Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Punters

Punters

Okay, so it looks like we're going with Darren Bennett this year. We signed him to some good money, so I don't see any way around it. But then why hasn't Eddie Johnson been released? Granted, he's looked good in camp, but there's no way we're not putting Darren Bennett in. So my question is this: are we going into the season with two punters on the roster? Is that common or practical?
    Faster than a speeding Grady Jackson! More powerful than a Nick Barnett! Able to leap Ahmad Carroll in a single bound! Look! Up in the sky! It s a bird! It s a plane! It s Jermaine Wiggins!

LosAngelis is offline Team Alumni

Punters

It's always good to have competition in camp. There's almost always two kickers/punters so they can work together and push each other.

Brett Conway was another brilliant third-round pick by the Packers. He was a kicker and was supposed to be the kicker for years to come. He, of course, fell apart, and the other kicker that happened to be in camp, Ryan Longwell, has been around ever since.
    Have you ever seen a race of turtles, and they all go the wrong way instead of towards the finish line?

Welcome to the NFC North.

josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame

Punters

I highly doubt that we would carry two punters on the roster during the season. However, I'm sure we'll bring both into camp, an let them compete against each other. I don't know the number for sure, but I think you get about 80 roster spots, plus your NFL Europe players, to take into training camp, so there will be plenty of room to let the punters fight it out.

purplepat is offline Hall of Famer

Punters

Yes, I think both will go to training camp. I heard that they found a mechanical flaw in Johnson's game and have corrected it, and he is looking much better. However, another article I read today said Bennett's kicks were consistently going 10-15 yards further than Johnson's, and Bennett can put three different types of spin on the ball. I'd kind of like to see Johnson stay close to the Vikings as a developmental project (don't think we can stick him on our practice squad, though) and maybe he will be ready in a couple of years when Bennett is ready to hang it up. Right now though, Bennett looks like a shoe-in at punter this season.
    SKOL VIKINGS!

Punters

Well, for the here and now, I would be in favor of Bennett as our punter. But I'm also aware that he can't keep it up forever, so we need a plan for the future. If Johnson has indeed corrected his game, it would be a shame to lose him and then have him perform well for another team, not to mention that we'd have to start over with another punter. I think we need to keep him somehow, but it seems like it would be a waste of a roster spot or even a practice squad spot (despite having extended the number to 8). Is there another way to keep him on?
    Faster than a speeding Grady Jackson! More powerful than a Nick Barnett! Able to leap Ahmad Carroll in a single bound! Look! Up in the sky! It s a bird! It s a plane! It s Jermaine Wiggins!

RandyMoss8404 is offline Hall of Famer

Punters

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWgAayphx7Y
    "He s done it! Portugal is through!"

VikemanX84 is offline Hall of Famer

Punters

Well, the problem is, Bennett is old. And Eddie Johnson, while being shaky, simply has too much potential to release.

I say we keep him on a practice Squad member.
    When it s all said and done, you ll have to admit we re number 1!

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

Punters

It sounds like the coaches love the way Johnson is looking in mini camp so far. Like someone else said, he changed his mechanics a little and it has helped. Bennett will still almost assuridly be our punter next year, but if Johnson keeps improving, I bet we put him on the practice squad. Bennett isn't a young guy, so Johnson could eventually be our punter in the future.

Viking_Spirit is offline Star Spokesman

Punters

Eddie Johnson also supposedly had a very good training camp, I say keep him on to have some training camp competition.

Guns don t kill people. Chuck Norris kills people.

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

Punters

"Viking_Spirit" wrote:
    Eddie Johnson also supposedly had a very good training camp, I say keep him on to have some training camp competition.

Every team has 2 punters and 2 kickers well into the preseason. It is just a matter of, so we keep him on our practice squad again? I say yes, if he does continue to improve and look good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast