Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    gagarr is offline Team Alumni

Is a potential lockout affecting signings?

Do you think the potential of a lockout is affecting signings this year, as players might not get paid next year, they are wanting more signing $$$ than in the past?

Is this year a bit different then in the past with so few signings especially in the 1st rounders?

I know the domino’s fall pretty quick once the #1 is signed, but were only 11 days away and several have issues where they were drafted and want more $$$ because of it. Suh, wants more money than his starting QB, Stafford. Clausen wants franchise QB money even though he’s a 2nd rounder and will start as a backup.

I think this year will have a record # of holdouts going into training camp.
    [size=12pt]
    Page 148.5 **Doleman 150.5 **Randle 137.5 **Allen 73+
    [/size]

swardsooner is offline Rookie

Re: Is a potential lockout affecting signings?

Clausen is a joke...Terry Bradshaw called him "just another guy" with his bad throwing motion. It's no wonder he was picked up so much later than the draft gurus prognosticated. Pro DB's will have a field day with him...bust!

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

Re:Is a potential lockout affecting signings?

gagarr wrote:
    Do you think the potential of a lockout is affecting signings this year, as players might not get paid next year, they are wanting more signing $$$ than in the past?

Is this year a bit different then in the past with so few signings especially in the 1st rounders?

I know the domino’s fall pretty quick once the #1 is signed, but were only 11 days away and several have issues where they were drafted and want more $$$ because of it. Suh, wants more money than his starting QB, Stafford. Clausen wants franchise QB money even though he’s a 2nd rounder and will start as a backup.

I think it goes much deeper than that. Goodell has already publicly stated what everyone else in America thinks - that Rookie contracts are ridiculous. Why spend 30 million GUARANTEED dollars on a guy who has yet to play a single down in the NFL?

Couple that with the Owner's contention that the Player salaries are WAY out of line with respect to their revenues.

Green Bay's books were revealed recently, and the ownership group is using that as the basis for showing how out of line player salaries have become. Green Bay made more money overall, but with rising player costs, the profit margin is down.

The owners opted out of the CBA early for a reason...they're going to try and leverage a lock out against lowering player costs. With that goal in mind, why would they turn around and begin the cycle of insane rookie spending all over again?

On the flip side, the rookies see this as their due...especially the premier names. They have grown up with the idea that a 1st round selection - or a huge media presence - translates to huge NFL guaranteed dollars. After all, it always HAS. So no rookie - or more precisely, no rookie's AGENT - wants to be the first to take LESS. They have made more year after year, and they all want that trend to continue.

In a way, this is simply an extension of the Ray Edwards issue...a situation where a guy thinks he DESERVES more money, but a wrinkle in the plan (the CBA being rejected early) derailed that notion.

All told, I think we're going to see another NHL-style money fight between the NFL and the NFLPA...and if they're not real careful the NFLPA will shoot itself in the foot. Their salaries ARE out of line, especially rookie salaries. And if they don't agree to take steps to curb the out of control spending caused by insane player demands, I can see a public backlash - especially with us being in a recession.

Caine

Caine wrote:
    gagarr wrote:

I agree with what you are saying Caine. The only thing I would also add is that the revenue sharing plan that was discontinued recently is one of the primary factors in the Packers, and every other small market teams dwindling profits.

Player costs have increased but teams like GB, Minnesota, Buffalo etc rely on additional revenues from Phi, Wash, Dal, NY etc in order to enhance some of the shortfalls they face due to a smaller market.

I too agree that we will see a lockout and it will be very difficult to stomach. I just hope that the league and players union can get the revenue sharing idea back on the books.

I hated it when baseball and hockey did this, but if we have to sit without football next fall its gonna be rough!

I think it goes much deeper than that. Goodell has already publicly stated what everyone else in America thinks - that Rookie contracts are ridiculous. Why spend 30 million GUARANTEED dollars on a guy who has yet to play a single down in the NFL?

Couple that with the Owner's contention that the Player salaries are WAY out of line with respect to their revenues.

Green Bay's books were revealed recently, and the ownership group is using that as the basis for showing how out of line player salaries have become. Green Bay made more money overall, but with rising player costs, the profit margin is down.

The owners opted out of the CBA early for a reason...they're going to try and leverage a lock out against lowering player costs. With that goal in mind, why would they turn around and begin the cycle of insane rookie spending all over again?

On the flip side, the rookies see this as their due...especially the premier names. They have grown up with the idea that a 1st round selection - or a huge media presence - translates to huge NFL guaranteed dollars. After all, it always HAS. So no rookie - or more precisely, no rookie's AGENT - wants to be the first to take LESS. They have made more year after year, and they all want that trend to continue.

In a way, this is simply an extension of the Ray Edwards issue...a situation where a guy thinks he DESERVES more money, but a wrinkle in the plan (the CBA being rejected early) derailed that notion.

All told, I think we're going to see another NHL-style money fight between the NFL and the NFLPA...and if they're not real careful the NFLPA will shoot itself in the foot. Their salaries ARE out of line, especially rookie salaries. And if they don't agree to take steps to curb the out of control spending caused by insane player demands, I can see a public backlash - especially with us being in a recession.

Caine

Lets try that again....

I agree with what you are saying Caine. The only thing I would also add is that the revenue sharing plan that was discontinued recently is one of the primary factors in the Packers, and every other small market teams dwindling profits.

Player costs have increased but teams like GB, Minnesota, Buffalo etc rely on additional revenues from Phi, Wash, Dal, NY etc in order to enhance some of the shortfalls they face due to a smaller market.

I too agree that we will see a lockout and it will be very difficult to stomach. I just hope that the league and players union can get the revenue sharing idea back on the books.

I hated it when baseball and hockey did this, but if we have to sit without football next fall its gonna be rough!

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

slavinator wrote:
    Not if the Vikings win the Super Bowl this year! An extra year of being CHAMPIONS!

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Zeus wrote:
    slavinator wrote:
    Not if the Vikings win the Super Bowl this year! An extra year of being CHAMPIONS!

=Z=
    Thats definitely a +1

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

slavinator wrote:
    Lets try that again....

Fall without football would be awful. What may happen is the new football organization will benefit tremendously. They are signing a few "outcasts" from the NFL but if players see there will be a lockout they may start switching over. Afterall, some money is better than no money at all so a lot may be willing ot take the hit.

I think the owners are being logical and I don't blame them one bit for wanting to control the rookie salaries. However, if they don't be careful the lockout may come back to bite them. I guess there's always the LFL

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni

ejmat wrote:
    slavinator wrote:
    Lets try that again....

Fall without football would be awful. What may happen is the new football organization will benefit tremendously. They are signing a few "outcasts" from the NFL but if players see there will be a lockout they may start switching over. Afterall, some money is better than no money at all so a lot may be willing ot take the hit.
    I know the players union isn't a real union, but could the players actually do that without being considered SCABS in their own union?
    The operators and laborers just ended their strike in Chicago today. If they went out and worked for a non-union company while their union brothers were on strike, there is a good chance they would be thrown out of the union.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I can't see a big-name player like Peterson, Fitzgerald, Manning, etc. leaving to play in another league, then not being allowed back in the NFL. If they want back in, you can bet they'll be let back in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast