Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

Predictions.... this team will get it together.

I predict that we will look spotty for the first 2 weeks but then our offense and passing game will come together. I just feel it. Why? There is no way we can be as bad as we have looked.

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    I'm predicting a 6-10 season to be honest. Just don't see our coaches able to craft an effective gameplan (ever) and I can't see Peterson carrying this team for a second straight season.

Just a reminder, we easily could have drafted Kaepernick or Russell Wilson, but our staff is unable to evaluate talent.

Last edited by C Mac D; 08-26-2013 at 01:45 PM.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mac D View Post
    I'm predicting a 6-10 season to be honest. Just don't see our coaches able to craft an effective gameplan (ever) and I can't see Peterson carrying this team for a second straight season.

Just a reminder, we easily could have drafted Kaepernick or Russell Wilson, but our staff is unable to evaluate talent.

You can add a long list of others as well. Don't forget, every team screwed up on those two players including the teams that picked them.

We'll see how Kaepernick and Wilson do in the long run, I'm personally not sold on either yet. Not until I see multiple years of these dual threat guys being productive can I take them seriously. My bet is if they had been drafted by the Vikings that we would do our best to take away their strengths anyway. Seriously, we just look lost when trying to put together a decent passing effort. And that's not just Ponder or Cassell that look bad.

Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    You can add a long list of others as well. Don't forget, every team screwed up on those two players including the teams that picked them.

We'll see how Kaepernick and Wilson do in the long run, I'm personally not sold on either yet. Not until I see multiple years of these dual threat guys being productive can I take them seriously. My bet is if they had been drafted by the Vikings that we would do our best to take away their strengths anyway. Seriously, we just look lost when trying to put together a decent passing effort. And that's not just Ponder or Cassell that look bad.
    Whether you're sold on them or not is irrelevant... they're already vastly superior to the QB we have.

Not sure how anyone thought Ponder would be a viable starting QB in this league. If I was screaming it during the 2010 draft, our FO definitely should have realized it. Go back and find the 2010 draft thread if you want proof. I've been saying that Ponder is a career backup since he was putting up run-of-the-mill numbers at FSU.

I'm better at evaluating football talent than anyone in the Vikings FO... which isn't saying a lot. They still think Jerome Simpson is a starting WR.

Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    I predict that we will look spotty for the first 2 weeks but then our offense and passing game will come together. I just feel it. Why? There is no way we can be as bad as we have looked.
    That post surprised me. Seriously, as critical as you have been on Ponder how can you expect our passing game to come together. I highly doubt it will be much better than last year. I think it will be better, but not be a significant margin. Whether it's Ponder or Cassell, we should expect more production from the passing game, but that's just a statement to how bad it was last year. Hopefully it doesn't come with more TO's. Rudolph should continue to improve, Carlson has looked decent in pre-season he really can only be better than last year. Jennings and Patterson are better than one Harvin, Simpson is still the same ass clown he's always been. The WR crew is better and should be more than adequate to improve our passing game, even if Ponder doesn't progress like he should.

In terms of the overall team play, I am expecting a lot of what we saw last year. Unless AD gets hurt, I think he will have another great year. Maybe not 2000 yards, but then again why not? Unless Ponder all of a sudden shows he can pass our way to victory, I would expect AD to get as many opportunities as he did last year. Frazier needs to keep his job, and will ride this horse until it breaks.

That leaves us to defense and special teams.

I think Locke is a little better than Kluwe at this point. His pre-season outings haven't been near as impressive as the practice stories coming out, but he does have a good kick inside the 20's. Walsh really can't be any better, but should be similar unless he continues those line drive kickoffs like last night that led to a TD. I think Cordarelle has the potential to replace Harvin on KO returns, but that is a pretty high bar. Punt returns will be a wash. So overall, relatively the same assuming Priefer continues to pay attention to all the role players.

On defense, I don't know. I expect the DL to continue to be our strength especially with the addition of Floyd. LB crew looks to be improved but far from league leading. Safeties look decent. CB's are a big unknown. Rhodes could be the guy we need the most to maintain some respectability, This is a big concern area for me, mostly because of Cook's uncertainty from week to week and our lack of depth. Overall, maybe slightly better than last year. They are calling a lot more man coverages by our DB's. I don't think we can do this on a steady basis without Rhodes and Cook both playing at their best.

It will all be about intensity and execution for this team to win. Last year I predicted 6-10 and was happy to see the 10-6 results even if we did "overperform". This year, I think repeating the 10-6 record will be a reach. I will go with a 9-7 as we do have a lot of leaders on this team on both sides of the ball that can make a difference when playing evenly matched teams. It will take better coaching and improved QB play for us to go beyond this point.

Whether you're sold on them or not is irrelevant... they're already vastly superior to the QB we have.

Not sure how anyone thought Ponder would be a viable starting QB in this league. If I was screaming it during the 2010 draft, our FO definitely should have realized it. Go back and find the 2010 draft thread if you want proof. I've been saying that Ponder is a career backup since he was putting up run-of-the-mill numbers at FSU.

I'm better at evaluating football talent than anyone in the Vikings FO... which isn't saying a lot. They still think Jerome Simpson is a starting WR.
    I think you pegged Ponder as a similar talent to Jeff Garcia from the beginning. I doubt you believe he will reach that bar now. Jeff Garcia in his prime would be welcome on this team.

Kaepernick was the 36th pick, Russell Wilson was the 75th pick. How many dumbasses are there in the NFL anyways, any fool could have seen that these guys were going to light the league on fire. Wilson had IMO the best rookie outing of all QB's including Luck and RGIII. How much did the Redskins give up for RGIII when they could have had Wilson for relatively free?

I don't think the Vikings FO is cornering the market on botched first round QB picks.

You are right about one thing though, what I think is irrelevant, kind of like what you think

rednorsk is offline Rookie
    Dreamers!!! IMHO three people have to go. Spielman, Frazer, and Ponder. That's right after the Wilfs go to jail.
    None

I think you pegged Ponder as a similar talent to Jeff Garcia from the beginning. I doubt you believe he will reach that bar now. Jeff Garcia in his prime would be welcome on this team.
    Garcia in his prime? Hell, I'd take Garcia now over Ponder.

I did say that though. Surprised you remember that.

You are right about one thing though, what I think is irrelevant, kind of like what you think
    That's why I have a disclaimer.

But... I was saying LONG before the draft that Russell Wilson would be the best QB in that draft class. Not saying he's "Far and Away" the best, but he's definitely better than anything we've drafted in the past decade.

Garcia in his prime? Hell, I'd take Garcia now over Ponder.

I did say that though. Surprised you remember that.

That's why I have a disclaimer.

But... I was saying LONG before the draft that Russell Wilson would be the best QB in that draft class. Not saying he's "Far and Away" the best, but he's definitely better than anything we've drafted in the past decade.
    Even a blind squirrel ....

I would still take Luck.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Stanzi is available. We need to go get him.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast