singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Projecting the Vikings' 53-Man Roster: Tight Ends

[size=13pt]Projecting the Vikings' 53-Man Roster: Tight Ends[/size]

by Gonzo on Jun 2, 2008 7:42 PM CDT
    dailynorseman.com

Here's what the Vikings' TE group currently looks like:

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Projecting the Vikings' 53-Man Roster: Tight Ends

Probably the first one of his I have real heartburn with.......

Typically (not alof of past history to go on) this staff likes to keep 4 TE's.
    I see the following making the team......

87 Jones, Braden TE 6'3" 260 4/20/1983 1
    40 Kleinsasser, Jimmy TE 6'3" 272 1/31/1977 10

45 Mills, Garrett TE 6'1" 235 10/12/1983 3

81 Shiancoe, Visanthe TE 6'4" 250 6/18/1980 6

a.
    If the staff is gonna save a roster spot for an extra WR or a OL this is the group that will lose out on a position.
    b.
    Because the organization likes TE/FB's that can act in a H-back role we have alot of versatility here with respect to how many FB's/TE's can be carried.
    c.
    Mills make the roster but I believe he will line up as a H-back because of his size more than he does on the line.
    d.
    Regardless of what the author and most on here think about Shanc he will make the roster.

If for some reason they do want to use one of these roster spots for a WR or OL, I believe the two possible candidates might be either Brandon or Jimmy T.

I know alot of you will be upset with that but look at the bigger picture here.
    He has 10 years of wear on his body, we are in a CAP semi-crisis next year when we start to look at signing some key Vets on the team.

As for Brandon, he might be practice squad fodder again this year (I don't know if that is feasable or not) allowing Jimmy to stay one more year.

Long story short, the staff typically keeps 4 TE's.
    If they don't sacrifice a roster spot Jimmy T stays another year to help out in blocking schemes.
    If they don't he could be gone as Brandon is amost as big and could fill the bill (with alot less experience).

Marrdro stands by for all the Jimmy T supporters to slash him to bits for mentioning his name and cut in the same sentence.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Marrdro" wrote:

a.
    If the staff is gonna save a roster spot for an extra WR or a OL this is the group that will lose out on a position.
    b.
    Because the organization likes TE/FB's that can act in a H-back role we have alot of versatility here with respect to how many FB's/TE's can be carried.
    c.
    Mills make the roster but I believe he will line up as a H-back because of his size more than he does on the line.
    d.
    Regardless of what the author and most on here think about Shanc he will make the roster.

If for some reason they do want to use one of these roster spots for a WR or OL, I believe the two possible candidates might be either Brandon or Jimmy T.

He has 10 years of wear on his body, we are in a CAP semi-crisis next year when we start to look at signing some key Vets on the team.

As for Brandon, he might be practice squad fodder again this year (I don't know if that is feasable or not) allowing Jimmy to stay one more year.

If they don't sacrifice a roster spot Jimmy T stays another year to help out in blocking schemes.
    If they don't he could be gone as Brandon is amost as big and could fill the bill (with alot less experience).

Marrdro stands by for all the Jimmy T supporters to slash him to bits for mentioning his name and cut in the same sentence.
    ;D
    ??? Jimmy T?
    :-

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

a.
    b.
    c.
    d.

;D
    ??? Jimmy T?
    :-\
    OOOPs, Jimmy K.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

Keeping 4 TEs, especially when you have a fifth listed as an FB, is a waste of a roster spot.

I really don't know what is so hard about the TE position. Sauce, Shank, and Mills will all be on the team, and Jones will either be practice squad or cut.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

Very surprising that he thinks Shank will not be on this team. I think he gets this year to improve his game. If not I would like to see us somehow snag Travis Beckum in the draft.

seaniemck7 is offline Hall of Famer

No way does Shank get cut. Talking about reception production as a measure of Shank's worth does not take into account how our TEs were used last year: primarily as blockers.
    I usually like Gonzo's opinions, but if it comes down to Sauce or Shank, Shank makes the team.

For one, i believe Gonzo underestimates Shanks blocking ability, two he is easily "NoDak" biased towards Sauce , and three, (most importantly) Shank was brought in under this regime. I don't think Shank goes anywhere.

Assuming Dugan (Sauce Jr.) is on the team as FB, and assuming they carry 2 TEs, I think Shank and Mills make the team.
    If they go with three TEs, Sauce, Shank and Mills make the 53 man roster IMHO.

dcboardr41 is offline Team Alumni

"Marrdro" wrote:

a.
    b.
    c.
    d.

;D
    i didnt know bernard berrian played TE lol

ok, Braden Jones cannot make the team over another OL or WR or even LB, id rather see one of our undrafted rookie FAs make the team over him

Pissing on the Pack since 08'