Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Pressure is on for Vikes QB Jackson

"Formo" wrote:
    "Schutz" wrote:
    "misplacedminnesotan" wrote:
    Personally I think people are putting too much on the Vikings right now.
    My only expectation is that we should make the playoffs, even if that means we are 1-and-done I would still be satisfied.
    No.
    In Childress's third year I expect better than one and done.
    People got on Tice's case and thought he was a bad coach, well he even did better than one and done.
    With the talent we have on this team there is absolutely no excuse to go one and done.
    I'm tired of mediocre sports teams, this is a good team and the coaches and players better make it work.
    We have one of the best rushing attacks in the game, a solid OLine, what could be the leagues best defense, and our starting QB going into his third year in the league.
    This team had better do better than one and done.
    No.
    In Childress's third year, I expect better than the previous two.
    People got on Tice's case and thought he was a bad coach, not because he did better than one and done, but rather he was losing grip of the team.
    Oh, and because he SUCKED.
    With the talent we have on this team, there is no excuse to be better than last years team or to miss the playoffs.
    I, too, am tired of mediocre sports teams, though..
    And I agree as well that this is a good team.
    Certainly all that is involved with putting up W's should make it work.
    But, even with the best rushing offense and defense, and a somewhat solid offensive line protecting our still-uncertain third year QB, while I'd love to say this team is better than a one and done, I can't expect anything more as such until the season starts.
    I totally agree. You have to establish consistency in making the playoffs before you can expect to win a SB.

Giants: 3 straight appearances before SB win.
    Colts: 5 straight appearances before SB win.
    Steelers: 4 appearances in 5 years before SB win.
    Patriots: 4 appearances in 6 years before first SB win.
    Patriots: 5 appearances in 7 years before second SB win.
    Patriots: 6 appearances in 8 years before third SB win.
    Buccaneers: 4 straight appearances before SB win.
    Ravens: 1 appearance led to SB win.
    Vikings: It would be 2 appearances in 5 years for a SB win in 2008. Definitely an exception and not the rule.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"PurpleEaters28" wrote:
    I honestly think that Jackson will be able to handle the starting job with no problem... He finally has some weapons in Berrian,Rice,Wade and Allison and not to forget about taylor and peterson and anything from our TE is a bonus but i guess we just gotta wait and see
    I just added you to the spread sheet my friend.
    You keep posting like that and you will move up the columns rather quickly.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Excellent read my friend.
    Thanks.

Ancient barbarian conquerors, third-year quarterbacks, rookie offensive linemen out of Vanderbilt — they've all got something in common — the weight of the world.
    You know the real reason I am so positive when it comes to TJ this year?

Its not because he played better than I expected him to last year.
    Its not that he posted a 8-4 record last year.
    Its not the flashes he showed last year.......

Its that he dealt with all that damn pressure, adversity and doubt by damn near everyone but his coaches and teamates and never buckled under that pressure.

Sure he made some damn dumb mistakes with the ball that cost us some losses but wasn't that really to be expected?
    Hell I am suprised he didn't do it every game.

Nope, I have no worries when it comes to what TJ will do this year with my purple world sitting on his shoulders.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

IMHO there is a shit ton of pressure on the OL and WRs to improve our passing game too!!
    Not all our misfires were Jackson's fault last year!
    Even the mighty AP missed some blocks.
    Sure, TJ could have not thrown the interception and taken a sack a few times, but, when it comes down to it, many times an INT ends up being alot like a punt and therefore not much better than a sack.

Excellent point Marrdro!
    I guess that's a big part of Childress' "He's wired right..." comment.

I have to admit, I'm usually pretty freakin excited during the off season while no games are played and all I see carries a nice purple tint.
    8)
    But, I really, really, really like how this team is built and if our youth develops as expected I think we'll be in the playoffs this year (even if its one and done), and likely compete for a NFC championship and possibly a superbowl every year for the next 3-6 years!!!
    We've got a young team with a ton of potential and good to great depth behind most of our vets...and nearly all of them are signed for multiple years.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

"mountainviking" wrote:
    IMHO there is a pooh ton of pressure on the OL and WRs to improve our passing game too!!
    Not all our misfires were Jackson's fault last year!
    Even the mighty AP missed some blocks.
    Sure, TJ could have not thrown the interception and taken a sack a few times, but, when it comes down to it, many times an INT ends up being alot like a punt and therefore not much better than a sack.

Excellent point Marrdro!
    I guess that's a big part of Childress' "He's wired right..." comment.

I have to admit, I'm usually pretty freakin excited during the off season while no games are played and all I see carries a nice purple tint.

8)
    But, I really, really, really like how this team is built and if our youth develops as expected I think we'll be in the playoffs this year (even if its one and done), and likely compete for a NFC championship and possibly a superbowl every year for the next 3-6 years!!!
    We've got a young team with a ton of potential and good to great depth behind most of our vets...and nearly all of them are signed for multiple years.
    That is the whole point right there.
    Then add to that stability at the FO level with respect to the people who go out and find the talent.

No reason why they can't keep finding talent that will replace the guys as they eventually age or become to expensive.
    I for one envision a good team for many many years to come.

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

"Marrdro" wrote:
    Thanks.

Ancient barbarian conquerors, third-year quarterbacks, rookie offensive linemen out of Vanderbilt — they've all got something in common — the weight of the world.

Its that he dealt with all that gol 'darnit pressure, adversity and doubt by gol 'darnit near everyone but his coaches and teamates and never buckled under that pressure.

Sure he made some gol 'darnit dumb mistakes with the ball that cost us some losses but wasn't that really to be expected?

Nope, I have no worries when it comes to what TJ will do this year with my purple world sitting on his shoulders.

;D
    Experience will help him improve his play when he is under pressure this year over last.

I guess this talk of managing games and not winning games bothers me some.

He did better in the two minute drill which suggests he needs to have the binders loosened up a little this year.

If his coaches restrict him too much, he could fail.
    It's risk vs reward. No risk = little reward.

He should have enough command of the offense to make decisions hisself. If he sees a need to audible or improvise, I hope they allow him to do so.

I believe he actually will win games for us this year.
    What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. Its the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

"jargomcfargo" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Thanks.

Its that he dealt with all that gol 'darnit pressure, adversity and doubt by gol 'darnit near everyone but his coaches and teamates and never buckled under that pressure.

Sure he made some gol 'darnit dumb mistakes with the ball that cost us some losses but wasn't that really to be expected?

;D
    Experience will help him improve his play when he is under pressure this year over last.

He did better in the two minute drill which suggests he needs to have the binders loosened up a little this year.

He should have enough command of the offense to make decisions hisself. If he sees a need to audible or improvise, I hope they allow him to do so.
    Pretty hard to actually see/hear what he is doing at the line from my Easyboy, but I believe he was allowed to audible last year.

Additionally, if memory serves, we have seen quotes in some of the links were the Chiller and TJ speak to things that would give us the assumption he had the lattitude to audible last year.

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "jargomcfargo" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Thanks.

;D

Pretty hard to actually see/hear what he is doing at the line from my Easyboy, but I believe he was allowed to audible last year.

Additionally, if memory serves, we have seen quotes in some of the links were the Chiller and TJ speak to things that would give us the assumption he had the lattitude to audible last year.
    Maybe it's my short memory. But I have no recollection of ever seeing him straighten up when under center to reposition a back or a receiver. Maybe I just missed it.
    I do recall some talk about Brad's QB philosophy being very restrictive. But that may have pertained to Brad Johnson the year before!

I still feel TJ will actually win some for us this year with a better team around him.
    What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. Its the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I'm with you here Marr.
    Chilly limited Brad Johnson's ability to call audiables, and he has been around awhile and knows how to read a defense, I have a hard time believing that he gives jackson (essentially a rookie) more freedom then a Veteran superbowl winning quarterback.

"jargomcfargo" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "jargomcfargo" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Thanks.

;D

Maybe it's my short memory. But I have no recollection of ever seeing him straighten up when under center to reposition a back or a receiver. Maybe I just missed it.
    I do recall some talk about Brad's QB philosophy being very restrictive. But that may have pertained to Brad Johnson the year before!

I still feel TJ will actually win some for us this year with a better team around him.
    He did though, also on the Vikings.com page interviews we heard stuff from the Chiller saying how he checked out of this or checked out of that.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast