Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345 13 ... LastLast

Re: Postseason Possibilities?

"bender_over" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    After looking at the schedule, the best scenario is for Ron Mexico and the boys to beat the Bears tonight followed by a Bears loss at Lambeau followed by a Vikings win to start off 2006.

The Vikings win the NFCN outright.

Screw the tie-breakers.
    We don't want the Falcons to win. The Falcons @ Bears game has almost no implications on the NFC North. No matter if the Bears win or lose tonight, we need the Packers to beat the Bears. The only way tonight's game helps us to win the division is if we end up losing to the Ravens. Here are a couple scenarios:

If the Bears win tonight, they'd have 10 wins to our 8. If they lose to the Packers and we beat the Ravens next week, we'd have 9 wins to their 10. Then if we beat them at home the last game of the season, we'd each have 10 wins and it comes down to tie-breakers.

1.) head to head record (1-1) = push
    2.) division record (5-1 Vikings, 4-2 Bears) = Vikings win division

If the Bears lose tonight, they'd have 9 wins to our 8. If they beat the Packers and we beat the Ravens next week, they'd have 10 wins to our 9. If we beat them the last game of the year, we'd each have 10 wins and it comes down to tie-breakers.

1.) head to head (1-1) = push
    2.) division record (5-1 Vikings, 5-1 Bears) = push
    3.) record vs. common opponents (3-5 Vikings, 4-4 Bears) = Bears win division
    I thought the third tiebreaker was whoever had the better record against the conference? I'm not sure we would win that one anyway either.
    Skol!
    Go Vikings!

ABZORBED is offline Waterboy

"vikoles" wrote:
    I am in it till the end!

me too ....We can do it!!!!! We are VIKINGS fans and we bleed purple and will always be loyal!!!! * SKOL VIKINGS*
    aadddf9274e724b6e0b4a670438873a0

Prophet Guest

"bender_over" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    After looking at the schedule, the best scenario is for Ron Mexico and the boys to beat the Bears tonight followed by a Bears loss at Lambeau followed by a Vikings win to start off 2006.

The Vikings win the NFCN outright.

Screw the tie-breakers.
    We don't want the Falcons to win. The Falcons @ Bears game has almost no implications on the NFC North. No matter if the Bears win or lose tonight, we need the Packers to beat the Bears. The only way tonight's game helps us to win the division is if we end up losing to the Ravens. Here are a couple scenarios:

If the Bears win tonight, they'd have 10 wins to our 8. If they lose to the Packers and we beat the Ravens next week, we'd have 9 wins to their 10. Then if we beat them at home the last game of the season, we'd each have 10 wins and it comes down to tie-breakers.

1.) head to head record (1-1) = push
    2.) division record (5-1 Vikings, 4-2 Bears) = Vikings win division

If the Bears lose tonight, they'd have 9 wins to our 8. If they beat the Packers and we beat the Ravens next week, they'd have 10 wins to our 9. If we beat them the last game of the year, we'd each have 10 wins and it comes down to tie-breakers.

1.) head to head (1-1) = push
    2.) division record (5-1 Vikings, 5-1 Bears) = push
    3.) record vs. common opponents (3-5 Vikings, 4-4 Bears) = Bears win division
    OK, I was thinking conference and not division first, not that it mattered. Basically, my thought process is dead right now. I'm glad someone has it figured out.

"vikoles" wrote:
    I am in it till the end! We can do this if we get some help! I look for the Puckers to upset da bears and Atlanta to win tongiht!!! we win out too.........
    LOL i really messed that up

bender_over is offline Rookie

"NeoVikesTX" wrote:

I thought the third tiebreaker was whoever had the better record against the conference? I'm not sure we would win that one anyway either.
    The third tie-breaker is record in common games.

The fourth tie-breaker is conference record.

Chicago has already clinched both of those tie-breakers.

ok i have officially lost it lol

"Toss2Moss84" wrote:
    There's still some hope for this year. Randy Cross kept saying throughout the game that all Vikings fans are going to be watching, rooting against the Bears tonight. Actually, the game tonight has NO implications on the NFC North. The division will come down to the Bears @ Packers and the Bears @ Vikings.

For argument's sake say the Vikings beat the Ravens next week. Then if the Bears lose to the Falcons, beat the Packers, and lose to the Vikings - Chicago (10-6) would beat the Vikings (10-6) based on the third tie-breaker -record vs. common opponents (head to head and division record are the first two tie-breakers).

So no matter if the Bears win or lose tonight, we need the Packers to beat the Bears at Lambeau and then the division comes to the last game of the year at the Metrodome. If the Vikings would win, they'd win the division based on division record.

If anything, we want the Bears to beat the Falcons since Atlanta is one of the teams we're battling for the last wild card.

It pains me to say this but the team we should be rooting for the most next week besides our Vikes is the Green Bay Packers, ugh.

We should know if still have a chance for a Division title before kickoff of next weeks game.

LET's GO PACKERS!!!!! (that doesn't feel right)
    I see how it is, you copy and paste my post on another forum and don't give me credit. I see...

Just kidding you man.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

NFL Tie breaker rules:

http://www.purplepride.org/vikes/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=16921

"Prophet" wrote:

There are only two wildcard slots in the NFC.

The following teams still have hope. The tie-breaker goes with the best head-to-head, to games played within the division, to games played within the conference, etc.

So, that leaves us with needing a better record than the Falcons and/or Bucs and/or Panthers since they beat us in the head-to-head and would win a tie. If it goes to the next level it comes down to within the conference, again, another tight race.

Cowboys 8-6 (playing Redskins right now)
    NFC 6-3

Redskins 7-6 (playing Cowboys right now and leading 14-0 in 2nd)
    NFC 7-2

Vikings 8-6
    NFC 7-4

*Bucs 9-5 (own tie-breaker with Vikes)
    NFC 7-3

*Falcons 8-5 (play Bears tonight) (own tie-breaker with Vikes)
    NFC 5-4

*Panthers 10-4 (own tie-breaker with Vikes)
    NFC 7-3

*One of these teams will take the NFCS.

===============================================

The best option is to have the Bears lose out and the Vikings win out, or to have the Bears win tonight and lose at Lambeau and in MN, the Vikings need to win out. Either way they get the NFCN crown. The wildcard possibilities look too bleak.
    I agree. Our odds of relying on the Bears losing one game and us winning out are a lot better than us winning out and relying on about 50 tie-breakers between three other teams.

SamDawg84 Guest

Panthers and Bucs are gonna take the wildcards.. i hope bears lose tonight and lose some momentum

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345 13 ... LastLast