Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 34
  1. #21
    smegmavike is offline Coach
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    904
    Quote Originally Posted by tarkenton10 View Post
    I wouldn't say that. The Pukers are probably just behind Sea and SF in the NFC and IMO equal or a little better than NO. The Bores are just a few D players away from contending and the Lions have all kinds of offensive power. If they can fix their back end it could be a three way battle for the division. I would say other than the NFC West, which division do you find tougher?
    I'm going by last year and not by how they look on paper this year. You are right if you look at it from an offensive perspective only, the NFCN is a tough division. But viewing from a defensive perspective, the NFCN was weak and vulnerable, and it showed in the play offs.
    On paper, it would appear that the NFCN will be better as a whole, but I feel there will be some defensive vulnerability that gives the Vikings a chance to turn the division upside down in a short period of time.

  2. #22
    tarkenton10's Avatar
    tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,217
    Quote Originally Posted by smegmavike View Post
    I'm going by last year and not by how they look on paper this year. You are right if you look at it from an offensive perspective only, the NFCN is a tough division. But viewing from a defensive perspective, the NFCN was weak and vulnerable, and it showed in the play offs.
    On paper, it would appear that the NFCN will be better as a whole, but I feel there will be some defensive vulnerability that gives the Vikings a chance to turn the division upside down in a short period of time.

    I agree but when you said it was a weak division it made me pause. What other division is stronger, obviously the NFC West, but other than that a case can be made that we are in the second toughest division in the NFL. It certainly isn't the NFC East, maybe the South is comparable to our division they have Carolina and NO; TB and Atlanta are decent teams.

    The AFC doesn't really have a strong division except maybe the AFC North with Cincy and Balt. Pitt is old and a shell of their former self and Cleveland needs a few players to be competitive (Although, I do like their Defense). The AFC South really has nobody, without Luck, the Colts would be bottom feeders, they have little talent.

    The AFC west has the Broncos and Chiefs but I think the Chiefs will take a step back this year now that they have a second place schedule to play next year. Raiders and Chargers have little talent but are getting better.

    AFC East have the Pats and some good young teams but they still aren't as good as teams in our division.

    By the way I do want to say my surprise team next year will be the Bills. I like their last two drafts and their offseason acquisitions. I think it will be neck and neck for the AFC East crown between the Pats and Bills.

    So when you look at it division by division I think we are in the second or third toughest division in the NFL. I say NFC West is the best and then NFC North and South are pretty even. The AFC hasn't any real power division but the Pats better watch out, the teams in their division are creeping up on them.
    Last edited by tarkenton10; 05-22-2014 at 11:46 AM.

    There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

  3. #23
    smegmavike is offline Coach
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    904
    Quote Originally Posted by tarkenton10 View Post
    I agree but when you said it was a weak division it made me pause. What other division is stronger, obviously the NFC West, but other than that a case can be made that we are in the second toughest division in the NFL. It certainly isn't the NFC East, maybe the South is comparable to our division they have Carolina and NO; TB and Atlanta are decent teams.

    The AFC doesn't really have a strong division except maybe the AFC North with Cincy and Balt. Pitt is old and a shell of their former self and Cleveland needs a few players to be competitive (Although, I do like their Defense). The AFC South really has nobody, without Luck, the Colts would be bottom feeders, they have little talent.

    The AFC west has the Broncos and Chiefs but I think the Chiefs will take a step back this year now that they have a second place schedule to play next year. Raiders and Chargers have little talent but are getting better.

    AFC East have the Pats and some good young teams but they still aren't as good as teams in our division.

    By the way I do want to say my surprise team next year will be the Bills. I like their last two drafts and their offseason acquisitions. I think it will be neck and neck for the AFC East crown between the Pats and Bills.

    So when you look at it division by division I think we are in the second or third toughest division in the NFL. I say NFC West is the best and then NFC North and South are pretty even. The AFC hasn't any real power division but the Pats better watch out, the teams in their division are creeping up on them.
    I see where you are coming from with the Bills, but they are tasked with the same problem the Lions have, a lot of potential, but a losing culture. In fact, the Vikings have failed for so long they have the same challenge.
    Beyond that, I agree with everything you said. The NFCN was near the top despite lousy defenses. The entire league was weak last year, with very few solid teams.
    That is why I feel the Vikings have a chance to turn things around.
    It seems like there a lot of teams with vulnerabilities to be exploited with the right coaching and personnel.
    I guess I'm crazy, but I sense an opportunity to make the playoffs this year, with just a little bit of improvement in Defense and QB play.
    No go ahead and call me crazy, I expect the Vikings to make the playoffs!
    It's the off season and I'm optimistic.

  4. #24
    JPPT1974's Avatar
    JPPT1974 is online now Starter
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    255
    I agree with the rest of the list. But think Teddy B will be the QB when week 1 of season 2014 begins!
    NFL 2013 is Here!

  5. #25
    tarkenton10's Avatar
    tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,217
    Quote Originally Posted by smegmavike View Post
    I see where you are coming from with the Bills, but they are tasked with the same problem the Lions have, a lot of potential, but a losing culture. In fact, the Vikings have failed for so long they have the same challenge.
    Beyond that, I agree with everything you said. The NFCN was near the top despite lousy defenses. The entire league was weak last year, with very few solid teams.
    That is why I feel the Vikings have a chance to turn things around.
    It seems like there a lot of teams with vulnerabilities to be exploited with the right coaching and personnel.
    I guess I'm crazy, but I sense an opportunity to make the playoffs this year, with just a little bit of improvement in Defense and QB play.
    No go ahead and call me crazy, I expect the Vikings to make the playoffs!
    It's the off season and I'm optimistic.
    I like the way you think!!

    There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

  6. #26
    midgensa's Avatar
    midgensa is offline Jersey Retired Free Kick Specialist 3 Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,317
    Quote Originally Posted by JPPT1974 View Post
    I agree with the rest of the list. But think Teddy B will be the QB when week 1 of season 2014 begins!
    Not sure which list you are commenting on ... if you are commenting on my first list ... I have already changed it to Teddy in my later lists!

  7. #27
    midgensa's Avatar
    midgensa is offline Jersey Retired Free Kick Specialist 3 Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,317

    My new predictions

    Figured with ESPN updating their 53-man I would update mine ...

    Never too early to predict the 53-man squad!

    Here is where I see it ... updated on July 31, 2014

    Offense (24)
    QB (3) Teddy Bridgewater, Matt Cassel, Christian Ponder
    RB (4) Adrian Peterson, Jerick McKinnon, Matt Asiata, Jerome Felton
    WR (5) Greg Jennings, Cordarrelle Patterson, Jerome Simpson, Jarius Wright, Adam Theilen
    TE (3) Kyle Rudolph, Rhett Ellison, AC Leonard (Chase Ford on PUP)
    OL (9) John Sullivan, Matt Kalil, Phil Loadholt, David Yankey, Brandon Fusco, Charlie Johnson, Joe Berger, Antonio Richardson, Jeff Baca

    Defense (26)
    DL (8) Everson Griffen, Brian Robison, Scott Crichton, Corey Wootton, Linval Joseph, Sharrif Floyd, Tom Johnson, Shamar Stevens
    LB (7) Chad Greenway, Anthony Barr, Audie Cole, Jasper Brinkley, Michael Mauti, Gerald Hodges, Larry Dean
    CB (6) Xavier Rhodes, Captain Munnerlyn, Derek Cox, Josh Robinson, Jabari Price, Marcus Sherels
    S (5) Harrison Smith, Antone Exum, Jamarca Sanford, Mistral Raymond, Robert Blanton

    Special Teams (3)
    K Blair Walsh
    P Jeff Locke
    LS Cullen Loeffler

    That is ALOT tougher than it looks. There are a few cuts that could easily make it (Sendejo, Brandon Watt, a couple of receivers, Zach Line, Fred Evans)

  8. #28
    smegmavike is offline Coach
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    904
    Quote Originally Posted by midgensa View Post
    Figured with ESPN updating their 53-man I would update mine ...

    Never too early to predict the 53-man squad!

    Here is where I see it ... updated on July 31, 2014

    Offense (24)
    QB (3) Teddy Bridgewater, Matt Cassel, Christian Ponder
    RB (4) Adrian Peterson, Jerick McKinnon, Matt Asiata, Jerome Felton
    WR (5) Greg Jennings, Cordarrelle Patterson, Jerome Simpson, Jarius Wright, Adam Theilen
    TE (3) Kyle Rudolph, Rhett Ellison, AC Leonard (Chase Ford on PUP)
    OL (9) John Sullivan, Matt Kalil, Phil Loadholt, David Yankey, Brandon Fusco, Charlie Johnson, Joe Berger, Antonio Richardson, Jeff Baca

    Defense (26)
    DL (8) Everson Griffen, Brian Robison, Scott Crichton, Corey Wootton, Linval Joseph, Sharrif Floyd, Tom Johnson, Shamar Stevens
    LB (7) Chad Greenway, Anthony Barr, Audie Cole, Jasper Brinkley, Michael Mauti, Gerald Hodges, Larry Dean
    CB (6) Xavier Rhodes, Captain Munnerlyn, Derek Cox, Josh Robinson, Jabari Price, Marcus Sherels
    S (5) Harrison Smith, Antone Exum, Jamarca Sanford, Mistral Raymond, Robert Blanton

    Special Teams (3)
    K Blair Walsh
    P Jeff Locke
    LS Cullen Loeffler

    That is ALOT tougher than it looks. There are a few cuts that could easily make it (Sendejo, Brandon Watt, a couple of receivers, Zach Line, Fred Evans)
    Nicely done. At this point in time, I think anyone left off this list will have a hard time making the 53 man roster barring injury to someone.

  9. #29
    tastywaves's Avatar
    tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,889
    Just saw the first roster released by the Vikings. Noticed they list the WR's in these categories:
    X
    C. Patterson
    A. Thielen
    R. Smith
    K. Jorden
    D. Foster
    A. Cruse


    Z
    G. Jennings
    J. Simpson
    J. Wright
    K. Colter
    E. Lora
    T. Walker

    F
    G. Jennings
    J. Wright
    A. Thielen
    K. Colter

    Y
    K. Rudolph
    R. Ellison
    C. Ford
    A. Leonard
    M. Higgins
    A. Reisner
    I assume rather than putting flanker and slot together as the Z receiver they broke it down.
    X-Split End, Y- Tight End, Z - Slot and F - Flanker and H-Back can be lumped into either fullback or tight end in this case tight end.

    If I have this right, then Simpson is being lumped into the slot pool. I would have thought he would be considered as a split end or flanker. Might not be a good sign for him...unless this has something to do with a possible suspension.

    What I also read into this is that the likely bubble WR's at this point to make the cut are Thielen and Colter.

  10. #30
    midgensa's Avatar
    midgensa is offline Jersey Retired Free Kick Specialist 3 Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,317
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    Just saw the first roster released by the Vikings. Noticed they list the WR's in these categories:


    I assume rather than putting flanker and slot together as the Z receiver they broke it down.
    X-Split End, Y- Tight End, Z - Slot and F - Flanker and H-Back can be lumped into either fullback or tight end in this case tight end.

    If I have this right, then Simpson is being lumped into the slot pool. I would have thought he would be considered as a split end or flanker. Might not be a good sign for him...unless this has something to do with a possible suspension.

    What I also read into this is that the likely bubble WR's at this point to make the cut are Thielen and Colter.
    Yep. I updated my current list to include Theilen slightly before the Vikings released this. I also think Colter is becoming more likely due to suspension probabilty. He seems to be the clear sixth.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •