Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234 12 ... LastLast
    mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    "Obviously last year was a tough year for me, kind of being in an offense that really didn't use a fullback," Felton said. "It's all about the timing of the situation, being in the right place at the right time. I feel like this is the right place. It would definitely mean a lot to me."
    Sounds to me like he'll be staying. He'll probably gladly sign just an average plus deal, like a 4 years for 10 mill, with a 2.5 cap hit, and really, signing some other average FB would probably only save us half a mill a year. Might as well keep what works.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Flair Hay is offline Rookie
    Yeah Felton's not irreplaceable, but a downgrade is a downgrade. AD inflates his value a bit for sure, but as has been mentioned already, we already screwed the pooch when we let TRich go with nothing to replace him.

Only argument I could buy is that Ellison has potential to be just as good.

IMO Felton + Loadholt + Wr in draft > Ellison + weak RT + expensive WR

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    How much of that is him making a simple block that AD takes the distance.
    Not saying that was all he did as had some pretty good blocks this season but.... its a known fact that runners are who generates the faceless positions notoriety. I.e. better to be a FB on a team like the Vikings than one on the Packers. I would wager that Kuhn is a better Fb but his team has no real runners so he doesn't get his name in lights (occasional td)

Flair Hay is offline Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    How much of that is him making a simple block that AD takes the distance.
    Not saying that was all he did as had some pretty good blocks this season but.... its a known fact that runners are who generates the faceless positions notoriety. I.e. better to be a FB on a team like the Vikings than one on the Packers. I would wager that Kuhn is a better Fb but his team has no real runners so he doesn't get his name in lights (occasional td)
    PFF system has its flaws but the ranking is based on him carrying out his assignment, same as every other fullback in the league. Kuhn is not a better blocking back than Felton at all, I'd take that wager if there was a real way to quantify it.

Quote Originally Posted by Flair Hay View Post
    PFF system has its flaws but the ranking is based on him carrying out his assignment, same as every other fullback in the league. Kuhn is not a better blocking back than Felton at all, I'd take that wager if there was a real way to quantify it.
    That's the issue, how do they know if the FB did his job. Often a FB goes inside when he should have gone out and it looks like the HB bounced it outside and then vice versa.

tastywaves is online now Ring of Fame
    That's the issue, how do they know if the FB did his job. Often a FB goes inside when he should have gone out and it looks like the HB bounced it outside and then vice versa.
    It's subjective, just like everyone's opinion. PFF does what they can to try and get a fair grade on a player and his responsibility, but in the end it is still based on subjection.

Personally, I do like Felton and hope that he does get an extension. Regardless of what AD says, the lead blocker whether it was T-Rich, Kleinsasser or Felton has been a big part of his success. Like it or not, we are a run first team. Opponents know it, they send additional defenders to stop it and we need to put in additional blockers to counter it. Felton is one of the better ones.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    Like it or not, we are a run first team.
    We are?

Based on what?

The fact that we ran the ball 3 more times than we passed it last year? That 486 to 483 run-pass count includes the 60 times Ponder ran it, much of which were probably not designed runs. Wouldn't you agree?

Well what about 2011 you say?
    510 pass attempts, 448 rush attempts (64 of which were by QB's)

2010?
    505 pass attempts, 441 rush attempts (24 of which were by QB's)

2009?
    553 pass attempts, 467 rush attempts (9 of which were by QB's)

2008?
    452 pass attempts, 519 rush attempts (45 of which were by QB's)

You have to go back to 2008 before we can say we were more of a run 1st team.

We haven't been one since signing Favre in 2009.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

We are?

Based on what?

The fact that we ran the ball 3 more times than we passed it last year? That 486 to 483 run-pass count includes the 60 times Ponder ran it, much of which were probably not designed runs. Wouldn't you agree?

Well what about 2011 you say?
    510 pass attempts, 448 rush attempts (64 of which were by QB's)

2010?
    505 pass attempts, 441 rush attempts (24 of which were by QB's)

2009?
    553 pass attempts, 467 rush attempts (9 of which were by QB's)

2008?
    452 pass attempts, 519 rush attempts (45 of which were by QB's)

You have to go back to 2008 before we can say we were more of a run 1st team.

We haven't been one since signing Favre in 2009.
    Keep in mind a lot of those passes were done to keep the defense honest. They loaded he box on first down so we checked to a slant (which never worked). Or the OC decided to go pass first to throw the defense off guard.

Keep in mind a lot of those passes were done to keep the defense honest. They loaded he box on first down so we checked to a slant (which never worked). Or the OC decided to go pass first to throw the defense off guard.
    It doesn't matter what they were thrown for, they were passed nevertheless. You don't start discounting designed pass plays because of what your personal opinion is of what they were thrown for.

Next you'll be telling us that GB is a run first team except they are simply throwing more to try and open up the run.
    Last edited by singersp; 03-09-2013 at 09:44 AM.

Receivers top Vikings' free-agent wish list

Receivers top Vikings' free-agent wish list | StarTribune.com

Internally, the Vikings have a profound belief that Ponder will make a big leap forward in his third year starting.
    That's quite familiar to what they were saying last year...
    Internally, the Vikings have a profound belief that Ponder will make a big leap forward in his second year starting.
    I wonder what they'll say next year...
    Internally, the Vikings still have a profound belief that Ponder will make a big leap forward in his fourth year starting.
    Last edited by singersp; 03-09-2013 at 09:25 AM.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234 12 ... LastLast