Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Helmut Preseason Week 1: Texans @ Vikings

Texans @ Vikings Recap

I didn't catch the game, just saw the highlights and stats. Patterson seems to look good, both in the return game and as a receiver on the offense, as expected. Pink Floyd hurt his knee. Don't know his status yet. Zach Line looked really good on that long receiving TD. Burton made some great plays catching the ball and blocking.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Patterson is the deal. I think Burton is a lock for the 5th wide receiver spot.

Not enough to say anything about Ponder. Best we can say is that both of his passes had some zip on them, which I liked to see. He obviously doesn't have his timing down with Simpson yet. Cassel alternated between some really nice throws and some WTF moments. I wasn't impressed with his red zone performance, which is one of the few spots that Ponder shined last year. So all in all I am not jumping up and down at our QB situation yet.

But... it was preseason game 1. Backups almost the whole game. Next week will be a bit more telling, hopefully we have something more optimistic to talk about.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    He obviously doesn't have his timing down with Simpson yet.
    The "timing" comment usually sounds like an excuse to me. I'm not saying you are using it as such. "timing" issues is something you'd expect to see from a QB coming into a new team or a QB throwing to a new receiver.

Ponder has been throwing to Simpson for 2 offseasons & all of last year, minus the 3 games. At this point there shouldn't be timing issues between the two. If there is then I guess Ponder won't be on the same page with Patterson until sometime next season.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

iowa is offline Rookie
    I was pleasantly surprised by Patterson, he didn't appear to be as "raw" as some have suggested. I think he'll make an immediate impact on the team. I wish Ponder would have stayed in the game for another series or two, he needs all the reps he can get. The pick he threw looked like a ball Simpson could have caught. Overall it was just a so-so performance but I guess for week one of preseason it was pretty typical.
    None

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by iowa View Post
    I was pleasantly surprised by Patterson, he didn't appear to be as "raw" as some have suggested. I think he'll make an immediate impact on the team. I wish Ponder would have stayed in the game for another series or two, he needs all the reps he can get. The pick he threw looked like a ball Simpson could have caught. Overall it was just a so-so performance but I guess for week one of preseason it was pretty typical.
    My biggest question is why is Tom Brady playing two series but our QB playing 2 passes. He over threw him. It's a slant. It has no business being high and that in front. Saw a lot of nice slants from Cassell during the game right on the numbers. Simpson managed to get a hand on the ball when it was well past him.

Reignman is offline Asst. Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    My biggest question is why is Tom Brady playing two series but our QB playing 2 passes. He over threw him. It's a slant. It has no business being high and that in front. Saw a lot of nice slants from Cassell during the game right on the numbers. Simpson managed to get a hand on the ball when it was well past him.
    This is exactly what I was thinking. First I don't get why Frazier would only want Ponder to play 1 series to begin with, but then not letting him go out there for a 2nd series considering the 1st series only consisted of 2 plays. All the QB's that don't need work, Brady, Manning, Brees, Rodgers etc etc all played longer and threw more passes.

And regardless if Simpson ran a poor route, it was a short slant, the ball should have been low and in front. In other words Ponder sailed a short pass, but it's only 1 pass so I'm not ready to crucify him yet. Cassel threw an ugly INT a short time later. However Cassel threw for more yards in 1 half than Ponder did in 9 full games last year. How bout throwing the ball past the sticks on 3rd in long too? Nice to see.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    The "timing" comment usually sounds like an excuse to me. I'm not saying you are using it as such. "timing" issues is something you'd expect to see from a QB coming into a new team or a QB throwing to a new receiver.

Ponder has been throwing to Simpson for 2 offseasons & all of last year, minus the 3 games. At this point there shouldn't be timing issues between the two. If there is then I guess Ponder won't be on the same page with Patterson until sometime next season.

Agreed. This is his third season and there are no excuses at this point. What he is is pretty much what he is going to be. He had had many of the same players, the same position coach, the same offense and he should be comfortable in it now and be the one who is dictating things and not still working out the kinks.

Blog Entries

+1. I understand that frazier and company have a lot of guys they want to get tape on but in the end your first team has to have it's crap together and as far as i can see the passing game is still second rate at best.

That was a huge beef I had with Childress and how he handled jackson like he was Brady or Manning when he wasn't and they are doing the same thing with Ponder.I think it is a big mistake but then again I suppose if one of the starters tears an ACL in the second series then the media would be all over them for playing their guys in the preseason.

In the end I believe a lot of what is being done is to set the stage for pulling the preseason back to 2 games and taking the regular season to 18 games.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    My biggest question is why is Tom Brady playing two series but our QB playing 2 passes.
    They don't want to tip their hand and let every team know that our QB still sux by playing him too much in preseason.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Blog Entries
    The good news is they can always go back to the tried and true method of bringing in an aging vet who's career is on life support and give him one last shot at glory. When does manning turn 40?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast