Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    SharperImage is offline Hall of Famer
    539244_352582518150046_989982149_n.jpg
    Last edited by SharperImage; 08-19-2012 at 02:18 PM.

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired
    Asiata is a decent runner.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    Oh for crying out loud.

The kid had a good game - be happy for once. This has nothing to do with TJack or Webb (who BTW, never posted a game with 77%+ and 13+ avg). This is about Christian Ponder - the guy who happens to be the starter for your favorite NFL team. He went out and played a good game. Yes it was preseason, and yes, it was against an admittedly bad team... but it was also a very good performance by Ponder, who spread those 10 receptions to 8 different receivers and was 80% on first and second down passing attempts. Enjoy it!

Why must we be so cynical? It's football season baby! And as of right now, we are all tied for #1.

I am happy that he looked good and stated he looked good in my initial post, but again, it's only a preseason game. He looked good at times last year too, only to disappoint as well.

I relish regular season wins. I don't get visions of playoffs or Super Bowl based on 1+ quarter of QB play. Big expectations usually mean big disappointments to Vikings fans.

I'm not being cynical, I'm being realistic.

BTW, the comparison of Ponder's performance in that game to Webb's & Jackson's was used only to put it into perspective, since many here say they aren't starting material.

TJ was 12 of 15 (80%) for 202 yds (13.5 yd avg) & 2 TD's against KC in 2009. Additionally in 2 regular season games (2008 & 2009) he completed over 80% & a 10.5 yd average or better which is equal to Ponder's 10.5 yard avg.

Webb, just last year was 4 of 5 (80%) for 84 yds (16.8 yd avg) & 2 TD's & had a third TD running the ball against the Redskins in a regular season game. It is the only reason we won that game, yet some fans here still give credit for the win to Ponder.
    Last edited by singersp; 08-19-2012 at 03:07 PM.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Quote Originally Posted by marstc09 View Post
    Asiata is a decent runner.
    Asiasta is a beast!

He averaged 6.1 yards per carry in that game! That is a better average than anyone's season average last year who rushed for 605 or more yards!!! (32 players)!!!!

(sarcasm off)

Quote Originally Posted by SharperImage View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	539244_352582518150046_989982149_n.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	28.0 KB 
ID:	374
    I don't care if he jumps too high as long as he isn't getting high smoking weed.
    Last edited by singersp; 08-20-2012 at 04:18 AM.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    I am happy that he looked good and stated he looked good in my initial post, but again, it's only a preseason game. He looked good at times last year too, only to disappoint as well.

I relish regular season wins. I don't get visions of playoffs or Super Bowl based on 1+ quarter of QB play. Big expectations usually mean big disappointments to Vikings fans.

I'm not being cynical, I'm being realistic.

BTW, the comparison of Ponder's performance in that game to Webb's & Jackson's was used only to put it into perspective, since many here say they aren't starting material.

TJ was 12 of 15 (80%) for 202 yds (13.5 yd avg) & 2 TD's against KC in 2009. Additionally in 2 regular season games (2008 & 2009) he completed over 80% & a 10.5 yd average or better which is equal to Ponder's 10.5 yard avg.

Webb, just last year was 4 of 5 (80%) for 84 yds (16.8 yd avg) & 2 TD's & had a third TD running the ball against the Redskins in a regular season game. It is the only reason we won that game, yet some fans here still give credit for the win to Ponder.
    lol, whatever.

It is about as realistic as you were with Favre. You didn't like the decision to give Ponder the starting job without competition, so you are going to be "realistic" all season long regardless of end result. You were never this "realistic" with TJack.

Screw being realistic. I vote for optimistic. Yeah, I may be disappointed at the end of the road, but at least I am going to enjoy the trip. Skol Vikings!
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Screw being realistic. I vote for optimistic. Yeah, I may be disappointed at the end of the road, but at least I am going to enjoy the trip. Skol Vikings!
    You must have forgotten to vote in 2007 & 2008.

I am optimistic, but I'm realistic at the same time. A person doesn't have to be one or the other.

I'm just not going to set my optimism way high up there based on 1 preseason game & because of high goals set by a few players.

Lets not forget the Vikings were 4-9 a week ago with Ponder throwing the ball & they only came up with 2 FG's. Again, it was only preseason & nothing to get all gloom & doom about.

If you're going to glean things out of pre-season games then you should look at both games & not just one.

We're going to win games this year & we're going to make progress in the right direction, but realistically I don't feel we are a playoff caliber team yet.

We need to get better at several positions & even if Ponder is dead acurate on all his passes, receivers need to get open & more importantly catch & hang on to the ball, the latter still being a big concern.
    Last edited by singersp; 08-20-2012 at 05:26 AM.

Blog Entries
    You must have forgotten to vote in 2007 & 2008.

I am optimistic, but I'm realistic at the same time. A person doesn't have to be one or the other.

I'm just not going to set my optimism way high up there based on 1 preseason game & because of high goals set by a few players.

Lets not forget the Vikings were 4-9 a week ago with Ponder throwing the ball & they only came up with 2 FG's. Again, it was only preseason & nothing to get all gloom & doom about.

If you're going to glean things out of pre-season games then you should look at both games & not just one.

We're going to win games this year & we're going to make progress in the right direction, but realistically I don't feel we are a playoff caliber team yet.

We need to get better at several positions & even if Ponder is dead acurate on all his passes, receivers need to get open & more importantly catch & hang on to the ball, the latter still being a big concern.
    Yup, we have big holes to fill. And our depth at pretty much every single position is non-existent. A single injury could put us back to a sub five win season. And I am not gleaning a single thing from a preseason game.

I am simply saying the kid had a good game, it was fun to watch, and I am excited for football season. I see no reason to temper that excitement by comparing him or anyone else to a previous failure or a possibly misused backup QP. I just want to be excited! UNBRIDLED HOMERISM FOR ALL THINGS PURPLE HERE I COME! WHOO HOOO!!!! SKOL VIKINGS!
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Yup, we have big holes to fill. And our depth at pretty much every single position is non-existent. A single injury could put us back to a sub five win season. And I am not gleaning a single thing from a preseason game.

I am simply saying the kid had a good game, it was fun to watch, and I am excited for football season. I see no reason to temper that excitement by comparing him or anyone else to a previous failure or a possibly misused backup QP. I just want to be excited! UNBRIDLED HOMERISM FOR ALL THINGS PURPLE HERE I COME! WHOO HOOO!!!! SKOL VIKINGS!
    If the kid is going to have up & down games, I sure hope we play GB on those good days. Rodgers & GB hasn't looked so good this preseason so far (8-19, 75 yds), albeit it's just preseason for them too. I would love for us to beat them twice this season.

Blog Entries
    If the kid is going to have up & down games, I sure hope we play GB on those good days. Rodgers & GB hasn't looked so good this preseason so far (8-19, 75 yds), albeit it's just preseason for them too. I would love for us to beat them twice this season.
    If we beat Green Bay twice this season I would be ecstatic. Hell, if we beat them once this season I will sport a chubby...
    Zeus wrote:

=Z=

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast