Johnson14 is offline Hall of Famer

Punt Return Job Looks Wide Open

Punt Return Job Looks Wide Open

This is one of the toughest battles coming out of camp.

Cam last year did a solid job but he is never going to break one, so i think he loses the job, maybe even a roster spot too.

The brief glimpses of returning i saw against the Titan's, Booker and Johnson both looked more than capable, the other's like Marcus Sherels really didn't show anything at all.

It is one of the more intriguing battles we have going on right now.

Re: Punt Return Job Looks Wide Open

I kind of like Booker. He's not a lightning bolt but he is very shifty and has pretty darn good vision if I do say so. I need to see a little more to make an educated assessment but I'm liking Booker at this point.
    I bet you could use a cool one huh Clark...Now you're talkin Eddie...

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

I hate how everyone's underestimating Marcus Sherels!

He has been underestimated his whole life because of his size, but I like him. He's a Minnesota native and he played at the University of Minnesota and worked his way on this team. He's small, but super fast. Might be one of the fastest guys on this team.

I see potential in him as a cornerback, but I also saw some potential in the return game last week. Don't know what you're talking about when you say he "really didn't show anything at all". I might remember wrong, but I think I saw him return one or two punts and he looked pretty good. Fast legs and feistiness, plus he looked comfortable catching the ball.

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

I wouldn't mind if Jaymar could finally fulfill the role we've been grooming him for, for the last few years. He has potential to be a decent KR/PR/Slot guy, but hasn't really lived up to it yet. It's this year or never for JJ imo, hopefully he can step up.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

In the end I don't think they will settle on just one guy my friends.

I think that it will eventually be JJ's but roster limitations and injuries make it almost a necessity to carry atleast 3 guys on the 53 man roster that can do the job.

My guess, ....

Primary - JJ (If Harvin goes down then they won't risk him)
    Secondary - Booker (We are deep at RB so an injury to him will hurt 3rd down situations but at that point you will probably have injuries all over)
    Tertiary - Asher Allen. Again, lots of depth at the DB spot. With Griff back at RCB and Cook possibly starting at LCB (Whinny plays nickle) Asher will have to do other things as well to crack the game day roster.

On a side note.......Loved these two nuggets from the article.

Im not sure how much its worth tracking which players are playing with the first-team, second-team and third-team, mostly because coaches are still experimenting with different combinations as they try to shape their position groups. So at the risk of jumping to conclusions, or causing you to jump to conclusions, heres how a few positions appear to be shaking out: Adrian Awasom (LDE) and Everson Griffen (RDE) are consistently with the second-team; Letroy Guion and Fred Evans are second-team DTs; rookie LB Ross Homan and veteran LB Mark Washington have been primarily with the second-team defense the past two days; Asher Allen and Chris Cook are the second-team CBs, but Sherels is rotated into the mix on occasion; Mistral Raymond and Jamarca Sanford are the second-team safeties and both have taken turns with the first-team; the second-team nickel features Burton and Devon Torrence at outside CB, Marcus Sherels in the slot, Jasper Brinkley and Ross Homan at LB and a rotation at safety among Chris Adingupu, Raymond and Sanford.

Rookie DeMarcus Love, a 4-year starter at the University of Arkansas in the talent-rich Southeastern Conference (SEC), seems to have established himself as the second-team LT
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Johnson14 is offline Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by "jessejames09" #1104748
    I wouldn't mind if Jaymar could finally fulfill the role we've been grooming him for, for the last few years. He has potential to be a decent KR/PR/Slot guy, but hasn't really lived up to it yet. It's this year or never for JJ imo, hopefully he can step up.
    +1, this HAS to be JJ's year if he is ever going to fulfill his potential and take the next step.