Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Pro Football Weekly poll on Vikings running backs

"midgensa" wrote:
    Bennett will still be the feature back in this offense if he is healthy, which means there is no room for Onterrio Smith at this point.
    I agree, Tice is and always has been really sold on Bennett.

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

"midgensa" wrote:
    Bennett will still be the feature back in this offense if he is healthy, which means there is no room for Onterrio Smith at this point.

I'm not sold on bennett staying healthy and on him being the feature back. Tice wants a RB he can give the ball to 25-30 times a game, and that really isn't bennett. Yes I do see tcie wanting to give bennett another shot, but when it comes time to playing the games, then I see him eventually working fason and MM in there and one of them will overtake bennett as the feature back eventually. I do see bennett starting the season as the #1 guy and feature, but I don't think he will be there at the end of the season.

"ltrey33" wrote:
    "midgensa" wrote:

But do you notice that bennett is always on the bench in the 4th quarter, on the big drives?

I think Tice wants bennett to be that feature back, because of his explosiveness, but then he plays him a little and sees that we have better backs on the bench.

PurplePackerEater is offline Ring of Fame

"muchluv4smoot" wrote:
    "ltrey33" wrote:
    "midgensa" wrote:

But do you notice that bennett is always on the bench in the 4th quarter, on the big drives?

I think Tice wants bennett to be that feature back, because of his explosiveness, but then he plays him a little and sees that we have better backs on the bench.
    Bennett is not a "pounder" he's a "home run hitter". I think that is why we don't see him in the fourth.

"PurplePackerEater" wrote:
    "muchluv4smoot" wrote:
    "ltrey33" wrote:
    "midgensa" wrote:

Bennett is not a "pounder" he's a "home run hitter". I think that is why we don't see him in the fourth.

It wasn't in situations where we were trying to run the clock out though and where we had the lead. It was when we were trailing, which is different.

What I should have said was, bennett usually starts when he is healthy, but was always quickly on the bench for another RB.

The GB game is the only game I can remember, where we stuck with bennett from start to finish.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

I am gonna take a wait-and-see attitude on this topic...the cream will rise to the top once training camp starts. Expect a possible trade once the season starts and another team's #1 back goes down...we will get something for one of our guys if we decide to trade one of them, it just needs to be done when some other team is desperate enough to give us something for something else that they need bad enough. Right now, no teams NEED a RB...but once the season starts, look out...remember Miami's situation last year...they were willing to give up alot for Bennett...something will happen this year as well!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

"cajunvike" wrote:
    I am gonna take a wait-and-see attitude on this topic...the cream will rise to the top once training camp starts. Expect a possible trade once the season starts and another team's #1 back goes down...we will get something for one of our guys if we decide to trade one of them, it just needs to be done when some other team is desperate enough to give us something for something else that they need bad enough. Right now, no teams NEED a RB...but once the season starts, look out...remember Miami's situation last year...they were willing to give up alot for Bennett...something will happen this year as well!

I have heard that MM is actually getting most of the attention from other teams interested in trading for one of our backs. I hope we aren't stupid enough to give him up. We have bennett, onterrio, and moe all in the last year of their contracts, so MM and fason both obvioulsy need to stay. That plus the fact that they are the 2 best backs we have IMO.

PurplePackerEater is offline Ring of Fame

"muchluv4smoot" wrote:
    "PurplePackerEater" wrote:
    "muchluv4smoot" wrote:
    "ltrey33" wrote:
    "midgensa" wrote:

It wasn't in situations where we were trying to run the clock out though and where we had the lead. It was when we were trailing, which is different.
    I stand corrected :wink:

canadian_vikes_fan is offline Hall of Famer

"midgensa" wrote:
    Even when Bennett was healthy last year, Onterrio Smith had passed Bennett on the depth chart. I think that Bennett is pretty unreliable. He'll break one run for a 80 yard td and then he'll average 2 yards for the rest of the game. If the team can get past Smith's embarrassing actions, I think he has the best chance of starting in Week 1 (assuming he doesn't fail another drug test between now and then, which is a big assumption)

Thanks PPE for the sig.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast