Hitstick31 is offline Rookie

PROBLEMS AS I SEE IT

Its very frustrating to see the team with THE BEST TALENT in all of football playing so pathetic. You know why? Because we have the stupidest coaching staff in the nfl. Hopefully Wilf will fire Tice and Cotrell and we could possibly get someone good(DONT KNOW WHO BUT ANYONES BETTER THAN THESE TWO).

There is no way Daunte Culpepper and his ultra talented receiving and runningback core shouldnt be scoring 30 a game. You know whats the problem? Daunte isnt comfortable with the system because he doesnt have a real coach guiding him like Linehan did these past 3 years. WE NEED AN OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR. These plays are just pathetic and its based on Randy Moss, something we dont have anymore. WE definitely need a new system because we are DEFINITELY PACKED AT RECEIVER.I think Melvin Fowler will replace Withrow and hopefully Marcus Johnson will grow into his own and we'll be set there.

Defensively, We have everything except for MLB. SAM Cowart can't run and these days, you NEED fast linebackers to have a good defense. WE should move EJ to the Middle and have DT and NAPO start outside. And why the hell didnt Erasmus start Sunday. We were playing the fastest qb in the nfl and had no sense of contain. Hopefully, metal head ted will realize by chicago that we should stop putting in Defensive tackles in at Defensive End. Also, get Raonall Smith on the field. This kid ran a 4.3 back at his combine and is a great leaper. NO EXCUSE NOT TO INCLUDE HIM. Our secondary will be just fine after Sharper comes back because you know Chavous is JUST HORRIBLE. So sad that Willie Offord, a true Strong Safety is gone for the season. With this talent, there is no reason not to allow only 16 points a game. Ted needs to stop making our great cb's play prevent and start pressing their wide receivers. WE NEED TO ALSO BLITZ MORE. of our 3 linebackers and 2 safetys, atleast 2 guys need to be coming on every play.

WE Can do this, WE CAN DEFINITELY DO THIS, but we NEED REAL COACHES. Talent doesnt mean crap if you dont have coaches who know how and where to use it. Dont get me wrong, I love the VIkes and think they can easily win this division by the talent we have, but if TICE is still coaching like TICE, we will be picking in the top 10 of the nfl draft next year.

umaguma1979 is offline Asst. Coach

Re: PROBLEMS AS I SEE IT

You are right......the coaching staff really needs to step up and think outside the box.

Tice & Cottrell both have "systems" or "schemes" - and are trying to adapt the 2005 Viking players to these molds. The coaches need to adapt to their players and level of talent in place. Schemes need to be built around the strength of players, not what a coach thinks is a foolproof system.

There is talent on this team - but its up to the coaching staff to maximize this factor.

Cover 2 defense

I know it will never occur during mid season and is stupid to think of it, but I wouldnt mind seein the vikings in a cover 2 next year. We will have speed off the edge with udeze and james, and johnstone and newman can spell these guys like robert mathis does for dwight freeney. WE can move darion scott inside along with Spencer Johson. The only problem is big Pat Williams. He'll be 34 so it'll probably be a good time to let him go. We will have great speed with Dontarrious Thomas, NAPO, EJ and Raonall at our linebackers and can pick up an undersize special teams/speedy linebacker for our nickel and dime packages. We will have a great time with Smoot, Sharper, Winfield and Offord back there along with B Will and Ralph Brown providing good depth. We can also draft a new fs and have Sharper mentor him to become the new fs of the team in 2-3 years. It may sound stupid, but overall i like the cover 2 and if we get rid of cotrell and get donnie henderson( Jets D runs cover 2) or monte kiffin as our head coach, I think we'd fit right in with the top defenses in the league. After all, Tampa, The Jets, Chicago, Indy and the Rams all run cover 2 defenses and overall they are great with turnovers and total scoring, something that our team needs from our defense. Plus theyre doing it with so much less talent than we have. Now just imagine if we had a defensive coordinator and how SICK WE WOULD BE!!! Just a thought....

DarrinNelsonguy is offline Team Alumni

Re: Cover 2 defense

The cover 2 is a great scheme but you need a good pass rush to make it work or they can sit back there and pick you apart no matter what coverage you use. We have guys with potential to get pressure on the QB and get sacks but we have yet to see very consistant results.
    "Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn t work hard."

Yeah dude, Erasmus and Kenechi along with Johnstone and Newman are all great pass rushers, its just that cotrells schemes and injuries are retarding their abilities.

"Hitstick31" wrote:
    Yeah dude, Erasmus and Kenechi along with Johnstone and Newman are all great pass rushers, its just that cotrells schemes and injuries are retarding their abilities.
    It is not just the schemes they need to finish the play when they get to the QB. More times than not they get to the QB and miss the tackle or something like that. They have talent they just need to improve tackling and produce on a consistant basis.

Our talent vs other teams talents

Look guys, it doesnt matter how many freaking great players we get! They wont be able to showcase them with these kind of coaches they have.

Look at our defense compared to the Colts or Chicagos or Tampa Bays,

MIN
    Sharper Chavous Winfield Smoot Harris Henderson Thomas Udeze P Will K Will Erasmus

Tampa
    Will Smith Jermaine Phillips Ronde Barber Brian Kelly Ryan Nece Shelton Quarles Derrick Brooks Simeon Rice Anthony Mcfarland Chris Hovan Dwayne White

Comparsions: Our Db's and linebackers have much more talent than they do and our d lines have about equal talent. But why is it that we can't shut down like they can? Simple, Monte Kiffin is 1000000000X BETTER THAN COTRELL

Look At Indys D:
    Marlin Jackson Bob Sanders Mike Doss Nick Harper Gary Brackett Cato June David Thorton Dwight Freeney Corey Simon Monte Reagor Raheem Brock

WE ARE SO MUCH MORE TALENTED THAN THESE GUYS!!! All they have on us are Defensive Ends, but why is there no name secondary doing so well?? Simple, Tony Dungys schemes are alot better than Cotrells

Now look at Chicago
    Mike Brown Chris Harris Charles Tillman Jerry Azumah Hunter Hillenmeyer Lance Briggs Brian Urlacher Tommie Harris Ogunleye Alex Brown Ian Scott.

I don't see where they are more talented than us at except for MLB, but they have LOVIE SMITH AND RON RIVERA, yes they have coaches and coaches teach players how to play and excecute and RUN TO THE BALL LIKE A PACK OF BEES. They are great because THEY PLAY AS 11, not 4 or 5, because they have PRIDE AND DISCIPLINE and they KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON IN THE GAME, BECAUSE THEY ARE AGRESSIVE AND BLITZ, not play prevent and have defensive tackles rushing at ends when versing the fastest qb in the NFL.

I HOPE YOU GUYS GET WHAT IM SAYIN, AND I WANT TO SAY IT AGAIN AND AGAIN!!!

Talent doesn't mean crap unless you have a scheme or a plan, and that is the coaches fault for not figuring something OUT!!!

Re: Our talent vs other teams talents

"Hitstick31" wrote:
    Look guys, it doesnt matter how many freaking great players we get! They wont be able to showcase them with these kind of coaches they have.

MIN
    Sharper Chavous Winfield Smoot Harris Henderson Thomas Udeze P Will K Will Erasmus

Tampa
    Will Smith Jermaine Phillips Ronde Barber Brian Kelly Ryan Nece Shelton Quarles Derrick Brooks Simeon Rice Anthony Mcfarland Chris Hovan Dwayne White

Comparsions: Our Db's and linebackers have much more talent than they do and our d lines have about equal talent. But why is it that we can't shut down like they can? Simple, Monte Kiffin is 1000000000X BETTER THAN COTRELL

Look At Indys D:
    Marlin Jackson Bob Sanders Mike Doss Nick Harper Gary Brackett Cato June David Thorton Dwight Freeney Corey Simon Monte Reagor Raheem Brock

WE ARE SO MUCH MORE TALENTED THAN THESE GUYS!!! All they have on us are Defensive Ends, but why is there no name secondary doing so well?? Simple, Tony Dungys schemes are alot better than Cotrells

Now look at Chicago
    Mike Brown Chris Harris Charles Tillman Jerry Azumah Hunter Hillenmeyer Lance Briggs Brian Urlacher Tommie Harris Ogunleye Alex Brown Ian Scott.

I don't see where they are more talented than us at except for MLB, but they have LOVIE SMITH AND RON RIVERA, yes they have coaches and coaches teach players how to play and excecute and RUN TO THE BALL LIKE A PACK OF BEES. They are great because THEY PLAY AS 11, not 4 or 5, because they have PRIDE AND DISCIPLINE and they KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON IN THE GAME, BECAUSE THEY ARE AGRESSIVE AND BLITZ, not play prevent and have defensive tackles rushing at ends when versing the fastest qb in the NFL.

Talent doesn't mean crap unless you have a scheme or a plan, and that is the coaches fault for not figuring something OUT!!!
    Amen man we go into each week out schemed and at a HUGE diadvantage due to the coaching staff and there lack of compentency.

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

Re: PROBLEMS AS I SEE IT

Bam whata good post! HitStick your puttin up some bad a$$ posts...I couldnt agree more...we have all the talent in the world...but its not being used right. Its like owning a farrari and driving 20 MPH. I kno ,I kno patriot comparisins get old...but I mean the pats went from nobodys to champions cuz they had excellent coaches in every field. We need better coaching I couldnt agree more...Hopefully ziggy realizes this just as much as we do....

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

Re: Our talent vs other teams talents

"Hitstick31" wrote:

MIN

Tampa

Look At Indys D:

Now look at Chicago

I remember when Tice first came in when Denny stepped down for one game. It was pretty funny. Then he got signed to head coach and I soiled my shorts. Then he didn't get fired after 03. Then he didn't get fired after 04. I think he's a master of hypnotism; how else did he fool these people into thinking he was a head coach?
    Hopefully Wilf gets someone in there.