Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 29
  1. #11
    JPPT1974's Avatar
    JPPT1974 is offline Starter
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    252
    Hopefully he will learn the system more in his second year. As he has a lot to learn. After a pretty bruising rookie year. Would hate to guess the numbers though.
    NFL 2013 is Here!

  2. #12
    C Mac D's Avatar
    C Mac D is online now Posting to P'own
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    13,496
    Quote Originally Posted by midgensa View Post
    I think CMAC is pretty dead on.
    Usually am.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

  3. #13
    midgensa's Avatar
    midgensa is offline Jersey Retired Free Kick Specialist 3 Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,311
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mac D View Post
    Usually am.
    That must be it.

  4. #14
    kevoncox's Avatar
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,910
    I just don't see the kid staying healthy. I love his athleticism but It's been a long time since a QB other that Brett put up the kind of numbers you guys are hoping for. Blame it on the line, the division or his affinity for being knocked out of games...He starts the season but only plays in about 12 full games.

    2800 yds 17tds 17int
    I'll give him a nice 60% completion ratio because he was normally accurate but has to adjust to the speed of the game.

  5. #15
    midgensa's Avatar
    midgensa is offline Jersey Retired Free Kick Specialist 3 Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,311
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    I just don't see the kid staying healthy. I love his athleticism but It's been a long time since a QB other that Brett put up the kind of numbers you guys are hoping for. Blame it on the line, the division or his affinity for being knocked out of games...He starts the season but only plays in about 12 full games.

    2800 yds 17tds 17int
    I'll give him a nice 60% completion ratio because he was normally accurate but has to adjust to the speed of the game.
    A long time since we have had average QB play? A long time since we got a 81.75 rating? Hell, you are predicting a whole 77.71 rating. Hardly very different.

    Not like we are predicting big numbers.

    I would say we had better play from Culpepper in 2004, Johnson in 2005, Frerotte and Jackson in 2008 and (obviously) Favre in 2009. I guess maybe you see those as a long time ago. But even if you got back to Culpepper, it was just 8 seasons ago.

    I think these numbers are very realistic if he starts 14-16 games. As they are pretty similar to yours just prorated out.

  6. #16
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,266
    Quote Originally Posted by marshallvike View Post
    I am not sure how anyone could possibly give up on Ponder after last season, or even think that it can be determined that he is a bust already. I personally believe he could be a winning QB in this league. (Depending on the ability of the coaching staff to develop his skills).
    +1

    What I can't believe is how some people can claim Webb is nothing more than backup material after 3 NFL starts, but claim Ponder needs more time before he can be judged.

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  7. #17
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,266
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mac D View Post
    This is my prediction:

    3,700 yards
    24 TDs
    18 INTs
    58% completion
    I'm guessing closer to 2,800 yards, 18 TD's, 18 INT's, 58% completion.

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  8. #18
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,602
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    +1

    What I can't believe is how some people can claim Webb is nothing more than backup material after 3 NFL starts, but claim Ponder needs more time before he can be judged.
    If only there was some kind of body of evidence that the coaches could look at other than starts when they evaluate players... something like a practice or maybe some kind of Organized Team Activities... but alas - the one and only thing the coaching staff and fans have to look at is starts.

    Yes, if we saw multiple back to back starts by Webb, we would have a larger body of evidence to judge him. But he isn't going to get multiple back to back starts. If and when the time comes that he does get to start more often, I reserve the option to reevaluate my opinion of him.

    Ponder is going to see more starts - therefore the jury is still out on him IMHO.
    Last edited by NodakPaul; 07-06-2012 at 09:21 PM.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  9. #19
    C Mac D's Avatar
    C Mac D is online now Posting to P'own
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    13,496
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    If only there was some kind of body of evidence that the coaches could look at other than starts when they evaluate players... something like a practice or maybe some kind of Organized Team Activities...
    Iverson Practice! - YouTube
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

  10. #20
    tastywaves's Avatar
    tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,869
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    +1

    What I can't believe is how some people can claim Webb is nothing more than backup material after 3 NFL starts, but claim Ponder needs more time before he can be judged.
    He was and is an experiment that has never been considered a true #1 candidate for QB. He was #3 on the depth chart that came in due to injury. I doubt he was ever considered more than a wildcat type option for us. In his limited playing time, he obviously showed the coaches enough to keep him on the roster as a QB, which was a big step for him. If he becomes our best option, than we will no doubt be out looking for another QB.

    I enjoyed watching him play. I think he is a competitor and a strong athlete. I just didn't see anything that you can build a complex offense around. He is a less refined Vince Young, with a better head between his shoulders. If you refine him, than you might have a Vince Young, but that's the ceiling for him in my book.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •