Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 125
  1. #21
    PackSux!'s Avatar
    PackSux! is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,564
    Kevin Ogletree seems like an interesting experiment. Wouldn't cost us much and it is right up Spielman's alley.

  2. #22
    smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    893
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Receivers top Vikings' free-agent wish list

    Receivers top Vikings' free-agent wish list | StarTribune.com



    That's quite familiar to what they were saying last year...


    I wonder what they'll say next year...
    Next year they will be saying,' Will the new coaching staff draft a QB with their number one pick or look for one in free agency ' ?

  3. #23
    Flair Hay is offline Rookie
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    87
    Singer, I think it's pretty obvious you are splitting hairs on this one...we're more run based than 80% of the league. Clearly our offence is going to run through Peterson as much as possible this year.

    Back OT, did anyone see that the Chargers are reportedly giving Danario Alexander the low tender? That would mean no compensation if they signed him and the Bolts didn't match. He'd help our offence more than Wallace or Jennings IMO...and at probably half the price .

  4. #24
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,271
    Quote Originally Posted by Flair Hay View Post
    Singer, I think it's pretty obvious you are splitting hairs on this one...we're more run based than 80% of the league. Clearly our offence is going to run through Peterson as much as possible this year..
    Obvious to who? It's obvious we ran the ball as much as we passed it last year, that's 50/50 split, not a "run 1st" team.

    Ponder was throwing passes right & left to Harvin until he got hurt. AD had 43% of his 348 runs in the first half of the season and 57% of his total in the last half.

    Sure we ran the ball more than several passing teams in the league who might have had a 70/30 or 60/40 split, but that is not what makes a team a "run 1st team".

    What makes a team a "run first" team is running the ball a higher percentage of the time than passing it, which we haven't done since 2008. Even then it was a 53%/47% split with 5% of that being QB runs, many of which weren't designed runs.
    Last edited by singersp; 03-09-2013 at 08:20 PM.

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  5. #25
    tastywaves's Avatar
    tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,879
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    We are?

    Based on what?

    The fact that we ran the ball 3 more times than we passed it last year? That 486 to 483 run-pass count includes the 60 times Ponder ran it, much of which were probably not designed runs. Wouldn't you agree?

    Well what about 2011 you say?
    510 pass attempts, 448 rush attempts (64 of which were by QB's)

    2010?
    505 pass attempts, 441 rush attempts (24 of which were by QB's)

    2009?
    553 pass attempts, 467 rush attempts (9 of which were by QB's)

    2008?
    452 pass attempts, 519 rush attempts (45 of which were by QB's)

    You have to go back to 2008 before we can say we were more of a run 1st team.

    We haven't been one since signing Favre in 2009.
    Based on the fact that our primary focus and strength is in running the ball. Based on the fact that we had RB with over 2000 yards last year. Based on the fact that anyone we play is focused on how do they stop us from running the ball. Based on the fact that are woeful passing game is set up by our running game. Based on the fact that the players we put under contract and what we ask them to do is primarily to aid in running the ball. Based on the fact that we treat the passing game as an after thought and seem quite content with it. Based on the fact that Leslie says we are a team focused on controlling the line of scrimmage, managing the clock, playing physical and making them try to stop our running game.

    If the term "run first" is synonymous to you with how many plays you run vs. pass then I can change it to "a team that is focused on running the ball more than passing it".

  6. #26
    bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,955
    Quote Originally Posted by PackSux! View Post
    No thanks to your plan. The Vikings already pulled of that brain fart when they let Tony Richardson walk away.

    I watched Felton blow up to many players to help spring Peterson this year to think that just anyone could replace him. Not to mention that Felton wants to play here and help Peterson break the rushing record. I don't see a problem in signing a guy that wants to stay here, and that also makes me think that money is not going to be a issue.
    I completely agree... Was so mad we let Tony Rich go...

  7. #27
    VikesfaninWis's Avatar
    VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    5,055
    Have to believe that the Vikings will land either Wallace of Jennings now. Is it possible that the Vikings could look at Cruz now that they have another 1st rd pick? I would say no to that, and just go after Wallace or Jennings and keep the picks.

  8. #28
    Flair Hay is offline Rookie
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    87
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    Based on the fact that our primary focus and strength is in running the ball. Based on the fact that we had RB with over 2000 yards last year. Based on the fact that anyone we play is focused on how do they stop us from running the ball. Based on the fact that are woeful passing game is set up by our running game. Based on the fact that the players we put under contract and what we ask them to do is primarily to aid in running the ball. Based on the fact that we treat the passing game as an after thought and seem quite content with it. Based on the fact that Leslie says we are a team focused on controlling the line of scrimmage, managing the clock, playing physical and making them try to stop our running game.

    If the term "run first" is synonymous to you with how many plays you run vs. pass then I can change it to "a team that is focused on running the ball more than passing it".
    Don't wanna sound like an ass but yeah what he said. The last line there was the "splitting hairs" I was talking about.

  9. #29
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,271
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    Based on the fact that our primary focus and strength is in running the ball. Based on the fact that we had RB with over 2000 yards last year. Based on the fact that anyone we play is focused on how do they stop us from running the ball. Based on the fact that are woeful passing game is set up by our running game. Based on the fact that the players we put under contract and what we ask them to do is primarily to aid in running the ball. Based on the fact that we treat the passing game as an after thought and seem quite content with it. Based on the fact that Leslie says we are a team focused on controlling the line of scrimmage, managing the clock, playing physical and making them try to stop our running game.

    If the term "run first" is synonymous to you with how many plays you run vs. pass then I can change it to "a team that is focused on running the ball more than passing it".
    Change it to what you want. We still pass the ball as much or more than we run it. That is not what I call a "run 1st team" nor do I believe we are always more focused on the run or that our passing game is an afterthought. The numbers speak for themselves. What we are is a team that is trying to be equally balanced in running & passing in a passing league. We try and control the game by running the ball & with short accurate passes with YAC. That also means we do run more than those teams that are passing teams and of course since running the ball is 50% of our game rather than a small part of it & our passing game is mostly 5 yard dumps & behind the LOS passes, defenses are going to try & stop our strong point & not focus as much on the passing game. Thing is defenses can stack the box to try & stop our running game & that also puts them in a prime spot to take away our passing game as well.
    Last edited by singersp; 03-11-2013 at 08:01 PM.

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  10. #30
    smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    893
    I favor getting an unrestricted free agent wide receiver rather than a restricted free agent like Cruz.
    If you get an UFA receiver, you retain both first round picks and should end up with three very good players instead of two.
    Why end up with two very good players when you can have three ?
    Last edited by smegmavike; 03-12-2013 at 11:42 AM.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •