Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

ProFootball Weekly: LB's & Jeremiah Trottier

Get Trotter or Gildon, you can never have too many good players.

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

Re: ProFootball Weekly: LB's & Jeremiah Trottier

"eelpout72" wrote:

From:http://<font color="blue">http://www...fcnorth</font>

There are some team observers who strongly question the Vikings’ decision to release veteran LB Henri Crockett, who started at strong-side linebacker in 2003. Crockett was let go after Chris Claiborne moved to the SLB spot and the Vikings drafted Dontarrious Thomas in the second round of the April draft. Yet insiders say Claiborne’s heel injury, which limited him in December, remains an issue. If Claiborne ends up missing time during the season, the Vikings, who struck out with multiple free-agent linebackers in the offseason, would most likely use a starting trio of Thomas at the SLB spot with MLB E.J. Henderson and WLB Mike Nattiel — that troika has a combined total of zero career starts. We hear the Vikings are interested in Redskins ILB Jeremiah Trotter, who is expected to be released in June and has the size and speed to play outside linebacker.

hmmm... Jeremiah Trottier, huh? I wonder if there is any truth to this or if its just an unfounded rumor. I know that Redskins werent too happy with him but seem to recall that he was quite good w/philly. With our youth at LB, perhaps he would be a nice addition. Do you guys/gals know anything about him? Is he a head case? Washed up? Will he cost too much $$?

Trotter is a solid LB, who would definately be an upgrade from crockett. I don't agree that he is quick enough to be an outside LB though. I am a phily fan also, and got to watch him play for them. Maybe i am wrong about his speed though. I like him as an inside guy in the 3-4, but I don't think that is why we would be signing him. Would be a good group of 4 if claiborne was healthy though. I don't think he would want to come here to sit on the bench and only play if claiborne is hurt. He will also probably want a decent sized contract, one too big for a guy who won't start unless an injury occurs. We do need a vet at LB though, and I wouldn't mind getting him. He isn't washed up at all, washington just wasn't a good fit for him. Gildon is another good vet LB, that would be seem to be a better fit on the strong side, if claiborne is hurt. He is 31 and almost 32, so he might not cost nearly as much. I like him more than trotter, but I wouldn't mind either. Is there any other LB's that are expected to be released? Maybe we should look for a less known vet, who won't mind being on the bench, and teaching our young guys, and also wouldn't cost as much. I heard that we were gonna use a lot of our cap space on udeze's signing bonus. We want to pay it all this year, so we won't have to in the rest of the contract. I believe we did the same with winfield's. I wonder if we are gonna look for a vet CB? We are kind of young and thin at CB as well and could use a vet.

vikeroo is offline Training Camp

Whats all this talk of 3-4 defense? Vikes have Williams and Hovan for DT's & drafted 2 DE's to go along with Rogers & Johnstone at DE... Gildon is a 3-4 pass rushing LB, I do not know where he would fit in a 3-4 defense... Trotter could play Mike or Sam in the Vikings defense I believe, he is big, but has always been able to cover TE's a little... Good pass rusher from the Mike slot when he was in Philly also... Vikings finally have a nice young stable of DL's and everyone is talking about 3-4, I hate the 3-4 defense... I guess Rogers could move back to OLB in a 3-4, but man what a waste of talented DL's IMHO!!!

"vikeroo" wrote:
    Whats all this talk of 3-4 defense? Vikes have Williams and Hovan for DT's & drafted 2 DE's to go along with Rogers & Johnstone at DE... Gildon is a 3-4 pass rushing LB, I do not know where he would fit in a 3-4 defense... Trotter could play Mike or Sam in the Vikings defense I believe, he is big, but has always been able to cover TE's a little... Good pass rusher from the Mike slot when he was in Philly also... Vikings finally have a nice young stable of DL's and everyone is talking about 3-4, I hate the 3-4 defense... I guess Rogers could move back to OLB in a 3-4, but man what a waste of talented DL's IMHO!!!

We talk about the 3-4, because ted cotrell has said he wants to use it at different times of a game. Remember though, at this same time last year, we were talking about using some 3-4, and we barely used it last year, so who knows. Neither hovan nor williams would fit in really well at DT in the 3-4, except for on passing downs. Also just because Gildon played in the 3-4 at pitt, doesn't mean he can't play in a 4-3 here. I just think he might be a better bargain than trotter. I like either guy though and realize we need some one with experience at LB, especially when I keep hearing bad things about claiborne's recovery. I have still heard nothing about looking for a vet CB and this worries me. If winfield or brian williams gets hurt, we are gonna be in serious trouble.

if we were going to use a 3-4 this year, don't you think we would have drafted wilfork instead of udeze? the 3-4 isn't going to happen. we are built for the 4-3, straight up. i'd be happy with gildon or trotter comming in. if claiborne is healthy, put d.t. on the bench and learn for a season. i would be extatic.
    "ted nugent called. he wants his shirt back."-george clooney, ocean s eleven

"muchluv4moss" wrote:
    I have still heard nothing about looking for a vet CB and this worries me. If winfield or brian williams gets hurt, we are gonna be in serious trouble.
    I think Irvin is an okay stop gap starter. I don't think we're likely to find much better talent that hasn't been scooped up already, unless the Packers release McKenzie, and he's probably not willing to settle for being a backup.
    Faster than a speeding Grady Jackson! More powerful than a Nick Barnett! Able to leap Ahmad Carroll in a single bound! Look! Up in the sky! It s a bird! It s a plane! It s Jermaine Wiggins!

"amavikesfan" wrote:
    if we were going to use a 3-4 this year, don't you think we would have drafted wilfork instead of udeze? the 3-4 isn't going to happen. we are built for the 4-3, straight up. i'd be happy with gildon or trotter comming in. if claiborne is healthy, put d.t. on the bench and learn for a season. i would be extatic.

I am sorry, but I think the 3-4 is gonna happen, according to cottrell. No one is saying we are gonna be a base 3-4 defense, and that would be the only reason we would have wanted to draft wilfork. Yes, we are gonna be using the 4-3 more than the 3-4, but we are gonna use the 3-4 some, and probably more than last year. I bet we use it mostly on passing downs. Then we can use Hovan as the pass rushing DT, Udeze and kevin williams as the DE's. If we used it on 1st down, we would probably have steve martin in as a NT, but that would be putting one of our top 3 lineman on the bench.

As far as the LB corp goes, I think we are looking at a strong side LB(might be wrong). I think we are happy with our 2 weak side guys, even though they are both young. I think we are worried about claiborne being injured again, and having to start nattiel at strong side, with EJ and dontarrious. I personally want to see dontarrious on the field, because he is an absolute stud LB. Even the guys at the packers site, are talking about how good he is gonna be. I just want a veteran to be playing strong side, and right now, it isn't looking great for claiborne's health, even though it is very early.

"JimFlyinsaucer" wrote:
    "muchluv4moss" wrote:
    I have still heard nothing about looking for a vet CB and this worries me. If winfield or brian williams gets hurt, we are gonna be in serious trouble.
    I think Irvin is an okay stop gap starter. I don't think we're likely to find much better talent that hasn't been scooped up already, unless the Packers release McKenzie, and he's probably not willing to settle for being a backup.

I like Irvin and what he did for us last year, but if we lost winfield, we would be worse off than we were last year at CB. I know there isn't gonna be good Cb's out there, to play nickel for us, but i would like to see us get a vet to play dime.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12