Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    SoDakfan is offline Training Camp

Predicting the Roster

I rarely post, but around this time I always enjoy predicting the roster. Haven't seen any recent posts on this, but forgive me if I'm starting a repetitive thread. Without further ado, my predictions:

QB: D. McNabb, C. Ponder, J. Webb. No surprises here.

RB: A. Peterson, T. Gerhart, L. Booker. Again, no surprises. Caleb King to practice squad.

FB: R. D'Imperio. I've seen D'Imperio in enough packages in the pre-season that I believe they'll keep him on in the FB position. His special teams play doesn't hurt his chances, either.

WR: P. Harvin, M. Jenkins, D. Aromashodu, J. Johnson, J. Iglesias, G. Camarillo. I think the Vikings are going to part ways with Berrian. Younger receivers like Iglesias, Aromashodu, and Jaymar have shown as much or more ability than Berrian, and the Vikings will go with less expensive youth at the position. Stephen Burton and Emmanuel Arceneaux to practice squad.

TE: K. Rudolph, V. Shiancoe, J. Kleinsasser, A. Reisner. Jeff Dugan is the odd man out here, but then again I count him out every year and he always proves me wrong.

OT: C. Johnson, P. Loadholt, D. Love. Thomas Welch to practice squad.

OG: S. Hutchinson, A. Herrera, C. DeGeare, R. Cook. There have been rumblings of Herrera's demise, but I just don't see who else earns a starting position, especially with Kooistra (who had shown some flashes) on IR. Ryan Cook's versatility keeps him on the roster. Seth Olsen to practice squad.

C: J. Sullivan, B. Fusco. It seems like a toss-up between Fusco and Jon Cooper, but I'll go with the younger guy.

DE: B. Robison, J. Allen, E. Griffen, A. Awasom. For name's sake, I want Stylez to make the team, but then again Awasom isn't so shabby a name either. Awasom has shown enough upside to fend off Stylez. D'Aundre Reed to practice squad.

DT: K. Williams, R. Ayodele, L. Guion, C. Ballard. Fred Evans is odd man out, though considering Williams' injury perhaps they keep 5 DTs.

LB: EJ Henderson, Erin Henderson, C. Greenway, J. Brinkley, H. Farwell, L. Dean. I think Larry Dean is the next Heath Farwell -- an undrafted FA who proves a stud on special teams and is a Vike for years to come. Hate to count out Kenny Onatalu, but his injury in camp hurts his chances. Ross Homan to practice squad.

CB: A. Winfield, C. Griffin, C. Cook, M. Sherels, B. Burton. Asher Allen's time with the Vikes is over, thanks to M. Sherels' emergence. Tony Carter to practice squad.

S: H. Abdullah, M. Raymond, J. Sanford, T. Johnson, E. Frampton. The weakness of this position saddens me every year. I don't think any of these guys would be a lock to even make the team on many other rosters.
    There has been a lot of buzz about Mistral Raymond, but I'm left to wonder if that isn't mostly due to the others on the roster being relative duds.

K: R. Longwell

P: C. Kluwe

LS: C. Loeffler

And, finally, 5 guys I think really need to "break out" this year for Vikings' success: Phil Loadholt; Kyle Rudolph; Letroy Guion, Erin Henderson, and ANY SAFETY THAT CAN (I'm not very confident on the last one).

Pick it apart. I'm most interested in thoughts on the receivers -- I think that's the most interesting position to ponder.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Predicting the Roster

My guess:

QB: McNabb, Webb, Ponder
    RB: AP, Gerhart, Booker
    FB/TE: Shank, Rudolph, Sauce, D'Imperio
    WR: Harvin, Jenkins, Berrian, Aromashodu, Jaymar (Not a chance Berian gets cut)
    OT: CJohnson, Loadholt, Love
    OG: Hutch, Degeare, Cook (Herrerra will start season on PUP)
    C: Sullivan, Cooper
    (23 players)

DE: Rob, Allen, Griffen, Awasom, Reed
    DT: KW, Ayodele, Guion, Ballard, Evans
    OLB: Greenway, Erin, Onatolu, Farwell,
    MLB: EJ, Brinkley
    CB: Winfield, Griffin, Cook, Asher, Sherels, Burton
    S: Abdullah, Johnson, Sanford, Frampton, Raymond
    (26)

ST:
    LS: Loeffler
    P: Kluwe
    K: Longwell
    (3)

53 man roster

I think OL will be quite interesting. Guys like Love, Cooper, Cook, Degeare, have too much talent to straight up cut, but I'm not sure we will carry 9 linemen. A guy like Cook can back up all positions, might he push a guy like Cooper out? Who knows.

I see us goign with alot of Defense just for the special teamsers.

Having guys like Farwell, Onatolu, Sanford, Brinkley, Frampton and Raymond easily interchangable on ST will be key, especially on Kickoffs, as I bet we're goign to try and let them return and stop them within the 20 more often than not.

Interested as to why you think there's no way they'll cut Berrian. I just don't see what he brings to the table, especially considering his cost. I know he restructed his contract, but that was before the emergence of Aromashodu, Iglesias, and Jaymar was apparent. Like most, I just don't get Berrian's allure ... he rarely gets separation and his hands are suspect. I can envision a Bobby Wade-type departure for him.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "SoDakfan" #1105927
    Interested as to why you think there's no way they'll cut Berrian. I just don't see what he brings to the table, especially considering his cost. I know he restructed his contract, but that was before the emergence of Aromashodu, Iglesias, and Jaymar was apparent. Like most, I just don't get Berrian's allure ... he rarely gets separation and his hands are suspect. I can envision a Bobby Wade-type departure for him.
    Considering he was hurt most of last year, and favre had a god-awful year, his previous two years had been decent.

Two seasons ago he had something like 700 yards, the year before almost 1000. Now, not fantastic, but pretty solid for what he is.

Fraizer says he's going to be a huge part of our offense, and as long as he stays healthy, he can be. No, he's not a true #1 guy, not a go-to, but he's a playmaker, something we NEED. He's restructured to a fairly inexpensive contract.

To compare, you want to keep a guy like Cam, who has done literally nothing for us, Aromashodu, who didn't top 200 yards last year, or Iglasias, who hasn't played a pro snap yet?

Berrian is the safe bet. Iglasias hasn't really impressed a whole lot, Arceneaux I just can't see making the roster at all.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

For some reason I haven't even tried to work this part yet this year......

Couple of questions:
    1. I thought we could keep 54
    2. How many are allowed on the PS
    3. Can Arcenaux make it to the PS or does his CFL time count against him. I don't think it does.

Couple of factors:
    1. I don't see the need for a FB.
    2. I am not sure why mix of WR's we will keep. My guess is we will want a couple of PH's, a couple of Jenkins, and maybe 1 BB. Based on some stuff we've seen out of ST's work (returners) I'm not so sure JJ makes the squad this year.

QB:
    1. D. McNabb
    2. C. Ponder
    3. J. Webb

RB
    4. A. Peterson
    5. T. Gerhart
    6. L. Booker

FB – None (See TE’s)

WR
    7. P. Harvin
    8. M. Jenkins
    9. B Berrian (Could be JJ here)
    10. J Iglesias (or Aromashodu) Won’t keep both
    11. M. Arceneaux (or G. Camarillo if they want more short/fast than they want possession)

TE (No need to keep a FB when Sauce, Dugan and possibly even Reisner can fill that role)
    12. V. Shiancoe,
    13. J. Kleinsasser
    14. K. Rudolph
    15. A. Reisner
    16. J. Dugan

OT
    17. C. Johnson
    18. P. Loadholt
    19. D. Love

OG
    20. S. Hutchinson
    21. A. Herrera
    22. C. DeGeare
    23. R. Cook

CENTER
    24. J. Sullivan
    25. B. Fusco (Could be Coop, just not sure at this point)

DE
    26. B. Robison
    27. J. Allen
    28. E. Griffen
    29. A. Awasom
    30. D. Reed

DT
    31. K. Williams
    32. R. Ayodele
    33. L. Guion
    34. C. Ballard
    35. Fred Evans (Only makes the roster until K-dubb returns or someone better comes along)

LB
    36. EJ Henderson
    37. Erin Henderson
    38. C. Greenway
    39. J. Brinkley
    40. L. Dean
    41. K. Onatalu

CB
    42. A. Winfield
    43. C. Griffin
    44. C. Cook
    45. M. Sherels
    46. A. Allen

S
    47. H. Abdullah
    48. J. Sanford
    49. T. Johnson
    50. M. Raymond
    51. E. Frampton

ST
    52. K: R. Longwell
    53. P: C. Kluwe
    54. LS: C. Loeffler

PS (How many can we keep this year)
    J. Cooper
    C. King
    S. Burton
    M. Arceneaux (If he doesn’t make a spot. Not sure if his CFL time makes him ineligible)
    T. Welch
    S. Olsen
    R. Homan
    B. Burton
    T. Carter
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

To Marrdro's questions, I think the roster is still 53, the change being that a team can have 46 instead of 45 players active during any week. Also, my prediction assumed 8 practice squad players, but perhaps that's been changed. On the Arceneaux question, I assumed his CFL time doesn't count against him, but i didn't research the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by "SoDakfan" #1106009
    To Marrdro's questions, I think the roster is still 53, the change being that a team can have 46 instead of 45 players active during any week. Also, my prediction assumed 8 practice squad players, but perhaps that's been changed. On the Arceneaux question, I assumed his CFL time doesn't count against him, but i didn't research the issue.
    Good stuff my friend. Keep bringing quality stuff like this and I think you'll do fine on here.

Having said that.......

Not sure who my bubble boy will be. I'll make that call/adjustment after this weekends game. Might have to be a LB'r. Would love to jettison Evans but he has actually been doing OK so far and we need an extra body there because of K-dubbs status.

Again, keep it up. Good stuff.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

FULLBACK (0)
    On the bubble: Ryan D'Imperio, Matt Asiata.

Comment: With versatile tight ends who can play fullback, it seems logical to go that route rather than keep one of two raw fullbacks on the roster.
    CORNERBACK (6)
    Starters: Antoine Winfield, Cedric Griffin.

Backups: Chris Cook, Marcus Sherels, Asher Allen, Brandon Burton.

On the bubble: Cord Parks, Devon Torrence, Tony Carter.

Comment: Another thin position that's weaker because Allen probably has to be kept on the roster despite a toe injury. Torrence's quad injury probably cost him a roster spot, but he's a likely practice-squad candidate.

SAFETY (4)
    Starters: FS Husain Abdullah, SS Jamarca Stanford.

Backups: Tyrell Johnson, Eric Frampton.

On the bubble: Mistral Raymond.

Comment: The team says Sanford and Johnson are still fighting for starting SS spot. Raymond, a rookie sixth-round pick, could beat out Frampton, but it's more logical move is Raymond to the practice squad.

Projected Vikings roster
    Six CB's ehhhhh.

I feel like they need to give Brandon Burton more of a chance, I really have liked what I have seen from him and Sherels. Not overly impressed at all with Cook, but not ready to give up on him because, as we all saw last year, depth is an important factor in deciding how well a team can hold up during the course of a season.
    None

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries

I really hope we keep Farwell, he told PA on KFAN that he think he was gonna make it, but wasn't sure..

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast