singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Preseason Gripes Abound

Published Wednesday, August 16, 2006

[size=16pt]Preseason Gripes Abound[/size]

Minnesota Vikings coach Brad Childress is the leading candidate for the MVPP (Most Valuable Preseason Person) Award by a narrow margin over Washington Redskins running back Clinton Portis.

Saving ESPN's first Monday Night Football game from going into overtime, Childress eschewed a 40-yard field goal attempt on the final play, electing to try a desperation pass into the end zone instead. It was intercepted, preserving Oakland's 1613 preseason victory.

There should be no overtime in the preseason.

In fact, there should be no preseason, at least not in the form it is presented now. Which is precisely the point made by Portis after he separated his shoulder in the first quarter of the Redskins' preseason opener. Childress also lost Chad Greenway, his first-round draft choice, for the season to a knee injury on Monday night.

Why should a proven running back like Portis, who is going to carry the ball 300 times and catch 30 passes in a 16-game season, be subjected to the hits he is taking in games that don't count?

Well, because if guys like Portis didn't play, people might not buy as many tickets to exhibition games.

It seems there is more complaining about the preseason than ever, to the point where I'm starting to think something is going to change. As soon as the NFL figures out a way to reduce the length of the preseason without losing money, we will see the preseason cut back to two games. I can remember when they played six weeks of exhhibition games, and my grandfather told me of the days when they used to play 10 exhibitions and a six-game regular season.

OK, I lied about that part. But I do remember black-and-white television.

Perhaps someday we will see the preseason go the way of the dinosaur, and 100 years from now people will look back and marvel at the senselessness of it.

Part of the problem is that suckers like me watch it, not so much for the results but to get some information about the players, teams and systems. As anyone familar with preseason football knows, virtually all of the useful information is provided in the first 10 minutes of a telecast.

But as geeky as it is to admit, I made it all the way to the end of both Sunday night's game and Monday night's game. I was rewarded by Childress' heroic decision not to extend the game into overtime, and also by a solid debut for Tony Kornheiser as an analyst.

If he can stop talking about television celebrities and stick to football, Kornheiser might actually be tolerable on Monday Night Football. He seemed to disagree a lot with Joe Theisman, which is a good thing, especially in the fourth quarter of a preseason game.

Dick Scanlon can be reached at [email protected] or at 863-802-7554

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Del Rio Guest

Re: Preseason Gripes Abound

I actually agreed with Theisman on this issue.

If you think he is proven, if you think it is a risk to play him.........don't play him.
    This is for the young guys to get in a real game situation. For the coaches to have something to evaluate the people who are on the edge. The roster spots are limited, I think we need exibition games. If you don't want your starters to get hurt, don't play them.

Prophet Guest

Maybe just shorten the quarters.
    People will whine no matter what they come up with, it's just the way it is.
    Of course preseason is to sort out the pretenders from the 53 man roster and for the starters to get a little rust knocked off their wheels.
    The trade deadline is later in the season for a reason.

twiztedfait is offline Starter

I agree with del here.
    If a player is proven, and you know he is on your roster don't play them.

I don't watch preseason games to watch the 1st line(well I did this year because of all the changes
    :P ).
    I watch preseason games to watch everyone else.
    I want to see the new guys make a play and earn a spot on the roster.
    With all the offseason workouts, conditioning programs, and the fact that the players don't have to work summer jobs to make ends meet anymore
    the starters don't need to play these games unless a new guy makes a impact and challanges them for the starting spot.

Preseason is good, if it is used the right way.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Del" wrote:
    I actually agreed with Theisman on this issue.

If you think he is proven, if you think it is a risk to play him.........don't play him.
    This is for the young guys to get in a real game situation. For the coaches to have something to evaluate the people who are on the edge. The roster spots are limited, I think we need exibition games. If you don't want your starters to get hurt, don't play them.
    Parcells sat Drew Bledsoe for the *entire* Pre-season opener for Dallas last weekend.
    Tony Romo played the whole game.

Things like that are why the Tuna has won a couple Super Bowls.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

JellyBean2144 is offline Pro-Bowler

"Prophet" wrote:
    Maybe just shorten the quarters.
    People will whine no matter what they come up with, it's just the way it is.
    Of course preseason is to sort out the pretenders from the 53 man roster and for the starters to get a little rust knocked off their wheels.
    The trade deadline is later in the season for a reason.
    Amen!!

Slade is offline Star Spokesman

Guys get hurt in in practice too....I don't think reducing the time in each QTR would help. Maybe only have 2-3 pre-season games instead of 4. Coaches need preseason to see if the young bucks can hold up in a game scenario