Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    Stanzi is available. We need to go get him.
    Vince Young had a 130 QB rating the other night outperforming the likes of Aaron Rodgers and Russell Wilson, lets get him too. Read option here we come.

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    Read option here we come.
    That would involve our coaching staff adjusting their gameplan... which will never happen.

Run-Run-2 Yard dump, here we come!
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

Reignman is offline Asst. Coach
    We'll see how Kaepernick and Wilson do in the long run, I'm personally not sold on either yet. Not until I see multiple years of these dual threat guys being productive can I take them seriously. My bet is if they had been drafted by the Vikings that we would do our best to take away their strengths anyway.
    Well you don't have to go back very far to find proof of that. They took away Webbs strength in the playoff game and inexplicably tried to turn him into a pocket passer mid game. Like hey, we're the Vikings and we treat playoff games like preseason. And that was after the first drive when we appeared to be having some success with the read option. The following week Kaepernick torched the Packer D with the read option.

But I don't share the same optimism as Kev. With Ponder still struggling, Cassel looking like crap, KW nearly getting his knee destroyed, Felton getting suspended, our OL looking like turnstiles again, our inability to pickup the blitz, question marks at LB and CB, our overall lack of depth, ownership investigations, and now more stadium drama, it's just starting to seem like one of those years. I can see us experiencing the same level of frustration we had in 2010-2011. Heck we're just a few injuries away from being a 3-13 team again. If AD doesn't rush for 2500 yards it might be a long painful season, if not another embarrassing chapter for our franchise.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    2 of the 3 targets Ponder "trusted" throwing to last year are gone. He has to build that "trust" again this year with the new guys. We all know that Jennings can run crisp decisive routes, a problem fans claimed we had last year, yet now that we have him, Ponder is struggling to connect with him. He's hit him only a few times in the several times he's thrown to him.

I see a pattern & it involves more dump passes again this year. There will be more longer shots over 10 yards, but I feel between Ponder hesitating to make the throw or throwing off the mark, many of those will fall incomplete.

As much as I love AD's ability to run, I don't believe he'll have another year like last year. Teams will try and slow him down the same way GB did in the playoffs & I think teams will have better success as it. He'll still get a lot of yards, but not the 2,000+ we'd all love him to get.

In order for us to have a better than 8-8 season, Ponder would have to carry this team and beat some of our opponents with his arm. We saw him able to do it in a couple of games last year, but being able to do it a couple of times a year, doesn't win championships.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Predictions.... this team will get it together.

I am done predicting. I will just wait on the sidelines for things to unfold.

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    2 of the 3 targets Ponder "trusted" throwing to last year are gone. He has to build that "trust" again this year with the new guys. We all know that Jennings can run crisp decisive routes, a problem fans claimed we had last year, yet now that we have him, Ponder is struggling to connect with him. He's hit him only a few times in the several times he's thrown to him.

I see a pattern & it involves more dump passes again this year. There will be more longer shots over 10 yards, but I feel between Ponder hesitating to make the throw or throwing off the mark, many of those will fall incomplete.

As much as I love AD's ability to run, I don't believe he'll have another year like last year. Teams will try and slow him down the same way GB did in the playoffs & I think teams will have better success as it. He'll still get a lot of yards, but not the 2,000+ we'd all love him to get.

In order for us to have a better than 8-8 season, Ponder would have to carry this team and beat some of our opponents with his arm. We saw him able to do it in a couple of games last year, but being able to do it a couple of times a year, doesn't win championships.
    I don't think Ponder can carry the team, at best he might be a manager but I don't see much or any spark in him to just manage the offense, I think this year the team takes a step back and misses the wildcard this year

Caine is offline Jersey Retired
    I think you pegged Ponder as a similar talent to Jeff Garcia from the beginning. I doubt you believe he will reach that bar now. Jeff Garcia in his prime would be welcome on this team.

Kaepernick was the 36th pick, Russell Wilson was the 75th pick. How many dumbasses are there in the NFL anyways, any fool could have seen that these guys were going to light the league on fire. Wilson had IMO the best rookie outing of all QB's including Luck and RGIII. How much did the Redskins give up for RGIII when they could have had Wilson for relatively free?

I don't think the Vikings FO is cornering the market on botched first round QB picks.

You are right about one thing though, what I think is irrelevant, kind of like what you think
    First, IIRC, Garcia WASN'T welcome here...he was available after SF dumped him, and we passed. He was available in 2004, 05, 06, and 07. but we had Jackson...so we were good.

Second: I don't know how anyone could have predicted Kaepernick. He was on the list of potentials, and was taken in the 2nd round...about what you'd expect. Wilson, doing what he did after transferring late to WI - that kid is amazing. but he has some knocks too. Bottom line, neither guy lit of the NCAA so consistently as to warrant earlier round attention.

Which brings me to...

Third: I think that we will see the true metal of Kaepernick and Wilson this year. We've all seen more than a few young QB's light it up....then be unable to repeat ever again. There is now game film on both, at NFL speed. Teams are analyzing their trends and tendencies, and the early successes will be harder to duplicate. That's why there are so few iconic QB's in the NFL - so few have the ability to stay ahead of the curve. Manning (Peyton, not Eli), Brady, Elway, Favre, Marino, etc. These were guys who rose above the position. I'm not ready to put kaepernick or Wilson into that discussion yet...just like I won't put Rodgers, RGIII, or Newton into that class.

Caine

Caine is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by vikinggreg View Post
    I don't think Ponder can carry the team, at best he might be a manager but I don't see much or any spark in him to just manage the offense, I think this year the team takes a step back and misses the wildcard this year
    I agree. I think he actually went backwards last season. AP carried the team. He'll probably have to again this season.

Caine

vikesrgreat2 is offline Starter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    Stanzi is available. We need to go get him.
    Sorry, he signed with Jacksonville.

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    First, IIRC, Garcia WASN'T welcome here...he was available after SF dumped him, and we passed. He was available in 2004, 05, 06, and 07. but we had Jackson...so we were good.
    Garcia was a very good Qb until his arm fell off. He was better than anything the Vikings had.

I wanted the Vikings to go after Brees - just as I wanted the Vikings to draft him a few seasons earlier. The Vikings inquired, but the news from the day indicated Brees would not have been given a starter contract by the Vikings because of his injury, and the Saints handed him the keys.

Second: I don't know how anyone could have predicted Kaepernick. He was on the list of potentials, and was taken in the 2nd round...about what you'd expect. Wilson, doing what he did after transferring late to WI - that kid is amazing. but he has some knocks too. Bottom line, neither guy lit of the NCAA so consistently as to warrant earlier round attention.
    I agree, but Ponder had more knocks on him than Paris Hilton on a Saturday night, and the Vikings reached for him. So far, Wilson and Kaepernick have done better than their scouting reports while Ponder has done just about what the scouts thought he would. So the 49ers and Seahawks waited, drafted the players where they were expected to go, and got more than expected. The Vikings drafted Ponder much higher than most draft boards had him ranked, and they got a player who has done nothing more than his lower ranking would have indicated.

Third: I think that we will see the true metal of Kaepernick and Wilson this year. We've all seen more than a few young QB's light it up....then be unable to repeat ever again. There is now game film on both, at NFL speed. Teams are analyzing their trends and tendencies, and the early successes will be harder to duplicate.
    I agree. Not only that, but these guys will likely get injured taking all of those hits.

That's why there are so few iconic QB's in the NFL - so few have the ability to stay ahead of the curve. Manning (Peyton, not Eli), Brady, Elway, Favre, Marino, etc. These were guys who rose above the position. I'm not ready to put kaepernick or Wilson into that discussion yet...just like I won't put Rodgers, RGIII, or Newton into that class.
    I would put Rodgers into that class. Barring injury, he could be the best pure QB of his era.

The thing about RGIII that impressed me is that he could pass as well as he could run. Even if he loses mobility because of injuries, he could still end up a very good quarterback.
    Last edited by Minniman; 08-27-2013 at 05:32 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast