COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

PRIMED FOR SUCCESS - Aaron Hosack and Ronyell Whitaker

http://www.vikings.com/news_detail_objectname_NFLELfeature6606.html
    [size=18px]PRIMED FOR SUCCESS[/size]
    Author: Mike Wobschall, vikings.com
    Thanks to receiver Aaron Hosack and defensive back Ronyell Whitaker the Vikings have already experienced on-field success in 2006. Both players were named to the All-NFL Europe Team for their performances throughout the 2006 NFL Europe regular season. On top of that, Hosack helped the Frankfurt Galaxy to the World Bowl title game. The All-NFL Europe Team members are voted on by the NFLEL coaching staffs, members of a media panel, and fans voting online at NFLEurope.com.

Hosack finished third in the league with 36 receptions for 473 yards (13.1 avg.) and four touchdowns. He started all ten games for Frankfurt and helped lead the team to a 7-3 record. Hosack and the Galaxy defeated Amsterdam in World Bowl XIV by a score of 22-7. The 6-5, 210-pound receiver originally signed with the Vikings in 2004 as an undrafted free agent out of the University of Minnesota and has spent time on the Vikings' practice squad.

Whitaker started every game for the Rhein Fire and recorded four interceptions, two for touchdowns. He added 42 tackles, 12 passes defensed, two forced fumbles, and nine special teams tackles. Whitaker tied an NFL Europe record with a 100-yard interception return for a touchdown at Hamburg (5/14). During his time in the NFL Whitaker has played in four games for Tampa Bay and spent the 2004 season on the Buccaneers' practice squad.

Both Hosack and Whitaker are in Minnesota working out with the team and both participated in the team's organized team activities (OTAs) this past weekend. Each player left an impression on Vikings Head Coach Brad Childress.

"Great hand-eye coordination," Childress said of Hosack. "Obviously he's a bigger target, which quarterbacks love. He kind of vacuums up the football. As my old stats guy used to say, receivers by definition should receive, and he does a good job of doing that."

Whitaker comes to the Vikings already familiar with both defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin and the "Tampa Two" defensive scheme he will employ this season. Whitaker spent both the 2003 and 2004 seasons on the Tampa Bay Buccaneers roster, where Tomlin was coaching.

Childress mentioned that the defensive coaching staff was able to evaluate Whitaker extensively this past weekend.

"I think the great thing is that they (coaching staff) have a feel for his football character and how he plays the game," Childress said. "He's (Ronyell) a great competitor. He already caught our guys' eyes in the special teams area. You like those guys that compete."

Despite the impressive performances of both Hosack and Whitaker in Europe and at Winter Park last weekend, Childress submits that coaching players fresh out of an NFL Europe season is not easy. Because they have just finished an 11+ week schedule, players often times come back to the NFL somewhat drained, only to report to training camp for another grueling season. Childress can relate personally to the dilemma NFL Europe players pose to NFL coaching staffs.

"I think with all of those NFL Europe guys, particularly at the skill positions, you have to be careful that you don't run their legs off," Childress commented after last weekend's OTA. "Because I go back to Brian Finneran with us the first year at Philadelphia. We ended up waiving him just because there was no gas left in the tank. He's a good football player and ended up having a nice career with Atlanta, but because NFL Europe had gone a little bit later back then and because he was a receiver, he spent about six months running. It's hard when you come to a training camp with all of that running when you've just been through a bunch of it."

Hosack and Whitaker are back with the Vikings and are ready to compete for jobs on the team. Both players are hoping their success in NFL Europe can translate into the same kind of success during the 2006 regular season and beyond.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

Re: PRIMED FOR SUCCESS - Aaron Hosack and Ronyell Whitaker

i hope he's our #5 WR & whitaker makes nickle =)

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

digital420 is offline Team Alumni

"Vikes_King" wrote:
    i hope he's our #5 WR & whitaker makes nickle =)
    sounds about right.

whitaker has the ability to jump into the special teams as well so i'm sure he gets higher then practice squad. Hosack should be able to be a good #5 receiver and possibly in the running for some S.T. play.

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

thetrenches68OL is offline Asst. Coach

i was just about to post this lol i like the sounds of that more depth the better
    The Trenches are where Games are Decided

Hutch and K. Will baby

sig by PurplePeopleEaters

damien927 is offline Asst. Coach

Yeah, I would like to see Whitaker and Griffin have a good battle for the nickle spot.... I have always like hosack, maybe with our new WCO he will fit in better..... with our old system they always wanted the blazing speed to get downfield.

sp

Thanks Lotza!

shawn9876uss is offline Coordinator

I think that they both are going to be good additions to the team

Thanks PurpleMafia

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

They are both going tomake the team. From there it is again on their shoulders to prove they can play in the NFL. Whitaker sonds like a dime back at least and I hope Hosack sees playing timeover McMullen. I'm not going to give either of them too much credit though because I hadn't heard of them before 3 weeks ago and they haven't done anything in the NFL. Once I see that first interception and touchdown, then the respect will start coming.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

Jarlvik2006 is offline Rookie

I think they'll not only make the team, but contribute when we need them. I could see Hosak being a viable red zone guy (Like Marcus), and I really think that Whitaker is going to blossom after about 5 years of trying. If Smoot goes down again I think Ronyell's right there to step in. You can't have too many good backup DB's and it looks like we're getting there.
    I m Watching You- You may not see me, you may not hear me, but I m watching you...