Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 35
  1. #1
    jargomcfargo's Avatar
    jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    4,776

    Pre-Draft Quotes, Spielman

    Found a compilation of pre-draft Spielman quotes over at DN.

    As we all know, draft day is approaching. And the Vikings' primary draft guy, Rick Spielman, has been talking- a lot- about it. And as we all also know, nothing he says can be taken anywhere close to face value.
    Straight from the horses' mouth... what is most likely a load of horse manure. Let's see if any of us can glean an actual prediction out of it all.
    Feb. 3rd- " What we'll do is, as we go through this process and we get everything finalized, we actually put together a, almost like a book on what other teams, what we project them, that they're going to do, But we're hoping, and our goal is to try to get that 3rd rd pick some way, shape or form."- Courtesy KFAN-AM.
    I would like to get the 3rd round pick back, but not to the detriment of who we chose in the first and second rounds. Those picks should be solid gold.

    Feb. 11th- "Joe Webb did (some positive things) toward the end of the season," Spielman told KFAN-AM. "You see some things that are pretty unique. So you're asking yourself if you do draft a quarterback, is Joe Webb your No. 2 quarterback going in or does he come in and compete? Will he continue to progress and utilize all the natural athletic talent that he has because he's a very interesting prospect, too. It doesn't mean we're going to draft one with the 12th overall pick. This is a very deep class of rookie quarterbacks. There are some very good senior quarterbacks that are going to go in the second and third round, too." Courtesy KFAN-AM, via SportingNews feed.
    If they don't think Joe Webb will ever be the guy, they will pick a QB early in the draft, probably at 12, and bring in a vet.
    If they think that Joe Webb could be the guy, they will take someone else in the first round and bring in a vet.
    A QB at 12 is a bad sign for Joe Webbs aspirations to be an NFL QB.

    Feb. 23rd-"Last year's draft was done because we had everybody back. It was done for ... I wouldn't say depth, it was done for the future."-Courtesy Judd Zulgad, Star Tribune.
    Marrdro has been saying this all along. So kudos to Marrdro and thumbs down to Spielman for drafting backups.

    March 9th- "It's all in flux", regarding the next Vikings' #1 QB.
    Enlightening.

    April 5th- "Knowing where we're going to be at, there will be probably five positions that I know we'll look at with our 12th pick. I can tell you this: We're going to take the best player available when it comes to our pick. That I know."
    So much for taking a QB!

    "I still think you can't force quarterback.
    April 15th- "Potentially if one of those receivers slides down to 12 and Sidney Rice doesn't return, there are things you can do to fill that need as well" Courtesy Mike Florio, ProFootballTalk.com.
    We won't know if Rice will return until after the draft. But spielman may have a better idea than us since he has inside information.
    Never the less, there are people you have to take at 12 if they fall to you.
    Julio Jones would be one of those.

    April 16th- "We've always taken the philosophy of trying to get the best available player.
    That has served them well in the first round, but has caused them to reach at times in later rounds. Just like at the end of the season when the staff goes through and evaluates each and every player, I hope they evaluate each and every draft pick the staff makes.

    "It's going to be a unique draft because I think there's going to be a lot of movement on teams moving up and down and teams are really going to focus on, if there's a player they really like, they're going to go after that player."
    This one concerns me in wondering if getting that third pick back is taking a higher priority than who we pick.
    We really came out pretty good on the losing the third pick if you think about it. We traded Childress' job for a third pick!

    "We've been going pretty hard all this week and will finish up on Tuesday and try to finalize things. Our coaches are in right now giving all their opinions and weighing on what the scouts have said and getting the board set", regarding the current 'big draft board' process.- Three quotes courtesy of John Holler, VikingUpdate.com.
    OK. Finally I had to color this one. Primarily because I'm sick of Marty telling everyone that Spielman, and not the head coach has the final say on drafting.

    Truth is, and Marty knows this and has said it before, it's a team effort.
    The scouts present their findings. Studwell coordinates that.
    After the post season evaluations, the coaches(all the coaches) come in with a good idea of their needs and desires, and try to match them up with the scouts prospects.
    It's all synthesized to a draft strategy on the big board.
    It is then Spielmans job to execute the plan.

    So everyone is involved and no one person is responsible.

    It's a concensus when it works the way it should.

    I took great liberty with editing the original article as posted on DN, so I could post some of my pet theories.

    You really should read the original article.

    http://www.dailynorseman.com/2011/4/16/2115296/what-all-has-rick-spielman-been-saying-about-the-draft#storyjump
    What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. Its the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

  2. #2
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,916

    Re: Pre-Draft Quotes, Spielman

    You should have seen me trying to read articles like this on my blackberry while turkey hunting saturday.

    Anyways, thanks for the read doc.

    Few comments.....

    Quote Originally Posted by "jargomcfargo" #1093870
    F
    If they don't think Joe Webb will ever be the guy, they will pick a QB early in the draft, probably at 12, and bring in a vet.
    If they think that Joe Webb could be the guy, they will take someone else in the first round and bring in a vet.
    A QB at 12 is a bad sign for Joe Webbs aspirations to be an NFL QB.
    Why couldn't Webb develop into a very nice backup? Just cause they find someone that is a better option as a starter doesn't mean ole Joe needs to hang up his cleats.

    As we saw over the last few years, our backups get on the field alot, mostly cause of the scheme. In a WCO, the QB gets hit alot.


    Feb. 23rd-"Last year's draft was done because we had everybody back. It was done for ... I wouldn't say depth, it was done for the future."-Courtesy Judd Zulgad, Star Tribune.
    Marrdro has been saying this all along. So kudos to Marrdro and thumbs down to Spielman for drafting backups.
    Go back and look at the roster though my friend. Did you really think they were drafting starters at that point?

    No one they brought in, were we drafted, was gonna crack the lineup unless someone went down.

    The "Backups" they drafted, in fact, stepped in on several occasions and became viable starters.

    Kudos to the staff for knowing what areas to draft those cats at and kudos to the coaching staff for getting those "Backups" ready to be "Starters".

    "We've been going pretty hard all this week and will finish up on Tuesday and try to finalize things. Our coaches are in right now giving all their opinions and weighing on what the scouts have said and getting the board set", regarding the current 'big draft board' process.- Three quotes courtesy of John Holler, VikingUpdate.com.
    OK. Finally I had to color this one. Primarily because I'm sick of Marty telling everyone that Spielman, and not the head coach has the final say on drafting.

    Truth is, and Marty knows this and has said it before, it's a team effort.
    The scouts present their findings. Studwell coordinates that.
    After the post season evaluations, the coaches(all the coaches) come in with a good idea of their needs and desires, and try to match them up with the scouts prospects.
    It's all synthesized to a draft strategy on the big board.
    It is then Spielmans job to execute the plan.

    So everyone is involved and no one person is responsible.

    It's a concensus when it works the way it should.
    A tear can be seen on Marrdro's cheek as he realizes someone has been listening after all.

    A big "Guy to Guy" smoochie emoticon for you doc. :kiss: :blush:
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  3. #3
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,916

    Re: Pre-Draft Quotes, Spielman

    Some of my favorite nuggets....

    April 15th- "Potentially if one of those receivers slides down to 12 and Sidney Rice doesn't return, there are things you can do to fill that need as well", regarding top-ranked receivers A.J. Green and Julio Jones. Courtesy Mike Florio, ProFootballTalk.com.
    I think this is the only chance they have of getting someone to trade up with them. Show interest in the WR's that might slip to us if 3 QB's go ahead of the 12th pick.

    I don't think he is correct with the following statement.....

    It's going to be a unique draft because I think there's going to be a lot of movement on teams moving up and down and teams are really going to focus on, if there's a player they really like, they're going to go after that player."
    I think you really have to look alot closer at what he said just before that.

    "The thing that's different this year from the past is that you had an idea what teams did in trades and what they did in the UFA market where they may have filled some of those needs. Going into this draft, no one has filled any needs on their roster yet.
    Because teams haven't done anything to address their issues from last year, the rookie pool will be the first and primary option to do that so every pick will be valuable.

    For instance, maybe a teams coaching staff said to the GM, "Our biggest need is a big possesion type WR this year.

    The scouts on both sides of the ball (Vet and Rook) have compiled a list of candidates were the coaching staff has the vet higher than the rooks.

    In short, a staff now has to use a pick on a WR were before they were going to target a Vet thus making every pick valuable to the point a team wouldn't want to give up 2 additions just to get one.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  4. #4
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,916

    Re: Pre-Draft Quotes, Spielman

    Another article on the same subject with similiar quotes.

    Im sure its hard enough to evaluate an entire draft class, give each player a grade and then stack a draft board that both ranks players in the correct order and also provides a framework to fill holes on a 53-man roster. But adding to the difficult for NFL personnel departments this time of year is the fact that its crucial to have a good understanding of not just how you want to behave during the draft, but also how the other teams are going to behave at the same time.

    Thats the task at hand for Vikings VP of Player Personnel Rick Spielman, who organizes the Vikings efforts on draft day. Each year hes not only trying to figure out who the Vikings like, hes trying to figure out which players other teams like and which players theyre likely to take. This is especially the case for teams ahead of the Vikings. In order to be sufficiently prepared to make a decision with the 12th overall pick in the 1st round, Spielman needs to figure out what will happen in the first 11 picks.

    I have a pretty good idea right now of whos going to be there when were picking, Spielman said last week while appearing on Pro Football Talk Live with Mike Florio. What Ill do is Ill sit down with (head coach) Leslie (Frazier) and Ill sit down with ownership once we get our board settled and solidified and then well go ahead and go through those options.
    Making A Tough Task Even Tougher

    So lets see.......

    1. He has a board ranked based on what the coaching staff said they think is their priority of need.

    2. The scouts have come up with a list of candidates that the coaches agree fit that need.

    3. He has run some mock scenarios and knows who (or atleast has a good idea) who will be gone and who will be available at each pick.

    4. He then sits down with the HC and the Owner and goes over what he will do based on those availabilities.

    5. He gets buy in from those two entities

    6. He drafts.

    Hmmmmmmmmmm, just about covers what I believe with one exception, I think that there is a 7th step.....

    7. Lets not forget that even though he has a good idea, there is still the possiblity that a cat like the chucklehead Al (the Raiders) will go ahead and take a cat long before he is projected to go, which will result in another good player slipping on the boards.

    If the scenarios don't play out like he anticipates, because of actions like the Raiders, he will clear any changes to the plan with the HC and the Owner during draft day.

    On a side note, does anyone on here think that the HC for the Raiders makes the draft picks for that team based on his ego? :P :woohoo:
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  5. #5
    tastywaves's Avatar
    tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,869

    Re: Pre-Draft Quotes, Spielman

    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1093913
    Another article on the same subject with similiar quotes.

    Im sure its hard enough to evaluate an entire draft class, give each player a grade and then stack a draft board that both ranks players in the correct order and also provides a framework to fill holes on a 53-man roster. But adding to the difficult for NFL personnel departments this time of year is the fact that its crucial to have a good understanding of not just how you want to behave during the draft, but also how the other teams are going to behave at the same time.

    Thats the task at hand for Vikings VP of Player Personnel Rick Spielman, who organizes the Vikings efforts on draft day. Each year hes not only trying to figure out who the Vikings like, hes trying to figure out which players other teams like and which players theyre likely to take. This is especially the case for teams ahead of the Vikings. In order to be sufficiently prepared to make a decision with the 12th overall pick in the 1st round, Spielman needs to figure out what will happen in the first 11 picks.

    I have a pretty good idea right now of whos going to be there when were picking, Spielman said last week while appearing on Pro Football Talk Live with Mike Florio. What Ill do is Ill sit down with (head coach) Leslie (Frazier) and Ill sit down with ownership once we get our board settled and solidified and then well go ahead and go through those options.
    Making A Tough Task Even Tougher

    So lets see.......

    1. He has a board ranked based on what the coaching staff said they think is their priority of need.

    2. The scouts have come up with a list of candidates that the coaches agree fit that need.

    3. He has run some mock scenarios and knows who (or atleast has a good idea) who will be gone and who will be available at each pick.

    4. He then sits down with the HC and the Owner and goes over what he will do based on those availabilities.

    5. He gets buy in from those two entities

    6. He drafts.

    Hmmmmmmmmmm, just about covers what I believe with one exception, I think that there is a 7th step.....

    7. Lets not forget that even though he has a good idea, there is still the possiblity that a cat like the chucklehead Al (the Raiders) will go ahead and take a cat long before he is projected to go, which will result in another good player slipping on the boards.

    If the scenarios don't play out like he anticipates, because of actions like the Raiders, he will clear any changes to the plan with the HC and the Owner during draft day.

    On a side note, does anyone on here think that the HC for the Raiders makes the draft picks for that team based on his ego? :P :woohoo:

    In this draft it appears that there is top 12 talent with 2 QB's, 3 DE's, 2 DT's, 2 WR's, 1-2 OT's, 1 LB and 2 CB's (yes, I know that's more than 12). Since those are all high positions of need for the Vikings (except arguably LB, although Vonn would be a steal at #12), I would guess that they will have a good option at #12 that overlays with a need. The luxury of picking the BPA at a position of need appears to be lining up for the Vikings this year. Unless Spielman tries and get too clever with his wheeling and dealing and it backfires on him.

    Question marks are guys like Locker, where much speculation is stirring. I've seen a number of folks pick him as early as #10 with the Redskins and as low as late 1st round. If the Vikings are sold on this guy, will Spielman take a chance and trade down?

  6. #6
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,916

    Re: Pre-Draft Quotes, Spielman

    Quote Originally Posted by "tastywaves" #1093938
    In this draft it appears that there is top 12 talent with 2 QB's, 3 DE's, 2 DT's, 2 WR's, 1-2 OT's, 1 LB and 2 CB's (yes, I know that's more than 12). Since those are all high positions of need for the Vikings (except arguably LB, although Vonn would be a steal at #12), I would guess that they will have a good option at #12 that overlays with a need. The luxury of picking the BPA at a position of need appears to be lining up for the Vikings this year. Unless Spielman tries and get too clever with his wheeling and dealing and it backfires on him.

    Question marks are guys like Locker, where much speculation is stirring. I've seen a number of folks pick him as early as #10 with the Redskins and as low as late 1st round. If the Vikings are sold on this guy, will Spielman take a chance and trade down?
    I see my good friend Tasty isn't afraid to comment in this thread.

    Wonder were all the "Childress did everything" cats are at in a fine thread like this.

    As to your post. I keep racking my brain and I just don't see who he will get to be that trading partner. Mostly cause I don't see anyone at 12 that someone would covet that bad to give up the extra picks.

    The 12th pick = 1200 pts.

    Lets use the Pats as an example because they are the most often talked about.....

    1st Round #17 = 950
    1st Round #28 = 660
    2nd Round #33 = 580
    2nd Round #60 = 300
    3rd Round #74 = 220
    3rd Round #92 = 132
    4th Round #125 = 47
    5th Round #159 = 27.8
    6th Round #193 = 14.2

    If they gave us they wanted to they could give us their 17th, but would also have to give thier 74th and 159th. Again, who would be there at 12 that the Pats couldn't possibly get at 15 that they would like so much.

    What if they gave us their 28th they would also have to give up their 60th, 74th and either their 159th (makes them over points) or 193 (makes them slightly under). Regardles, again, they would have to give up 4 additional picks with their first to get that guy.

    Again, I just don't see anyone there at 12 worth that many picks. If the Pats are moving up its going to be into the top 10 and it will be for someone on the defensive side of the ball IMHO.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  7. #7
    Caine's Avatar
    Caine is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    5,139

    Re: Pre-Draft Quotes, Spielman

    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1093913
    Another article on the same subject with similiar quotes.

    Im sure its hard enough to evaluate an entire draft class, give each player a grade and then stack a draft board that both ranks players in the correct order and also provides a framework to fill holes on a 53-man roster. But adding to the difficult for NFL personnel departments this time of year is the fact that its crucial to have a good understanding of not just how you want to behave during the draft, but also how the other teams are going to behave at the same time.

    Thats the task at hand for Vikings VP of Player Personnel Rick Spielman, who organizes the Vikings efforts on draft day. Each year hes not only trying to figure out who the Vikings like, hes trying to figure out which players other teams like and which players theyre likely to take. This is especially the case for teams ahead of the Vikings. In order to be sufficiently prepared to make a decision with the 12th overall pick in the 1st round, Spielman needs to figure out what will happen in the first 11 picks.

    I have a pretty good idea right now of whos going to be there when were picking, Spielman said last week while appearing on Pro Football Talk Live with Mike Florio. What Ill do is Ill sit down with (head coach) Leslie (Frazier) and Ill sit down with ownership once we get our board settled and solidified and then well go ahead and go through those options.
    Making A Tough Task Even Tougher

    So lets see.......

    1. He has a board ranked based on what the coaching staff said they think is their priority of need.

    2. The scouts have come up with a list of candidates that the coaches agree fit that need.

    3. He has run some mock scenarios and knows who (or atleast has a good idea) who will be gone and who will be available at each pick.

    4. He then sits down with the HC and the Owner and goes over what he will do based on those availabilities.

    5. He gets buy in from those two entities

    6. He drafts.

    Hmmmmmmmmmm, just about covers what I believe with one exception, I think that there is a 7th step.....

    7. Lets not forget that even though he has a good idea, there is still the possiblity that a cat like the chucklehead Al (the Raiders) will go ahead and take a cat long before he is projected to go, which will result in another good player slipping on the boards.

    If the scenarios don't play out like he anticipates, because of actions like the Raiders, he will clear any changes to the plan with the HC and the Owner during draft day.

    On a side note, does anyone on here think that the HC for the Raiders makes the draft picks for that team based on his ego? :P :woohoo:
    What Spielman does under Frazier doesn't prove or disprove what his role was under Chiller. The fact remains that a very compelling argument exists for the continued belief that Chiller exercised an inordinate amount of control over the process during his tenure...especially since he was in place BEFORE Spielman got here.

    Another point I briefly wanted to address was that of Joe Webb. You said,"Why couldn't Webb develop into a very nice backup? Just cause they find someone that is a better option as a starter doesn't mean ole Joe needs to hang up his cleats."...and while that's true, that's not the point. The point is that there doesn't seem to be a high level buy-in on Joe Webb...nothing like what we saw for Tarvaris Jackson. The goal of most NFL players is to start...while you can have a nice career as a back up, I doubt many are happy being there.

    If Webb isn't being seriously considered as a potential future starter, his career life span is limited. He's expendable. As soon as someone with legit potential hits the roster, Joe slips. If he slips too far, he's gone...and not too many teams are looking for 6th round project guys..

    That's not a predictor of Joe's career path, just an observation and projection based upon the LACK of high level buy-in seen to date.

    Caine

  8. #8
    marshallvike's Avatar
    marshallvike is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Posts
    2,471

    Re: Pre-Draft Quotes, Spielman

    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1093990
    Quote Originally Posted by "tastywaves" #1093938
    In this draft it appears that there is top 12 talent with 2 QB's, 3 DE's, 2 DT's, 2 WR's, 1-2 OT's, 1 LB and 2 CB's (yes, I know that's more than 12). Since those are all high positions of need for the Vikings (except arguably LB, although Vonn would be a steal at #12), I would guess that they will have a good option at #12 that overlays with a need. The luxury of picking the BPA at a position of need appears to be lining up for the Vikings this year. Unless Spielman tries and get too clever with his wheeling and dealing and it backfires on him.

    Question marks are guys like Locker, where much speculation is stirring. I've seen a number of folks pick him as early as #10 with the Redskins and as low as late 1st round. If the Vikings are sold on this guy, will Spielman take a chance and trade down?
    I see my good friend Tasty isn't afraid to comment in this thread.

    Wonder were all the "Childress did everything" cats are at in a fine thread like this.

    As to your post. I keep racking my brain and I just don't see who he will get to be that trading partner. Mostly cause I don't see anyone at 12 that someone would covet that bad to give up the extra picks.

    The 12th pick = 1200 pts.

    Lets use the Pats as an example because they are the most often talked about.....

    1st Round #17 = 950
    1st Round #28 = 660
    2nd Round #33 = 580
    2nd Round #60 = 300
    3rd Round #74 = 220
    3rd Round #92 = 132
    4th Round #125 = 47
    5th Round #159 = 27.8
    6th Round #193 = 14.2

    If they gave us they wanted to they could give us their 17th, but would also have to give thier 74th and 159th. Again, who would be there at 12 that the Pats couldn't possibly get at 15 that they would like so much.

    What if they gave us their 28th they would also have to give up their 60th, 74th and either their 159th (makes them over points) or 193 (makes them slightly under). Regardles, again, they would have to give up 4 additional picks with their first to get that guy.

    Again, I just don't see anyone there at 12 worth that many picks. If the Pats are moving up its going to be into the top 10 and it will be for someone on the defensive side of the ball IMHO.
    Childress is no longer in the way. Now maybe Spielman can do his job. If Leslie turns this thing around in a big way, he will have more power in the war room.
    The Patriots are not a franchise that trades up. They feel they will be able to pick a good player at any spot in the draft. As much as I would like to see a trade with them, I do not believe irt would happen.
    On a side note;
    I believe the draft value table has become more relevent this year than it has been in a number of years. The expected rookie wage scale has done that for everyone. The past few years picks at the top of the draft were not as advantagious as they should have been as a result of the amount of money that was required to sign those picks. That left less money available to sign free agents to help a weak team in other areas. If those picks did not work out, your franchise was set back years. It is good to see a rookie salary scale coming in to help out the weaker franchises have the ability to turn things around. Sorry to get side tracked, but your value table made me think about it.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

  9. #9
    tastywaves's Avatar
    tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,869

    Re: Pre-Draft Quotes, Spielman

    Quote Originally Posted by "marshallvike" #1093995
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1093990
    Quote Originally Posted by "tastywaves" #1093938
    In this draft it appears that there is top 12 talent with 2 QB's, 3 DE's, 2 DT's, 2 WR's, 1-2 OT's, 1 LB and 2 CB's (yes, I know that's more than 12). Since those are all high positions of need for the Vikings (except arguably LB, although Vonn would be a steal at #12), I would guess that they will have a good option at #12 that overlays with a need. The luxury of picking the BPA at a position of need appears to be lining up for the Vikings this year. Unless Spielman tries and get too clever with his wheeling and dealing and it backfires on him.

    Question marks are guys like Locker, where much speculation is stirring. I've seen a number of folks pick him as early as #10 with the Redskins and as low as late 1st round. If the Vikings are sold on this guy, will Spielman take a chance and trade down?
    I see my good friend Tasty isn't afraid to comment in this thread.

    Wonder were all the "Childress did everything" cats are at in a fine thread like this.

    As to your post. I keep racking my brain and I just don't see who he will get to be that trading partner. Mostly cause I don't see anyone at 12 that someone would covet that bad to give up the extra picks.

    The 12th pick = 1200 pts.

    Lets use the Pats as an example because they are the most often talked about.....

    1st Round #17 = 950
    1st Round #28 = 660
    2nd Round #33 = 580
    2nd Round #60 = 300
    3rd Round #74 = 220
    3rd Round #92 = 132
    4th Round #125 = 47
    5th Round #159 = 27.8
    6th Round #193 = 14.2

    If they gave us they wanted to they could give us their 17th, but would also have to give thier 74th and 159th. Again, who would be there at 12 that the Pats couldn't possibly get at 15 that they would like so much.

    What if they gave us their 28th they would also have to give up their 60th, 74th and either their 159th (makes them over points) or 193 (makes them slightly under). Regardles, again, they would have to give up 4 additional picks with their first to get that guy.

    Again, I just don't see anyone there at 12 worth that many picks. If the Pats are moving up its going to be into the top 10 and it will be for someone on the defensive side of the ball IMHO.
    Childress is no longer in the way. Now maybe Spielman can do his job. If Leslie turns this thing around in a big way, he will have more power in the war room.
    The Patriots are not a franchise that trades up. They feel they will be able to pick a good player at any spot in the draft. As much as I would like to see a trade with them, I do not believe irt would happen.
    On a side note;
    I believe the draft value table has become more relevent this year than it has been in a number of years. The expected rookie wage scale has done that for everyone. The past few years picks at the top of the draft were not as advantagious as they should have been as a result of the amount of money that was required to sign those picks. That left less money available to sign free agents to help a weak team in other areas. If those picks did not work out, your franchise was set back years. It is good to see a rookie salary scale coming in to help out the weaker franchises have the ability to turn things around. Sorry to get side tracked, but your value table made me think about it.
    If indeed a rookie salary cap is put in place, which appears to be the case. Then that is a very valid observation. If you can get a top 10 pick without superstar payouts then they will be become much more prized positions.

    For this year, will there be enough certainty as to what a rookie salary cap will be in order for teams to act on it? I haven't kept up on this issue. Is there a general prognosis of what it will look like? Is the term of the contract going to be fixed as well?

  10. #10
    marshallvike's Avatar
    marshallvike is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Posts
    2,471

    Re: Pre-Draft Quotes, Spielman

    Quote Originally Posted by "tastywaves" #1093998
    Quote Originally Posted by "marshallvike" #1093995
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1093990
    Quote Originally Posted by "tastywaves" #1093938
    In this draft it appears that there is top 12 talent with 2 QB's, 3 DE's, 2 DT's, 2 WR's, 1-2 OT's, 1 LB and 2 CB's (yes, I know that's more than 12). Since those are all high positions of need for the Vikings (except arguably LB, although Vonn would be a steal at #12), I would guess that they will have a good option at #12 that overlays with a need. The luxury of picking the BPA at a position of need appears to be lining up for the Vikings this year. Unless Spielman tries and get too clever with his wheeling and dealing and it backfires on him.

    Question marks are guys like Locker, where much speculation is stirring. I've seen a number of folks pick him as early as #10 with the Redskins and as low as late 1st round. If the Vikings are sold on this guy, will Spielman take a chance and trade down?
    I see my good friend Tasty isn't afraid to comment in this thread.

    Wonder were all the "Childress did everything" cats are at in a fine thread like this.

    As to your post. I keep racking my brain and I just don't see who he will get to be that trading partner. Mostly cause I don't see anyone at 12 that someone would covet that bad to give up the extra picks.

    The 12th pick = 1200 pts.

    Lets use the Pats as an example because they are the most often talked about.....

    1st Round #17 = 950
    1st Round #28 = 660
    2nd Round #33 = 580
    2nd Round #60 = 300
    3rd Round #74 = 220
    3rd Round #92 = 132
    4th Round #125 = 47
    5th Round #159 = 27.8
    6th Round #193 = 14.2

    If they gave us they wanted to they could give us their 17th, but would also have to give thier 74th and 159th. Again, who would be there at 12 that the Pats couldn't possibly get at 15 that they would like so much.

    What if they gave us their 28th they would also have to give up their 60th, 74th and either their 159th (makes them over points) or 193 (makes them slightly under). Regardles, again, they would have to give up 4 additional picks with their first to get that guy.

    Again, I just don't see anyone there at 12 worth that many picks. If the Pats are moving up its going to be into the top 10 and it will be for someone on the defensive side of the ball IMHO.
    Childress is no longer in the way. Now maybe Spielman can do his job. If Leslie turns this thing around in a big way, he will have more power in the war room.
    The Patriots are not a franchise that trades up. They feel they will be able to pick a good player at any spot in the draft. As much as I would like to see a trade with them, I do not believe irt would happen.
    On a side note;
    I believe the draft value table has become more relevent this year than it has been in a number of years. The expected rookie wage scale has done that for everyone. The past few years picks at the top of the draft were not as advantagious as they should have been as a result of the amount of money that was required to sign those picks. That left less money available to sign free agents to help a weak team in other areas. If those picks did not work out, your franchise was set back years. It is good to see a rookie salary scale coming in to help out the weaker franchises have the ability to turn things around. Sorry to get side tracked, but your value table made me think about it.
    If indeed a rookie salary cap is put in place, which appears to be the case. Then that is a very valid observation. If you can get a top 10 pick without superstar payouts then they will be become much more prized positions.

    For this year, will there be enough certainty as to what a rookie salary cap will be in order for teams to act on it? I haven't kept up on this issue. Is there a general prognosis of what it will look like? Is the term of the contract going to be fixed as well?
    Found this on the Nat'l Football Post

    http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/The-Rookie-Sacrifice-NFL-NFLPA-proposals-unveiled.html

    Players proposal.
    Maximum contract length of four years for players drafted in rounds 1-3; and three years for players drafted in rounds 4-7. This would allow players to hit their leverage points in free agency sooner. Current maximum lengths are up to six years for picks 1-16, up to five years for picks 17-32 and up to four years for all other rounds. Most teams, as I did with the Packers, negotiate five-year deals for first-round players and four-year deals for all others
    Owners proposal.
    ?Mandatory length of five years for players drafted in the first round; mandatory length of four years for all other draftees. Unlike the present system, these lengths would be non-negotiable. The lengths would buy out a year of unrestricted free agency from first-round picks and a year of restricted free agency from other draftees. The NFLPA suggests these contract lengths will reduce the market value of 60% of all NFL players. However, as it currently stands in the NFL, the vast majority of drafted rookies are under contract for at least four years, so the change would not be drastic.
    ?Pre-defined bonus and salaries depending on draft position. This is a major request and would eliminate the need for player agents to negotiate for players and also the workload of team contract negotiators and Cap managers. Naturally, agents are imploring the union to not allow for a no-negotiation process for rookies.
    There is more, just didn't want to copy the whole thing.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. VP of player personnel Spielman talks Draft/FA
    By Marrdro in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-18-2011, 04:10 PM
  2. Spielman: Vikings already have narrowed the draft field
    By singersp in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 82
    Last Post: 04-29-2009, 09:21 AM
  3. Spielman: Draft is bloodline of your organization
    By singersp in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 03-11-2009, 02:23 PM
  4. Spielman explains draft day dealings
    By singersp in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-11-2008, 06:51 PM
  5. The Week in Quotes: Draft Edition
    By cogitans in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-05-2007, 04:42 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •