Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Producing a Gameplan Takes Months of Work

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8192b29f/article/producing-a-game-plan-takes-into-account-months-of-work

Next, a coach will sit down with his quarterback and go over the full menu of possible plays. The quarterback provides his input -- which plays he's most confident in, which plays he hates running, and which plays he feels his teammates might not be ready to run.
    Hmmm... Odd, coulda swore Marty said that Favre doesn't gameplan or run the offense, that coaches coach, and players do what coaches tell them to do. What does this yutz know?

You better believe Brad Childress' plan for 2009 changed once the possibility of acquiring Brett Favre first became real.

Texas Viking is offline Starter

Re:Producing a Gameplan Takes Months of Work

I always felt a QB is like a coach, basically a year-around job. If you believe a QB is a Field General, no General can take months off from a war and expect to waltz in and be fully successful in running the troops. Thatís one reason I hate that Brett Farvre doesnít commit to the Vikings earlier in the year, so much time is wasted where he should be going over the upcoming game plan with Childress. Sure, we all seen how Farvre has the ability to come out of nowhere and run a successful season, but Iíd feel a lot more comfortable if he was a little more committed to preparing during pre-season rather than relying on his skill and luck to pull off wins.

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

i_bleed_purple wrote:
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8192b29f/article/producing-a-game-plan-takes-into-account-months-of-work

Next, a coach will sit down with his quarterback and go over the full menu of possible plays. The quarterback provides his input -- which plays he's most confident in, which plays he hates running, and which plays he feels his teammates might not be ready to run.
    Hmmm... Odd, coulda swore Marty said that Favre doesn't gameplan or run the offense, that coaches coach, and players do what coaches tell them to do. What does this yutz know?

You better believe Brad Childress' plan for 2009 changed once the possibility of acquiring Brett Favre first became real.

Reread it again.

In short, the Ocoord and his staff studied the film, came up with the plays (game plan) that will exploit those weaknesses they (not the QB) identified in that film study and then they go over them with the players prior to putting them in on Weds practice.

Show me were I have said anything otherwise?

You on the other hand have contended that the Noodle gameplans. He doesn't. He just tells them which plays in the gameplan he is comfortable with.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Texas Viking wrote:
    I always felt a QB is like a coach, basically a year-around job. If you believe a QB is a Field General, no General can take months off from a war and expect to waltz in and be fully successful in running the troops. Thatís one reason I hate that Brett Farvre doesnít commit to the Vikings earlier in the year, so much time is wasted where he should be going over the upcoming game plan with Childress. Sure, we all seen how Farvre has the ability to come out of nowhere and run a successful season, but Iíd feel a lot more comfortable if he was a little more committed to preparing during pre-season rather than relying on his skill and luck to pull off wins.
    I almost agree with you, only cause I don't like the Noodle and never want to give him much credit for anything, however, in this instance, what he brings is the ability to be "Comfortable" with almost any play put into the game plan that the staff wants to put into the game plan.

Kindof tracks with the cliche of "Opening the playbook up" cause that is in fact what they are doing.

Again, because he is more comfortable with almost all plays that could be run, as apposed to TJ who probably isn't as open to all of them, there isn't the huge issue with respect to going over the gameplan for each and every week that you would expect to see with younger, less experienced QB's.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

After replying, I actually read the article. What a great find my friend, especially the parts about what happens before the coach sits down with the QB that is centered on preparing for next weeks apponent.

Heading into the last week of the preseason, it's time to develop the game plan for Week 1 of the regular season. A coach might look at his opponent and see, for example, that he's going to face a 4-3 defense. The first thing he does is scour the playbook for plays he thinks will work against a 4-3; suddenly, his options have been roughly cut in half.

He next considers his own roster. Let's imagine he has two rookies in the starting lineup and three veteran free agents who are still learning his system. As a result, he culls the playbook further, settling down to about 100 plays -- only he can't practice 100 plays in the week leading up to a game. There's only enough time for four or five repetitions, including practice and walkthroughs, for each of about 40 plays. That's it. Those 40 plays he's been able to practice are the core of the game plan.

Buy the book Some coaches might disagree with that number. Guys coaching a West Coast offense will tell you they have 250 plays in their game plan every week. Technically, that's true, if they count all the various formations out of which they can run the same play. If they run a particular play out of an I-formation, with a single back, a split, or maybe even an empty backfield, they might consider that four different plays.
    Hmmmmmmmm, pretty close to what I've always contended now isn't it? B)

Bump......WTF? No one want to talk about this? Were are all the "Noodle is gameplanning" crowd, including the originator of this thread?

LOL B)

bsmithberkley is offline Pro-Bowler

Marrdro wrote:
    Bump......WTF? No one want to talk about this? Were are all the "Noodle is gameplanning" crowd, including the originator of this thread?

LOL B)
    Okay, I'll bite.

In reality it's a group effort...and yes, Brett is involved and if you don't think that the coaches pay attention when his eyes "light up" and he get's excited about running a play he thinks will be successful you are fooling yourself. He probably doesn't pull the "Book" of the shelf on Monday and start eliminating plays, but, I am sure they take note of every suggestion Brett makes throughout the week as he watches game film and prepares for that opponent.

As far as the pre-season development and installation of new plays go, what do you think Chilly went down to Mississippi for?

My favorite part of the article was this:

"It needs to be smart, and it needs to generate matchup advantages against a particular opponent. That is the name of the game in the NFL -- matchups."

And who needs to be most comfortable with the match-up advantages they create?...Brett Favre!
    None

bsmithberkley wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:

LOL B)
    Okay, I'll bite.

In reality it's a group effort...and yes, Brett is involved and if you don't think that the coaches pay attention when his eyes "light up" and he get's excited about running a play he thinks will be successful you are fooling yourself. He probably doesn't pull the "Book" of the shelf on Monday and start eliminating plays, but, I am sure they take note of every suggestion Brett makes throughout the week as he watches game film and prepares for that opponent.

As far as the pre-season development and installation of new plays go, what do you think Chilly went down to Mississippi for?

"It needs to be smart, and it needs to generate matchup advantages against a particular opponent. That is the name of the game in the NFL -- matchups."

And who needs to be most comfortable with the match-up advantages they create?...Brett Favre!
    Of course its a team effort, but parts of the team (i.e. the QB) doesn't get to participate until after the game plan has been developed......

Heading into the last week of the preseason, it's time to develop the game plan for Week 1 of the regular season. A coach might look at his opponent and see, for example, that he's going to face a 4-3 defense. The first thing he does is scour the playbook for plays he thinks will work against a 4-3; suddenly, his options have been roughly cut in half.

He next considers his own roster. Let's imagine he has two rookies in the starting lineup and three veteran free agents who are still learning his system. As a result, he culls the playbook further, settling down to about 100 plays -- only he can't practice 100 plays in the week leading up to a game. There's only enough time for four or five repetitions, including practice and walkthroughs, for each of about 40 plays. That's it. Those 40 plays he's been able to practice are the core of the game plan
    Hours and hours of film study (by the coaching staff) goes into what plays can exploit those matchups. After that has been done (by the coaches) the QB then gets to say what plays he is comfortable in running out of the game plan.

Most on here want to try to convince us that the Noodle is out there gameplanning, when in fact, he isn't. He only gets to vote on what plays he is most comfortable with.

By the way, that, in now way, stops Bevell from calling one he isn't comfortable with.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

Marrdro wrote:
    bsmithberkley wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:

LOL B)
    Okay, I'll bite.

Of course its a team effort, but parts of the team (i.e. the QB) doesn't get to participate until after the game plan has been developed......

He next considers his own roster. Let's imagine he has two rookies in the starting lineup and three veteran free agents who are still learning his system. As a result, he culls the playbook further, settling down to about 100 plays -- only he can't practice 100 plays in the week leading up to a game. There's only enough time for four or five repetitions, including practice and walkthroughs, for each of about 40 plays. That's it. Those 40 plays he's been able to practice are the core of the game plan
    Hours and hours of film study (by the coaching staff) goes into what plays can exploit those matchups. After that has been done (by the coaches) the QB then gets to say what plays he is comfortable in running out of the game plan.

Most on here want to try to convince us that the Noodle is out there gameplanning, when in fact, he isn't. He only gets to vote on what plays he is most comfortable with.

By the way, that, in now way, stops Bevell from calling one he isn't comfortable with.
    C'mon...we all know how the Offensive game plan is created.

1: Chiller and Bevell go to Denny's or Perkin's late on Saturday night.

2: Chiller let's Bevell use all 3 of the complimentary crayons while he (Bevell) colors in the kids menu placemat.

3: Once Bevell has completed all of the puizzles and games and colored all of the pictures in, they ask the waitress to confirm he has all of the correct answers.

4: If he does, they dub it "The Game Plan" and laminate it (That's what you see Chiller looking at all game long).

5: On Sunday, Favre simply calls whatever he wants...Chiller and Bevell are busy using the team radio to play "I Spy" with the crowd.

And THAT is how the game plan is created....

...group effort my ass.

Caine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast