Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Props to Rob 'Poison Pill' Brzezinski

So does PP have the cap room to make another signing, or do you guys think we are done in FA this year?
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

shawn9876uss is offline Coordinator

Thanks ROB for the great job, especially with the cap, and how you get players to come. I hope we keep him for a long time. I read somewhere that you are going to be seeing a lot more poison pills with other teams to snag players.

Thanks PurpleMafia

ThaSuperFreak33 is offline Pro-Bowler

good job ROB

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I like the fact we were able to get a great player and not get hosed like we usually do lol, I just hope that this type of situation doesn't come back to bite us in the butt in the future with one of our top players.

Remember the golden rule:

"Do unto others, then split" :headbang:

Prophet Guest

This whole situation was more exciting than half the games last year.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Prophet" wrote:
    "LuckyVike" wrote:
    Hutch's agent, Tom Condon, is the one that thought of the poison pill.
    I like the ring of Rob 'Poison Pill' Brzezinski more than Tom 'Poison Pill' Condon, so I'll live in my fantasy world for the evening.

Guess I just love the gol 'darnit poison pill.
    Prophet,

According to this article, it says "Vikings inginuity pays off" not "Condon's inginuity pays off", but in another article it states it was inserted by the Vikings and his agent, Tom Condon.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Posted on Wed, Mar. 22, 2006

[size=18px]Vikings' ingenuity pays off[/size]

BY DON SEEHOLZER
    Pioneer Press

The creative offer sheet the Vikings used to pry all-pro guard Steve Hutchinson away from Seattle could lead to changes in the NFL rules regarding transition free agents, but neither the team nor the player saw any need to apologize Tuesday.

"I wasn't really anticipating it to be as big of a controversy," Hutchinson said of the so-called poison-pill clause that would have required the Seahawks to guarantee his entire seven-year, $49 million contract if he wasn't the team's highest-paid offensive lineman this season. "I knew about the clause. I knew it would be hard for Seattle to match. I did what I thought was best for me and my family."

Vikings vice president of football operations Rob Brzezinski didn't want to discuss the guarantee clause, but he said he felt confident an NFL special master would rule in the team's favor Monday.

"We felt pretty good that we were going to be able to get the player," Brzezinski said. "We have a lot of respect for Seattle and their organization, and this wasn't meant to be antagonistic or anything like that. It's just business."

Hutchinson thanked the Seahawks for five great seasons and said he left with no hard feelings toward anyone in the organization, including offensive tackle Walter Jones, who allowed Seattle to rework his contract in an attempt to get around the guarantee clause.

"I wanted to have a contract extension done before last season," Hutchinson said. "Certainly, before the tag deadline. The Seahawks were either unwilling or unwanting to give me that contract, and Minnesota stepped up to the plate and offered it."

Hutchinson, who will start at left guard for the Vikings, said he is excited to be joining the team and coach Brad Childress, and hopes to be out by the middle of next week.

"Obviously, we'll be excited to have him, and we wanted him for a reason," Childress said. "He will give us not only good football play, but he'll give us great temperament and great toughness, I think, in the offensive line. That's somewhere you need to always have that."

Seahawk payback? Outmaneuvered for Hutchinson, there is speculation Seattle is preparing an offer sheet for Vikings wide receiver Nate Burleson, a restricted free agent.

Burleson's agent, Ken Sarnoff, said he had nothing to report, but the three-year veteran grew up in Seattle and visited the Seahawks last week.
    The Vikings would have the right to match any offer to Burleson or receive compensation of a third-round draft choice.

Fowler gone; Cowart next? Center Melvin Fowler agreed to a three-year, $7.2 million contract with Buffalo that includes $3 million in guarantees. Fowler appeared in 11 games for the Vikings in 2005, starting nine.

Middle linebacker Sam Cowart has an offer from Houston, but agent Paul Healy said the eight-year veteran is in no rush to make a decision. Healy said Cowart has had conversations with Washington and has some possible visits coming up but would prefer to remain with the Vikings.

Team player: Running back Mewelde Moore isn't among the 50-some players participating in the team's offseason program this week, but he has a good excuse. He's getting married this weekend.

"He's coming back and he's going to be in the program on Monday," Childress said. "He's not taking a honeymoon. I said, 'Your wife must be a tremendous woman.' "

Moore is scheduled to have a pin removed from his surgically repaired right wrist today and isn't expected to participate in the April 7-9 minicamp.
    Briefly: As part of their Winter Park renovation, the Vikings are moving the media work room to an office building across the street from their indoor practice facility. The former media center is being converted into office space.

• Kicker Paul Edinger was in New England for a visit.

Don Seeholzer can be reached at [email protected]

Vikings' ingenuity pays off

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Prophet Guest

In this case I'll use the fan moniker and go with Rob 'PP' Brzezinski. Why ruin a good story with the truth? lol. He is the man.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Prophet" wrote:
    In this case I'll use the fan moniker and go with Rob 'PP' Brzezinski. Why ruin a good story with the truth? lol. He is the man.
    Besides, "You've been Rob'ed" has a better ring to it than "You've been Condon'ed". :grin:

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

JellyBean2144 is offline Pro-Bowler

Oh, heck yeah. talk about a smart move, this was it. I wonder if other teams might try this approach.

seaniemck7 is offline Hall of Famer

Prophet,

According to this article, it says "Vikings inginuity pays off" not "Condon's inginuity pays off", but in another article it states it was inserted by the Vikings and his agent, Tom Condon.
    For the Poison Pill to be valid and considered a "Principal Term" in the Offer Sheet/Contract, there is language in the CBA that states that such a request has to come from the player or agent. Therefore Condon at some point had to come out and say it was their idea.

MHO is that Rob B came up with the Poison Pill and Condon gave him all the info he needed to write it so that it would stick e.g. being the highest payed OLineman on the team from the time he signed the offer sheet until the end of the year.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast