys fan feels for their team, but I guess we’ll never really know. What I do know is that it is a special feeling, and it’s something that I wouldn’t give up for most things in the world.

I, like most Vikings fans, will never know what it is like to pull on a jersey on Sunday and compete for a Super Bowl title. What I do know however is what it’s like to pull on a jersey on Sunday and root my ass off for my team. So when things go south, when we go on losing streaks, or we miss the playoffs, or our collective hearts are broken again, don’t worry my friends. As long as the Purple Pride is there, there is still hope. So as we face another season that may or may not be lost, wear your purple proudly and root for whoever is on the field and on the sidelines. Whether this team rides off into the sunset an unlikely champion, or it crashes and burns like so many Vikings teams before them, the Purple Pride will still be there in your hearts and in your minds when you wake up in the morning.

Skol!

Webby is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Re: Purple Pride

"Ltrey33" wrote:
    Purple Pride

The Vikings are a painful team. In the last 10 years they’ve lost a heartbreaking NFC Championship game by an overtime field goal and another by a 41-0 deficit, they’ve missed the postseason on the final play of the final drive of the final game and have missed the playoffs three other times. They have taunted us with Pro Bowlers and perennial Hall of Famers that never win the big one, and they have drafted busts that never have the opportunity to win the big one. Yet we as fans keep coming back. If a wife or a girlfriend treated us this way, there’s no way we’d still be around. Imagine dating a girl for years, becoming engaged and being dumped on the wedding day….twice! Personally, I’d be gone so fast her head would spin. But we’re still here on PP.O and we’re still rooting for them every Sunday. What is the reason for this madness? Why do we put ourselves through such torment? It has to be the Purple Pride.

Purple Pride isn’t something that is quantifiable. It’s one of those things that you either have or you don’t. Most men get picked on for wearing purple, but for some reason we wear it proudly on our shoulders. It’s something that only Vikings fans know and very few others understand. It’s something that Bud Grant, Carl Eller and Mick Tinglehoff had, but it’s something that the Randy Moss’s and Daunte Culpepper’s of the world will never understand. It’s something that not even the man who coined the term, Red McCombs, could fully grasp, and it’s certainly not something that any legislator or politician “working” for a stadium can understand. It’s a feeling of admiration for the people who have worn the Vikings uniform in the past and it’s a feeling of respect for those that wear it now. It’s a swelling of hope in your heart and in the pit of your stomach. It’s a voice that says to you, “Maybe this year.” Maybe it’s the same thing a Steelers or a Cowboys fan feels for their team, but I guess we’ll never really know. What I do know is that it is a special feeling, and it’s something that I wouldn’t give up for most things in the world.

I, like most Vikings fans, will never know what it is like to pull on a jersey on Sunday and compete for a Super Bowl title. What I do know however is what it’s like to pull on a jersey on Sunday and root my jiggly butt off for my team. So when things go south, when we go on losing streaks, or we miss the playoffs, or our collective hearts are broken again, don’t worry my friends. As long as the Purple Pride is there, there is still hope. So as we face another season that may or may not be lost, wear your purple proudly and root for whoever is on the field and on the sidelines. Whether this team rides off into the sunset an unlikely champion, or it crashes and burns like so many Vikings teams before them, the Purple Pride will still be there in your hearts and in your minds when you wake up in the morning.

Skol!
    3 Cheers for Ltrey!

Hey, we are in your neck of the woods second week of December, pitchers of beer on us!

SKOL!

Cajun, we have one day scheduled to see you and Polo.... the big man deserves a visit...

SKOL!

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

"Ltrey33" wrote:

The Vikings are a painful team.
    that about summarizes it.

SKOL

DCPologirl is offline Team Alumni

"Webby" wrote:
    "Ltrey33" wrote:
    Purple Pride

I, like most Vikings fans, will never know what it is like to pull on a jersey on Sunday and compete for a Super Bowl title. What I do know however is what it’s like to pull on a jersey on Sunday and root my jiggly butt off for my team. So when things go south, when we go on losing streaks, or we miss the playoffs, or our collective hearts are broken again, don’t worry my friends. As long as the Purple Pride is there, there is still hope. So as we face another season that may or may not be lost, wear your purple proudly and root for whoever is on the field and on the sidelines. Whether this team rides off into the sunset an unlikely champion, or it crashes and burns like so many Vikings teams before them, the Purple Pride will still be there in your hearts and in your minds when you wake up in the morning.

Skol!
    3 Cheers for Ltrey!

Hey, we are in your neck of the woods second week of December, pitchers of beer on us!

SKOL!

Cajun, we have one day scheduled to see you and Polo.... the big man deserves a visit...

SKOL!
    You are coming to visit us????When?
    ;D

DCPologirl:Maybe Randy will make Aaron Brooks look better......roflmao Del Rio: I guarantee he will

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Great post from a true fan.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

I don't think the girlfriend analogy works all that well in this scenario for one reason.

Most guys would die for a girl who continued to suck but never wanted to get married.
    ;D

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:
    I don't think the girlfriend analogy works all that well in this scenario for one reason.

Most guys would die for a girl who continued to suck but never wanted to get married.
    ;D
    Very true...I didn't think that one through.

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

"Ltrey33" wrote:
    "PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:

;D
    Very true...I didn't think that one through.
    Amen!!!!!!

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"Ltrey33" wrote:
    Purple Pride

Skol!
    Yeah, we have a nice family here, a group of people that would never be together unless it had this bond...just like a real family.
    We like to celebrate together, fight over trivial crap, and even share some of our real life.
    Nice to have a place to go when you're in parts unknown with few Vikings fans around.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

scottishvike is offline Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries

Excellent post Ltrey, despite all the disappointments the belief never fades, that's what being a true fan is all about.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast