Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

Pre-TC Look at Vikings' 2012 Roster

Pelissero: Vikings may look better on paper, but division is daunting | 1500 ESPN Twin Cities ? Minnesota Sports News & Opinion (Twins, Vikings, Wolves, Wild, Gophers)

Kind of a nice update on the who's who of our 90 man offseason roster, where the battles are taking place, and where injuries already look like a problem (ie. MLB)

On Sunday, Spielman pointed to the Vikings' defensive backs, receivers, tight ends and offensive line as four groups that looked significantly improved at last week's minicamp than they did at the end of last season.

Pretty sure he had that same list of positions in front of him before FA and the draft, so that comment seems a lil like a slap on his own back!

But, it does look better on paper, especially the competition at DB and WR, where there looks to be some tough cuts coming. I don't see Jenkins getting cut tho, as he fits his role so well, as the big, blocking/possession guy who did have a lot of catches for us last year. IF we keep him with Harvin and Simpson, that leaves only 2 (maybe 3) spots open with 9 guys fighting for them!!

Right now, MLB looks to be our biggest remaining HOLE. The heir-apparent hasn't been on the field and I can't imagine we're going to roll into the season with a rookie starting. Might be time to go ahead and bring back EJ, or take a look at Gary Brackett or ??? Thing is, those guys are the same age with the same years in the league...why wouldn't we stick with the guy who already knows "the language?"
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Here is what I was working on before OTA's.

Rookie Free Agents (13)
    DE Kevin Cyrille, CB Bobby Felder, WR Kamar Jorden, DE Eric Latimore, LB Tyler Nielson, DE Ernest Owusu, LB Corey Paredes, OG Austin Pasztor, DT Tydreke Powell, DT Terrell Resonno, C Quentin Saulsberry, OT Darrion Weems, CB C.C. Whitlock
    Pro/College Tryouts (4)
    DT Chase Baker, RB Derrick Coleman, G Tyler Holmes, DE Anthony Jacobs
    Pre-Draft Signees (6)
    FB Matt Asiata, QB McLeod Bethel-Thompson, LB Solomon Elimimian, WR Kerry Taylor, CB Nick Taylor, OL Jose Valdez
    Returning Veterans (47)
    CB Asher Allen, DE Jared Allen, WR Manny Arceneaux, WR Devin Aromashodu, DL Christian Ballard, OL Joe Berger, LB Jasper Brinkley, OL Pat Brown, CB Brandon Burton, WR Stephen Burton, CB Chris Cook, LB Larry Dean, OG Chris DeGeare, FB Ryan D’Imperio, DT Fred Evans, S Eric Frampton, OL Brandon Fusco, RB Toby Gerhart, LB Chad Greenway, DE Everson Griffen, DT Letroy Guion, WR Percy Harvin, LB Erin Henderson, WR Michael Jenkins, OL Charlie Johnson, P Chris Kluwe, RT Phil Loadholt, LS Cullen Loeffler, OT DeMarcus Love, LB Tyrone McKenzie, RB Adrian Peterson, QB Christian Ponder, S Mistral Raymond, DE D’Aundre Reed, TE Allen Reisner, DE Brian Robison, QB Sage Rosenfels, TE Kyle Rudolph, S Jamarca Sanford, S Andrew Sendejo, CB Marcus Sherels, TE Mickey Shuler, C John Sullivan, RB Jordan Todman, QB Joe Webb, DT Kevin Williams, CB Antoine Winfield
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

To big for one post.......

53 Man Roster/Starters/Backups Cut
    QB
    1 Christian Ponder
    2 Joe Webb
    3 Sage Rosenfels Bethel-Thompson, McLeod QB
    RB
    4 Adrian Peterson Todman, Jordan RB
    5 Toby Gerhart Coleman, Derrick RB
    6 Lex Hilliard
    D'Imperio, Ryan LB
    Fullbacks/H-Backs Felton, Jerome RB/FB
    7 Rhett Ellison Asiata, Matt RB/FB
    WR
    8 Percy Harvin Taylor, Kerry WR
    9 Michael Jenkins Walters, Bryan WR
    10 Jerome Simpson Arceneaux, Emmanuel WR
    11 Greg Childs Aromashodu, Devin WR
    12 Jarius Wright Jorden, Kamar WR
    Burton, Stephen WR
    TE
    13 Kyle Rudolph Shuler, Mickey TE
    14 John Carlson
    15 Allen Reisner
    Tackles
    17 Matt Kalil Murphy., Kevin T
    18 Phil Loadholt Weems, Darrion T
    19 DeMarcus Love Holmes, Tyler T /G
    20 Patrick Brown
    Guards
    21 Charlie Johnson Pasztor, Austin G
    22 Geoff Schwartz Saulsberry, Quentin G /C
    23 Chris DeGeare Brandon Fusco G/C
    Centers
    24 John Sullivan
    25 Joe Berger
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Cornerbacks
    26 Chris Cook Taylor, Nick CB
    27 Antoine Winfield Felder, Bobby DB
    28 Josh Robinson Sherels, Marcus DB
    28 Chris Carr Jones, Reggie DB
    29 Zack Bowman Burton, Brandon DB
    30 Asher Allen Whitlock, C.C. DB
    Safeties
    31 Harrison Smith Sendejo, Andrew S
    32 Mistral Raymond
    33 Robert Blanton
    34 Jamarca Sanford
    35 Eric Frampton
    Defensive Ends
    36 Jared Allen Cyrille, Kevin DE
    37 Brian Robison Owusu, Ernest DE
    38 Everson Griffen Jacobs, Anthony DE
    39 DeAundre Reed Latimore, Eric DE
    Reed, Nick DE
    Defensive Tackles
    40 Kevin Williams Powell, Tydreke DT
    41 Letroy Guion Resonno, Terrell DT
    42 Christian Ballard Baker, Chase DT
    43 Fred Evans
    44 Guyton, Trevor
    Middle Linebackers
    45 Jasper Brinkley Dean, Larry LB
    46 Audie Cole McKenzie, Tyrone LB
    Mitchell, Marvin LB
    Outside Linebackers Paredes, Corey LB
    47 Chad Greenway D'Imperio, Ryan LB/FB
    48 Erin Henderson
    49 Tyler Nielsen
    50 Solomon Elimimian
    ST's
    51 Blair Walsh
    52 Chris Kluwe
    53 Cullen Loeffler
    Practice Squad

After breaking that up, I tend to agree with the Mountain Man that the Mike might be about the only position this year that concerns me, but I like some of the options we have there. Really excited to see what Cole looks like.

Audie Cole*|*North Carolina State,*ILB*:*2012 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile

Audie Cole, ILB, North Carolina State, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

Scout.com: Draft in-depth: LB Audie Cole

One thing to consider when we talk about LB'rs and depth. If you take a look at our new D-coord, I think you might see that we will see a small tweak to our defense. It won't be in the base, we will still see the 4-3, but I think he is going to insert "Packages" that won't have the Mike on the field very much.

Everything I'm seeing has Fusco getting all the no.1 reps at RG so far, but it could be partially due to giving Schwartz more time to heal...? Still, he also plays Center, and you know how we like multi OL backups. I think he sticks from what I'm seeing at the moment.

Cole sounds intriguing with his pass defense skills, but his speed might not be as effective vs. NFL caliber players. He does have the size tho, so with some coaching up...maybe next year?

I think Everson Griffen could be a cool fit for some MLB. He's bigger and faster than Cole, and maybe Brinkley too, and would give us a lil bit of potential for a versatile 3-4/4-3 look. On blitz packages he's got better pass rush moves than either of the other candidates too.

Hasn't Erin Henderson already called some plays for us? I swear I heard about him doing some of that last year...? IF our CBs can stay healthy for a change, more nickel might be a good idea. Gotta love how well Winfield plays vs. the slot, and we might actually have better speed outside with the other guys at this point.

SKOL VIKINGS!!!

...hmm, Cole played much of last year with a broken right hand in a cast. That could likely make your tape look a lil loose and drop you come draft day...could be a bargain.

Another gamble on an injured player tho...seems we've done a ton of that this off season: Gamble on guy's returns from injury and/or suspensions. It's one way to pull off a quick turn around, if enough of your bets win. But I wouldn't want to dip my hand in that pot too often.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Asher Allen retired. The 5-6 cornerback spots should be pretty open, with Zack being vulnerable. He probably does make it though due to experience.

The linebacker positions seem to be the least emphasized this offseason (MLB and depth). No doubt there is concern, just focused on higher priority areas first...secondary, WR, OL.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainviking View Post
    ...hmm, Cole played much of last year with a broken right hand in a cast. That could likely make your tape look a lil loose and drop you come draft day...could be a bargain.

Another gamble on an injured player tho...seems we've done a ton of that this off season: Gamble on guy's returns from injury and/or suspensions. It's one way to pull off a quick turn around, if enough of your bets win. But I wouldn't want to dip my hand in that pot too often.
    I think he will get plenty of opportunity for playing time due to current roster. If he's capable, he'll get his chance. Good situation for him.

Freakout is offline Coordinator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    After breaking that up, I tend to agree with the Mountain Man that the Mike might be about the only position this year that concerns me, but I like some of the options we have there. Really excited to see what Cole looks like.

Audie Cole*|*North Carolina State,*ILB*:*2012 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile

Audie Cole, ILB, North Carolina State, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

Scout.com: Draft in-depth: LB Audie Cole

One thing to consider when we talk about LB'rs and depth. If you take a look at our new D-coord, I think you might see that we will see a small tweak to our defense. It won't be in the base, we will still see the 4-3, but I think he is going to insert "Packages" that won't have the Mike on the field very much.
    You are already kind of forced to play so much nickle with all the pass heavy teams especially in our division.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast