singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Practice cut short as players fall

Published August 10, 2006 01:07 am

The Vikings shortened their morning practice and canceled the afternoon workout.

[size=18px]Practice cut as players fall[/size]

By Chad Courrier
    The Free Press

MANKATO —
    Injuries continue to mount for the Minnesota Vikings, and perhaps in an effort to give the players more rest and less contact, coach Brad Childress called off the morning practice 30 minutes early and the short, no-pads afternoon practice was canceled.

Receiver Marcus Robinson, running back Ciatrick Fason and tackle Bryant McKinnie each left practice early Wednesday, though none of the injuries appeared to be serious. Robinson “tweaked” a neck injury, and he returned to the practice field but did not participate in any drills. Fason suffered a concussion during a goal-line drill, and after trainers attended to him on the field, Fason walked to the locker room under his own power, shaking his head. McKinnie had a hand injury, and his right wrist and hand were heavily taped before practice. McKinnie walked off the field accompanied by trainers.

Free-agent linebacker Marcus Lawrence also missed practice with an unknown injury.

“We tell the guys to come out here and do what we do and trust that we’ll have their overall best interest at heart, in terms of taking care of them,” defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin said.

The amount of contact has been an issue at camp since players started getting injured. Childress said on Tuesday that some contact is necessary, and there is one live period scheduled every day. He was not available to comment on Wednesday.

Safety Darren Sharper had a hamstring strain on Tuesday, but he was back on the field Wednesday, participating in some of the drills. Running back Chester Taylor (groin), defensive lineman Kevin Williams (knee) and linebacker Chad Greenway (concussion) have all missed practice time in the last week because of injury, though each has since returned to the field. Safety Tank Williams was lost to a knee injury on Tuesday, but that injury was not caused by contact.

Interceptions aplenty

During a seven-on-seven drill, the Vikings’ defense made several good plays, including interceptions by linebacker Kyle McKenzie and cornerback Dustin Fox. Cornerbacks Ronyell Whitaker and Dovonte Edwards both made diving breakups.

“I think things are starting to click, and we’re coming together as a defense,” Whitaker said. “There’s a lot of competition out there, we’re just trying to find out who meshes with who. We’re raising the level of competition, and the guys want to compete.”

Tomlin said it’s nice to see interceptions, but he also knows the defense has to make more traditional three-and-out stops, too.

“You take it when you can get it,” Tomlin said.

Notes

Backup quarterback Mike McMahon and long-snapper Cullen Loeffler were the last players on the practice field, as McMahon worked on his holding skills. Punter Chris Kluwe is listed as the primary holder, with quarterback Brad Johnson as the backup. However, starting quarterbacks are rarely the holder, except in emergencies. “I’ve done it in the past,” McMahon said. “I was just working on it because you never know.” ...

Left guard Artis Hicks manhandled rookie defensive end Ray Edwards during consecutive pass-rushing drills. ...

Free agent receiver Chris Jones made the prettiest catch of the day, diving for an out route, but then he dropped the next pass as he cut across the middle.

Practice cut as players fall

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

vike_mike is offline Pro-Bowler

Re: Practice cut short as players fall

I still like to hear how we are knocking the piss out of people. That reminds me of the old Purple people eaters. Gotta get it done. Hate to see the injuries though. Our depth is looking a bit depleted.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

During a seven-on-seven drill, the Vikings’ defense made several good plays, including interceptions by linebacker Kyle McKenzie and cornerback Dustin Fox. Cornerbacks Ronyell Whitaker and Dovonte Edwards both made diving breakups.

I saw a highlight of this on Huddle Up last night and after Fox intercepted the pass he tucked the ball in and started to run towards the sideline, and the ball popped out of his grasp for no reason. Then he was going to just let it go and one of the coaches yelled something at him from the sideline and then Fox went after it like it was a live ball.

From the video it didn't look like Dustin did himself any favors by getting the INT and then fumbling it away, the coach on the sideline looked pissed.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

It's good to hear the back up players are doing well also.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

"whackthepack" wrote:

I saw a highlight of this on Huddle Up last night and after Fox intercepted the pass he tucked the ball in and started to run towards the sideline, and the ball popped out of his grasp for no reason. Then he was going to just let it go and one of the coaches yelled something at him from the sideline and then Fox went after it like it was a live ball.

From the video it didn't look like Dustin did himself any favors by getting the INT and then fumbling it away, the coach on the sideline looked pissed.

I saw that as well and didnt like it.Hes a young guy tho,he's gotta learn to protect that ball.

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater